joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Observations for Sat Sun Mon winter storm

Winter201415

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nyc incoming looks good for a quick dusting to an inch. Heavy echoes approaching the 5 boroughs. Should be interesting considering this was a bust!

I spent the entire morning in Morristown waiting for stuff to my west to arrive. It never did. Felt exactly the same as when I kept waiting for the stuff to the east to Arrive a few Mondays ago in toms river. Those echoes look like sleet. Cross this one off folks. Next.

Had 1.5" snowfall after some ice in Dobbs Ferry...snowpack at 13" in my area.

Still hoping for a little light snow overnight.

Hmm, we don't usually have such a big spread between us.  I'm approaching 8 including 3" of sleet accumulation.  Not too much ice at all but enough that it compacted the snow and will make the cars a bear to clean in the morning.

Hmm, we don't usually have such a big spread between us.  I'm approaching 8 including 3" of sleet accumulation.  Not too much ice at all but enough that it compacted the snow and will make the cars a bear to clean in the morning.

I measured after the sleet was over, so I may have underestimated what we received. We definitely got a lot less though...there was a pretty big latitude gradient in this event both in terms of QPF and precipitation type. Almost all of the precipitation here was freezing rain and sleet, and it wasn't very heavy at all. We didn't flip back to snow until around 11-11:30am, and by that point the storm was basically over.. I know someone in Watertown, CT also measured around 7.5", so that definitely corroborates your measurement as it's a similar latitude as Mahopac.

Just to make the gradient clearer, LGA, JFK, and Newark all had 0.1-0.2" snow accumulation. Central Park only got a trace.

So the 1.5" up here was definitely a substantial increase over the reports in the City, although Central Park does have a tendency to undermeasure in smaller events and simply list a trace instead of a few tenths or half an inch.

Archived