joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Observations for Sat Sun Mon winter storm

Winter201415

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be declaring victory for any model just yet. The next batch coming in will probably drop a decent amount. The 09z SREF hangs precip around until at least 06z.

6z GFS has already busted miserably.

Look at it's hour 6 total precip. Which was 7am (already passed) and tell me if it's even close.

6z GFS has already busted miserably.

Look at it's hour 6 total precip. Which was 7am (already passed) and tell me if it's even close.

That's the batch currently moving through S CT. Looks like it was just a bit too far South. Also, there are some 30-40dbz echoes up there which are probably sleet. I wonder if the GFS is smart enough to know that or if it is some type of convective error.

This lull is great getting paid to chill now until the next batch. Broadway is totally just wet. Not as people are making it out to be

Broadway in Manhattan is probably not the greatest representation of a typical street. The amount of traffic alone is probably enough to overcome most of what has fallen.

It's a different story out here. Any untreated surfaces are almost impossible.

Apparently very icy in LB this morning.

LBFD updated about 6:30.

*WARNING*

As of 6:30am, all roads and sidewalks in Long Beach (and most of the surrounding area) are completely iced over. Please use extreme caution if you need to be outside. Take it slow! -

https://www.facebook.com/longbeachfiredepartment/photos/a.181240368746449.1073741833.164911420379344/332338580303293/?type=1&fref=nf

...looks to stay that way,joe...radar looks very unimpressive..we will get ours on thurs/fri.

'eastern special' coming soon to a theatre near you!!

...looks to stay that way,joe...radar looks very unimpressive..we will get ours on thurs/fri.

'eastern special' coming soon to a theatre near you!!

Look to your west this break was very well represented on the HRRR that precip east of state college is heading along 78 and will be in the city and onto long island in the next few hours.

The N shore of Long island is as sleet and ice covered.

The next batch should change to snow this afternoon on the coast.

Broadway in Manhattan is probably not the greatest representation of a typical street. The amount of traffic alone is probably enough to overcome most of what has fallen.

It's a different story out here. Any untreated surfaces are almost impossible.

Agreed broadway in manhattan I not a good example. I'm sure it nasty outside the city. When I left wantagh it was raining moderately with little sleet. So it makes sense that a place like long beach has the worst conditions with more freezing rain then the rest of the area

Agreed broadway in manhattan I not a good example. I'm sure it nasty outside the city. When I left wantagh it was raining moderately with little sleet. So it makes sense that a place like long beach has the worst conditions with more freezing rain then the rest of the area

In Northern Queens, untreated roads are sleet covered and almost all main roads and highway are heavily salted and easy to drive on.

Actually it's freezing rain once again here. Surprised we are still getting the frzrn. We are camped out in downtown Morristown (across from Starbucks)

850mb temps are still running +1C to +2C over that area, and I'm guessing that the warm layer is probably deeper than that given the ZR and not IP.

850mb_sf.gif?1423491164979

Archived