CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Late Weekend Storm Threat

IsentropicLift

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0.25" or so liquid isn't a disasterous icestorm, it's enough to cause tons of driving headaches but won't destroy infrastructure like over half an inch will.

This run of the GFS is pretty wet...probably greater than 0.75" for the City & Island.

0.25" or so liquid isn't a disasterous icestorm, it's enough to cause tons of driving headaches but won't destroy infrastructure like over half an inch will.

Fair enough. After the small amount of ice we had a few weeks back I'm weary. The problems here in Bergen county were ridiculous. First responders couldn't get to 911 calls because of the ice. Plus there's a salt "shortage" here.

Tell them they should try living in Boston or anywhere in interior NE right now...

Ehh, tons of snow are manageable. An icestorm (as I witnessed in State College more than once) can be more debilitating than anything. Despite the media covering Boston to no end early this week because they had so much more snow, the ice around NYC had just as much or more impact. It made it just above freezing across much of LI and lots of rain fell, then temps plunged into the 20s and freezing rain fell, then 3-4" of snow in 90 minutes. My town had accidents everywhere and my parents got a call from the county executive begging people to stay off the roads because of the huge number of accidents. The Long Beach FD was stretched to the limit that entire day clearing accidents off the road. Luckily no one was killed and there were no big power losses (the weak infrastructure was cleared post-Sandy so tree/power line damage in my town has been limited since then). 

The biggest pain in this event will be if anyone really does change to rain for 3-4 hours Monday afternoon, I think only ERN LI will, despite the RGEM and GFS show NYC going to rain still

If it's a NE wind, I don't see how anyone outside the Twin Forks goes to rain. It's all snowcovered land, a tiny strip of the LI Sound which is in the 30s, and no warm air source of any kind. The GFS/GGEM are also notoriously bad with surface temps.

Ehh, tons of snow are manageable. An icestorm (as I witnessed in State College more than once) can be more debilitating than anything. Despite the media covering Boston to no end early this week because they had so much more snow, the ice around NYC had just as much or more impact. It made it just above freezing across much of LI and lots of rain fell, then temps plunged into the 20s and freezing rain fell, then 3-4" of snow in 90 minutes. My town had accidents everywhere and my parents got a call from the county executive begging people to stay off the roads because of the huge number of accidents. The Long Beach FD was stretched to the limit that entire day clearing accidents off the road. Luckily no one was killed and there were no big power losses (the weak infrastructure was cleared post-Sandy so tree/power line damage in my town has been limited since then).

In addition to being a rescue Swimmer, I work for Suffolk as a medic. The roads were horrific Monday and we were backed up with calls. Driving was beyond treacherous and getting to emergency calls was painstakingly slow. If we get over . 5" of ice, well let's put it this way, Suffolk OEM is concerned already.

If it's a NE wind, I don't see how anyone outside the Twin Forks goes to rain. It's all snowcovered land, a tiny strip of the LI Sound which is in the 30s, and no warm air source of any kind. The GFS/GGEM are also notoriously bad with surface temps.

Its right around 060 on the GFS, thats the cutoff usually, anything from that and east changes over but I've seen the GFS show an 060 wind many times that verifies at 030

Its right around 060 on the GFS, thats the cutoff usually, anything from that and east changes over but I've seen the GFS show an 060 wind many times that verifies at 030

I would think a developing offshore low would pivot winds around to more of a NNE direction, like the NAM has it. I just have a hard time thinking the vast majority of the area goes to plain rain with such a cold airmass just north and northerly winds. And we just saw an outcome with more northerly winds than models had them, and therefore tons of ice for NYC and the coast and then the backend snow blitz.

The biggest pain in this event will be if anyone really does change to rain for 3-4 hours Monday afternoon, I think only ERN LI will, despite the RGEM and GFS show NYC going to rain still

Monday event showed rain,epically eastern long island...that didn't occur, cold air will likely funnel down Connecticut river valley's

Archived