Newest Member
    joxey
Late Weekend Storm Threat

IsentropicLift

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F-ing Boston....

I always write how February is a very good snow month for the Island; it goes double up over eastern Mass.

Boston seasonal snowfall through 1-23-15.....5.5".........seasonal snowfall by 2-6-15......54.2".

That's what I call am amazing few weeks. Will be interesting to see what the totals on the season

jump to after this event.

Good chance they hit 70" by the end of this, and Central Park might not even break 25" because so much might be sleet and ZR and less precip. Most think it's been a 40N and above winter but it's really been a SNE winter.

significant snow much closer than most want 2 admit but all r gun shy after the blizzard (west of central LI that is)

If these models are overestimating the warm push aloft just a drop...and its happened before...won't take much. 

I don't see 2m temps an issue from the city northbound.

Good chance they hit 70" by the end of this, and Central Park might not even break 25" because so much might be sleet and ZR and less precip. Most think it's been a 40N and above winter but it's really been a SNE winter.

This forum would be going bonkers if NYC ever got close to 50" in just 10 days.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/02/03/bostons-record-setting-snow-blitz-a-winters-worth-of-snow-in-less-than-10-days/

Boston snow blitz through Feb. 2

Jan. 27, “Blizzard of 2015″ — 22.1 inches (record for the date)

Feb. 2 — 16.2 inches (record for the date)

7-day total — 40.5 inches (record)

10-day total — 47.9 inches (record)

Season-to-date — 53.4 inches (over average, short of record)

This forum would be going bonkers if NYC ever got close to 50" in just 10 days.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/02/03/bostons-record-setting-snow-blitz-a-winters-worth-of-snow-in-less-than-10-days/

Boston snow blitz through Feb. 2

Jan. 27, “Blizzard of 2015″ — 22.1 inches (record for the date)

Feb. 2 — 16.2 inches (record for the date)

5-day total — 18.7 inches

7-day total — 40.5 inches (record)

10-day total — 47.9 inches (record)

Season-to-date — 53.4 inches (over average, short of record)

Pretty sure Logan Airport got about 48 inches from 21 January 1978 thru 7 February 1978...18 days, I guess.

(21" & 27" in the two separate blizzards...not sure if they got anything in between...when that huge low went up into the Ohio Valley around the end of January and was rain east of the mountains (or most of it)

I like your call Pamela. 

Remember that 1994 winter...with that sharp gradient...probably will be pretty similar towards Monday. 

Early Feb is our  best chance for snow. It doesn't mean you can never have rain but the odds are on our side

Given the WNW / ESE orientation of the flow aloft...heading NNE is probably the quickest angle to see snow totals go up...probably maxing out somewhere between the Mass Pike and southern N.H. 

I was thinking this could be like the early January 1994 storm, I think Bridgeport had 8 inches that day while Long Island was mostly sleet or freezing rain

We had about 3 ice storms that month...which was which is no longer fresh in my mind. 

On your RGEM comment...this stuff is not close to over through 48 on that model...there's activity down through the Delmarva at Hour 54...FWIW, I've seen this area with pretty fair snowstorms conjured out of far worse synoptic setups at far worse times of the year...when I see that huge anticyclone ever so slightly retreating south of Labrador by day 3...I sort of think of the positioning of the High back on 12/12/1992...and how this area came within maybe 30 miles (and 500 feet of altitude) of a huge December snow event...of course, a lot of differences between this & that...

i see lots of congrats sne, there is a good chunk of the western and southwestern zones that while having a nice stretch are absolutely nothing like whats going on in central and eastern areas....hfd spfd to greenfield to e slopes of berks still have a long ways to go to be on par with those folk. the " blizzard " was generally every bit of the same bust back this way as the nyc metro area and areas nw of the pike in western areas did even worse

FWIW, the RGEM's cousin...the GEM LAM...was a little less promising with snowfall...especially over N. Jersey...I take that model pretty seriously...but it still is outside its deadly range (inside 24) as most of this stuff should hold off till after dark Sunday. 

i see lots of congrats sne, there is a good chunk of the western and southwestern zones that while having a nice stretch are absolutely nothing like whats going on in central and eastern areas....hfd spfd to greenfield to e slopes of berks still have a long ways to go to be on par with those folk. the " blizzard " was generally every bit of the same bust back this way as the nyc metro area and areas nw of the pike in western areas did even worse

Windsor Locks has 34" on the winter...the airport on the mountain up in Worcester has 78"...so what you said is basically correct. 

Archived