joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SuperBowl Storm Observations

sferic

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 5" of snow before a change to SLT/FR. Never went to all rain. Over .25" of ice on anything not treated or that isn't moving. Currently 26.2 on my VP2. lights flickered 3x since about 10:30.

Nice hold on the  N shore .  You will snow again later after FRZ 

29.6 degrees here in Edison.  Sort of unsure on snowfall, somewhere between 3-4" I think before changeover.  If this next slug of moisture is ZR as well, icing will become a problem.

my office is in Raritan Center, just noticed that Ice is starting to accrete on the trees

Nice hold on the N shore . You will snow again later after FRZ

Yep as usual we never flipped. Smithtown, San Remo, Kings Park, Fort Salonga and Northport are a snow/ice zone on the N Shore that usually bucks the "Norm" for LI. Getting really bad at this point. Tree branches sagging significantly and crackling with every wind gust. That slug of FRZ isn't going to help. Also think we could see 2-4" of SN on the backside making things very dangerous tonight.

It has been sleeting here and the temperature is down to 24.  We may be dodging a bullet with respect to an ice storm.

There is roughly 0.1" ice accretion.  Precip has become very light in the past few minutes and is currently light ice pellets mixed with a little freezing drizzle.  Hopefully any heavier precip will now be sleet (or snow later) and we might get away with only a light icing event.

Snowdepth, which was down to 11" before the snow started is now at 14"...looks like a nice solid net gain as a few of my island homeys were predicting (I was expecting something similar as well).

It has been sleeting here and the temperature is down to 24.  We may be dodging a bullet with respect to an ice storm.

There is roughly 0.1" ice accretion.  Precip has become very light in the past few minutes and is currently light ice pellets mixed with a little freezing drizzle.  Hopefully any heavier precip will now be sleet (or snow later) and we might get away with only a light icing event.

Snowdepth, which was down to 11" before the snow started is now at 14"...looks like a nice solid net gain as a few of my island homeys were predicting (I was expecting something similar as well).

I believe you and all all of NYC and LI flips to snow in the next hour or 2.

Yep as usual we never flipped. Smithtown, San Remo, Kings Park, Fort Salonga and Northport are a snow/ice zone on the N Shore that usually bucks the "Norm" for LI. Getting really bad at this point. Tree branches sagging significantly and crackling with every wind gust. That slug of FRZ isn't going to help. Also think we could see 2-4" of SN on the backside making things very dangerous tonight.

Similar here, but some of the weight sagging the tree branches is snow, which is now crusted with ice.

Of course it should be similar here.  I think we are about 3 miles apart.

It has been sleeting here and the temperature is down to 24. We may be dodging a bullet with respect to an ice storm.

There is roughly 0.1" ice accretion. Precip has become very light in the past few minutes and is currently light ice pellets mixed with a little freezing drizzle. Hopefully any heavier precip will now be sleet (or snow later) and we might get away with only a light icing event.

Snowdepth, which was down to 11" before the snow started is now at 14"...looks like a nice solid net gain as a few of my island homeys were predicting (I was expecting something similar as well).

Bill I'm surprised you've only seen that much ice. This picture was taken at 8am and we have probably doubled what is on the branches at this point. Pretty significant icing over here.

post-3180-0-26403600-1422896477_thumb.jp

Almost .20" of precip as snow on the latest RAP for NYC and LI.

Coast should capitalize in a short while as the coastal takes over.

Mid-level temps are still going to be too warm to produce good ratios. I wouldn't expect anything more than 6:1. So your 0.20" LE is probably only an inch or two. It's been flipping here between flurries and moderate snow for about 45 minutes and isn't accumulating. And the surface here is down into the low 20's.

Question. In Easton CT we had around 6.5 this morning. Now switching back to snow. Do I remove the old snow and count the 2 measurements or just one final at the end including the compaction?

I think it is ok to clear in this situation.  There was an accumulation of snow and then a phase change for an extended period.  You would measure the greatest depth of snow and sleet during that combined period.  If there is subsequently another period of snowfall, I'd measure that separately and add the total of the 2 measurements for the day.

On the other hand, if it snowed 6" overnight, then stopped for a few hours, then snowed another 6" during the afternoon and the greatest new snow depth was 10", then you would report 10" as the day's snowfall (not 12").

You might want to confirm with someone like Ray Martin;  I am not 100% sure, but I think the phase change thing is handled differently as I mentioned above.

These days, the official standard for wiping a board in most instances is once per day and reporting the greatest depth prior to wiping as the snowfall.  I think that it is not uniformly applied, even across first order climate stations, so it is understandable that there is a lot of confusion out there about how to measure snow.  The irony is, I think they changed form the wipe no more than every 6 hours standard to reduce confusion :)

Mid-level temps are still going to be too warm to produce good ratios. I wouldn't expect anything more than 6:1. So your 0.20" LE is probably only an inch or two. It's been flipping here between flurries and moderate snow for about 45 minutes and isn't accumulating. And the surface here is down into the low 20's.

Lift is better from NYC and east, once the coastal takes over.

Archived