joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 1-2 Winter Event Obs

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a cold front pressing south that's partially across northern PA (south of Bacon Strips), not sure how far south it will make it, but that would become the warm front as the storm moves closer I believe.

barely south.  could be right along route 80 at the moment.  

if it pushes further south, we know the High is winning out.

the guys in the 30's, I wouldn't worry just yet.  Dewpoints will take ya down....plus we gotta watch this High. 

Mt Pocono the last 3 hours :

West

WNW

West

awesome wind map, shows the front -   (zoom in )

http://hint.fm/wind/

barely south.  could be right along route 80 at the moment.  

if it pushes further south, we know the High is winning out.

the guys in the 30's, I wouldn't worry just yet.  Dewpoints will take ya down....plus we gotta watch this High. 

Mt Pocono the last 3 hours :

West

WNW

West

awesome wind map, shows the front -   (zoom in )

http://hint.fm/wind/

Check out AVP. It's been steady out of the SW this morning. 

I'm originally from the LV, and I feel for you guys.  What could have been...   I'm glad that nearly all of you have the proper expectations for this storm.  Some of the worst busts I ever recall came from SWFE storms.  The warm air seems to always arrive much more quickly at upper levels than forecast and the front end dump becomes an inch of snow turning to ice and possibly a dry slot.  At least that seemed to happen a lot.  Good luck anyway, and I do hope you get something on the backside.

I'm originally from the LV, and I feel for you guys.  What could have been...   I'm glad that nearly all of you have the proper expectations for this storm.  Some of the worst busts I ever recall came from SWFE storms.  The warm air seems to always arrive much more quickly at upper levels than forecast and the front end dump becomes an inch of snow turning to ice and possibly a dry slot.  At least that seemed to happen a lot.  Good luck anyway, and I do hope you get something on the backside.

This storm doesn't feel like a bust like the last storm (obviously i know it didnt happen yet but let's assume for a minute it goes the way it is looking).  It just got warmer as we got closer to the event, which happens a lot with these SWFE events. 

Tiny flakes here as well. Temp is still 36.

This happens time and time and again. Yet people don't learn.

I'm hovering 33, which was my forecasted high for today. Yet everyone is slashing totals, rain rain rain they say. Even EPAWA is slashing totals ( big red flag that we are going to get hammered)

CAD at its finest, the Lehigh valley always over performs with these events. NWS just updated WSW to 3-8" with .2" ice, no plain rain. Wfmz is on board with no rain as well. Gonna be a nasty commute in the morning.

That front end thump is racing east

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was just out and saw some tiny tiny lazy flurries drifting around. ^_^

OBS

Overcast and hazy with occasional flurries

Temp 39.6F

Winds SW light

Didn't expect the temp to blowtorch before the event.  I can see why the models were having issues. Wonder if we see an occluded front later.

I know what you are saying, but it is funny to hear normal temperatures referred to as a blowtorch.   Dews are still pretty low here, I think it starts as frozen.

This happens time and time and again. Yet people don't learn.

I'm hovering 33, which was my forecasted high for today. Yet everyone is slashing totals, rain rain rain they say. Even EPAWA is slashing totals ( big red flag that we are going to get hammered)

CAD at its finest, the Lehigh valley always over performs with these events. NWS just updated WSW to 3-8" with .2" ice, no plain rain. Wfmz is on board with no rain as well. Gonna be a nasty commute in the morning.

That front end thump is racing east

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah I noticed WFMZ had Berks in the 4-8 as well and they are usually the most conservative, its 35 here with a dp 22. We shall see  

I know what you are saying, but it is funny to hear normal temperatures referred to as a blowtorch.   Dews are still pretty low here, I think it starts as frozen.

Ain't that the truth, although given how cold it was this past week, it was a surprise to see the temps creep above the mid-30s.  Hoping to avoid ZR with the ground so cold.

Archived