joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Superbowl Snowstorm Thread Part 3

TugHillMatt

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still snowing here, but lightly. About 0.5" or so thus far. 

0z NAM north again, and reduces snow totals further for LAF. Looks like a 4-8" spread from south to north in the county. Only about 20-30 miles left of wiggle room now, before well...yeah. Oh well. 

Enjoy the storm folks...and good luck to all. :)

Not too late to get to IKK. 

We normally play the game with the longer range "clown maps" by cutting qpf. What is the process when we are looking at 24-36 hours? Are these snowfall maps generally more accurate?

I'm still not expecting (nor will I ever) expect 14"+ in the Detroit metro area. Climo says no, so until it's on the ground, I expect a traditional "strong" event of 8-11".

Understandable, but with a climate record of just over 100 years old, records are also pretty easy to break.

Cutting the QPF is standard practice, especially with the NAM, but this storm has outstanding moisture and all the models are going nuts with the QPF. I don't think anyone knows how much to cut it, if any. Maybe it's even underdone? I honestly couldn't tell you.

18" or bust :)

I was expecting the NAM to slightly go the other way ... Wow ... now I am going to be up half the night waiting on the other models. :lol:

Latest NAM and 4km NAM runs would give you upwards of 18" even as far north as you are. Over 22" IMBY. Obviously not expecting that, but the signs point to north being the way to go...

Timmer says possible thundersnow in Chicago tonight???  Don't know that parameters are quite there for that...

Light snow should begin to fall in Chicago in the next few hours, and then gradually intensify thereafter. Even thunder snow possible late tonight!

source FB

decent flakes pouring down....gonna go measure in a bit here

lol! The GRR NWS has slowly been upping their totals throughout the evening. I wonder what they will do now with that NAM run.

If 93 is on they may go back to a WWA ... :P ... seriously I imagine both GRR &DTX will wait until the GFS & EURO come out before changing anything. If the trend continues they will have some big adjustments to do.

To answer your question from the other thread ... yes the is a ton of open land in Livingston county (lots of farms).

Latest NAM and 4km NAM runs would give you upwards of 18" even as far north as you are. Over 22" IMBY. Obviously not expecting that, but the signs point to north being the way to go...

It is hard for me to hold off my excitement and remain level headed seeing what we're seeing. Now I just want it to start ... The waiting process is the worst!!!!!

And the RGEM joins the stronger/farther NW party. Good sign. That looks very similar to the 12z and 18z GFS. Even if midnight shift doesn't opt to upgrade to a Blizzard Warning, chances are increasing for us needing to issue one. I'll be there in the morning tomorrow helping out if the decision still needs to be made. 

If 93 is on they may go back to a WWA ... :P ... seriously I imagine both GRR &DTX will wait until the GFS & EURO come out before changing anything. If the trend continues they will have some big adjustments to do.

To answer your question from the other thread ... yes the is a ton of open land in Livingston county (lots of farms).

LOL! I always know we're doomed when "93" and "JK" do the forecasts together. When they do the forecasts, it's like we live in Georgia. :P

This storm is looking sweet for you! Have fun playing in all those fields!

And the RGEM joins the stronger/farther NW party. Good sign. That looks very similar to the 12z and 18z GFS. Even if midnight shift doesn't opt to upgrade to a Blizzard Warning, chances are increasing for us needing to issue one. I'll be there in the morning tomorrow helping out if the decision still needs to be made. 

2z RAP down to 1003mb and taking into to Indy it looks like..

post-266-0-23662600-1422760938_thumb.gif

Still snowing here, but lightly. About 0.5" or so thus far.

0z NAM north again, and reduces snow totals further for LAF. Looks like a 4-8" spread from south to north in the county. Only about 20-30 miles left of wiggle room now, before well...yeah. Oh well.

Enjoy the storm folks...and good luck to all. :)

I think I'll do okay but really am sad the better snow totals are going north. I really thought we had a chance a,few days ago to rival VD 2007.

Archived