Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part II

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok....just got up (went to bed around 2:45).  I haven't measured yet, but when I went to bed I had a total of only 2.4".  Eyeballing, I'd say another inch tops, or around 3.5".

I think compaction played a bigger role in keeping my total down.  For me this storm underperformed.  NWS had me in 6-8", it seemed pretty likely I'd get around 6.  Once again, points north, west, and east did better.  Not sure about south, although I thought I read a report in York county of 5".

Oh well...on to the clipper.

Boy was I wrong with my estimate.  It was only 2.5" total on the board, which was just 0.1" more than the 2.4" I had at 2:45am.  WOW.

Total liquid since midnight was 0.26".  Total liquid for the storm was 0.41" for 2.5" of snow which gives a ratio of 6:1.  So I guess there was major compaction even though my temp was 32.0 from 3:00 until 8:00am.

Interesting stats for sure.  I think I might get more from the clipper than from this one.  We'll see.

Boy was I wrong with my estimate.  It was only 2.5" total on the board, which was just 0.1" more than the 2.4" I had at 2:45am.  WOW.

Total liquid since midnight was 0.26".  Total liquid for the storm was 0.41" for 2.5" of snow which gives a ratio of 6:1.  So I guess there was major compaction even though my temp was 32.0 from 3:00 until 8:00am.

Interesting stats for sure.  I think I might get more from the clipper than from this one.  We'll see.

I honk compaction is to "blame", yeah.

It's a good shoveling snow. It's wet but easy to scrap up. I ended up being in a good mood and hand-shoveling our 70' alley.*

* I'm sure to regret this tomorrow.

You must be a whole lot younger than me. I just came in from shoveling and feel like I'm going to fall over. Oh yeah...I guess I shouldn't have waited until after the plow threw those 2 foot tall giant ice balls in the driveway.  :lmao:

Edit: Just saw a report of 6.4" from E-town, which is 4 miles north of me. Now I'm wondering how much I really had before I went out this morning. 

I think I'm just gonna be stoked about the 1 to 3 clipper is locking in on, redevelopers typically only pan out in E New England.

Ya, I think hoping for the storm's main, well-developed precip shield to make it all the way back west to central PA is a bit of a fool's errand, unfortunately. But the precip amounts as the clipper swings through and to our south have increased again in the models, and I'll be more than happy if we get another 1-3 inches.

Ya, I think hoping for the storm's main, well-developed precip shield to make it all the way back west to central PA is a bit of a fool's errand, unfortunately. But the precip amounts as the clipper swings through and to our south have increased again in the models, and I'll be more than happy if we get another 1-3 inches.

Yeah it's looking like a lot of modeling has us just either side of 0.5" liquid for the clipper.  Could be a nice fluffy 3-6" on top of our already solid snow cover.  The always fun snow on snow on snow!

Also looks like more chances 1/29-30 and 2/1-2.

Yeah it's looking like a lot of modeling has us just either side of 0.5" liquid for the clipper.  Could be a nice fluffy 3-6" on top of our already solid snow cover.  The always fun snow on snow on snow!

Also looks like more chances 1/29-30 and 2/1-2.

I had heard something about this earlier...what's that looking like?

I had heard something about this earlier...what's that looking like?

A low coming out of the Plains and a clipper get together over Iowa/Illinois and that tracks along I-70, nice precip shield to the north. Obviously way too far out for details, but looks good for at least another typical clipper event.

Archived