• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 3-4, 2015 Storm Obs/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

Wondering the same thing.  Nothing worse than iced over slush going into a cold snap with additional snow.  I think most if not all melts tomorrow though.  Mid and upper 50s should do the trick.  Maybe Lowell stays chillier longer with the cold tuck though?

I thought maybe if we dryslotted and that secondary surface low kept us cool, it might become an issue, but looks like more rain filling in. I'll make the decision in the AM. At least the plows came out to make a pass on my street. Only took 'em about 5 hours.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's a common mistake in map reading, that precip has already fallen, look at the link I posted

that is what I would think is going on

the old "look where 0c 850 line is at the end of the 6 hr period , when precip may have ALREADY stopped an hour or two prior. Click the next 6 hr period, how much precip you see falls west of where that 850c  line WAS in other time stamp.  Most is well east...which means it ended before 850's were below 0c

Its going to freeze up somewhere, that's a given. When I left the cabin yesterday there was still about 2" of cemented snow otg and about 1" of solid ice on the drive. Add 4-5" of snow and tomorrows precip to that and it ain't going anywhere till March. Down here it's been a different story and while I believe there's no snow in my immediate future (agree precip delayed by 6 hrs by maps) it is going to freeze up tomorrow afternoon/evening. I'm not sure I believe the 50's push.

that is what I would think is going on

the old "look where 0c 850 line is at the end of the 6 hr period , when precip may have ALREADY stopped an hour or two prior. Click the next 6 hr period, how much precip you see falls near where that line was.....most is well east...which means it ended before 850's hit zero.

or just look at SIM radar or go to a better graphical output site

how the heck would you say 1.9, I totally loled, Scott call it 2 ,Geezus,thanks for the laugh, I really need it tonight

Well based on other rpts and then radar etc. It might be more, but I'm not going to risk inflation. Maybe 2 is a good ball park, but I try to come up with a method to my madness.

Shoveling was right idea, 26F with freezing drizzle and everything well glazed. I'm dumbfounded that the town only sanded and did not plow. Street is already starting to lock up with frozen tire tracks and 4" ruts. Brand new DPW director from out of town clearly not familiar with our CAD here. lol

Have always heard that they leave the snow when the forecast is for rain to follow in order to let it "soak up" the rain and sleet. I haven't heard a plow go by here at all yet.

I think that's worse,you cleared the snow now have straight ice. I would leave the snow, let it ice up then remove it when precip stop

Oh' I know.

Long driveway and snow blower getting on in years so wanted to take care of the bulk.  I started before the full transition to sleet to ensure I would have a crust to dig under and lift tomorrow for final clean up. 

Also have 5 buckets of salt/sand to spread for the brief window of low 40's I get tomorrow.

I know thats precip that has fallen but theres a period where it looked like we would see flakes just to tired to look again lol

There was a little QPF in some of SNE after the H85 0c clears, but the low levels are torched. Maybe the top of Wachusett got a mangled piece of graupel that run.

Archived