Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2015 ENSO super thread

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slick 90 day SST anomaly animation of new high resolution product from the NESDIS Coral Reef Watch site

http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/bleaching5km/animation_current/ssta_animation_90day_large.gif

Very nice animation, easy to load and smooth to view.  It's interesting to see the persistence of the GOA warm pool.  

Wow.

Welcome back!

Great to see you on here, Chuck....

Cheers brother. :)

A while ago I did research correlating Jun-August SSTA's in the North Atlantic with the following Winter's NAO state. The research proved to have high statistical accuracy.

This Jun-Aug has a super -NAO signal in the Atlantic. One of the strongest signals I've ever seen, actually.

Cheers brother. :)

A while ago I did research correlating Jun-August SSTA's in the North Atlantic with the following Winter's NAO state. The research proved to have high statistical accuracy.

This Jun-Aug has a super -NAO signal in the Atlantic. One of the strongest signals I've ever seen, actually.

I remember that.

It nailed the 2007 season when  many thought we'd see a fun winter bc of the moderate Nino.

I would guess this also becomes more central based and 1&2 cools down eventually because I think that maybe tied into the NAO.

IF the NAO is negative....I've been  hedging positive.

This El Nino is likely close to a peak. The subsurface and OLR trends are waning a bit vs where they were earlier in the year. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that the El Nino peaks in October-Nov, then weakens a bit for the Winter.

Research shows that it perhaps isn't the strength of the El Nino but it's tendency to strengthen vs cool that correlates best with Winter weather conditions. This makes sense, I think, because factors that contribute too SSTA cooling/warming are the main conductors of the weather patterns (OLR, MJO, etc...). If I'm right and the El Nino peaks early, we have a good shot at another awesome Winter in the east, 02-03 esq.

I believe the average peak is November-December, but some have peaked in Dec-Jan.

I anticipated a 1.8* Oct-Nov peak in my preliminary outlook like 5 weeks ago....

http://www.easternmassweather.blogspot.com/

The only aspect I'm now nervous about and may amend is my call for a positive AO/NAO.

This has greater implications for the MA imho.....may not change much up here....and actually be bad for nne.

Welcome back Chuck! Your thoughts always add a lot.

I've been kind of torn for the past month. In the fall of 2010 I started correlating GOAK ssta in September with the ability of winter to deliver in the east coast. It has worked every year and I expect this year will be no exception but let's see where it is in 2 weeks before I buy the snowblower.

The big difference is the warm pool in the GOA this year.

The big difference is warm pool in the GOA this year. I think signs point to ridging happening further west this Winter vs 97-98.

Welcome back, Chuck.

The GOA warm pool is a potentially huge variable and so far it appears that this El Niño's warmest anomalies will likely be in Region 3.4 rather than 1+2.  

Welcome back, Chuck.

The GOA warm pool is a potentially huge variable and so far it appears that this El Niño's warmest anomalies will likely be in Region 3.4 rather than 1+2.  

Hey Don,

No argument at all, as I am not versed well enough in the particulars of ENSO to even formulate a worthy retort, but how can you discern that 3.4 is favored for the largest departures at this juncture?

Subsurface?

Region 1.2 is still the warmest, no?

I know it is highly unstable, so....

Archived