joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Annual Grinch Storm: Christmas Cataclysm

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Complete weenie but it's also a serious question from a learning perspective. I thought storms cutting that far west often end up being a lot snowier than modeled because of CAD and secondary formation. Is that bogus? Or is there something inherent in this setup that doesn't allow for that?

no Arctic air in place

The arctic jet gets involved with this Grinch storm, the problem is its been modeled consistently as being a Great Lakes superstorm of magnitude.  Feet of snow type of storm system, mega QPF output with GOM origins, almost a triple phase superbomb, the GGEM wants to bring this up the eastern US coastline as a bomb over New England.  With a positive PNA still in phase I suspect this will come east as well.

The arctic jet gets involved with this Grinch storm, the problem is its been modeled consistently as being a Great Lakes superstorm of magnitude.  Feet of snow type of storm system, mega QPF output with GOM origins, almost a triple phase superbomb, the GGEM wants to bring this up the eastern US coastline as a bomb over New England.  With a positive PNA still in phase I suspect this will come east as well.

http://www.wavlist.com/soundfx/019/bath-flush1.wav

Christmas eve 1994, 72 mph gust, no power that Christmas morning with 3 kids, yea no thanks. the inversion is strong so we probably have 35-45 meh winds

Its weaker than the last previous three events, its only a change of around 2.5C in the inversion itself and between 970mb and 950mb.  The wind at the top of the inversion layer is around 85 knots.

Need a seperate thread for the storm disco. A very noticeable east trend the last 36 hours from over Chi then DET and now Near NYC. Still a Rainer to the Canaduam border but further east track may deliver a flip to snow enough to whiten things up a bit for Xmas morning. Winds actuallysy be stronger than initially thought since the east trend plays helps eliminate the inversion somewhat.

Can mets talk wind potential both front side and backside ?

There is potential for wind. That's about all we can say at this point.

If the LLJ doesn't focus over SNE, you'll see pretty ordinary winds (see the Euro). If you get the GFS solution and the LLJ does focus over SNE, then you could mix down some 40-45 kt gusts based on Bufkit soundings. Backside is pretty standard CAA type gusty day (i.e. not advisory level).

But why would we use the GFS for anything.

Archived