joxey
Winter 2014-15 Med/Long Range Discussion Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HYPED for this event.

LES looks immense. Nice.

Also should bring a nice shot of show before that sets in.

Same, the LES at the end should be amazing here in the Ontario snow-belts. I'm very excited and I don't mind if its just a historic windstorm...better than nothing. A severe blizzard would be tops of course so I'm rooting for that outcome here in ON.

I don't think I would call it a "Grinch Storm". I know why some want to call it that, I just don't like it.

One of those idiots tossing 200 hr+ snowfall maps out with no other explanation. Getting the public riled up for the 24" of snow that will inevitably be a DAB.

He tossed out one map like that last year, and he's been savaged about that ever since. I follow him a lot, and in general he does a fine job. I haven't found him to overly hype things. He's young and learning, but I've found him to be right more often than not.

With the models now trending towards a later phasing storm on the 24/25th, the 2nd storm ends up being much more interesting for the 26/27th.  Has a real nice baroclinic zone to ride, and some of the coldest air of the season moving in behind it.  One concern is that it cuts too much, and ends up tracking through Iowa like the 00z Euro control indicated.  (The mean is a bit further east over Illinois). 

euro showing one hell of a SE ridge by day 10....normally a good thing but this one flexes well into my neck of the woods.

The baroclinic zone following the 26/27th system lays out nicely over the southern states.  Gulf still wide open with some more potential energy moving in from the west.  Could easily see something blow up with that as we head towards New Years.

With the models now trending towards a later phasing storm on the 24/25th, the 2nd storm ends up being much more interesting for the 26/27th. Has a real nice baroclinic zone to ride, and some of the coldest air of the season moving in behind it. One concern is that it cuts too much, and ends up tracking through Iowa like the 00z Euro control indicated. (The mean is a bit further east over Illinois).

Well said. I kind of have always been more interested in this system given the more traditional look. Wave ejecting over a sharp baroclinic zone with much more cold air to work with on the NW side. Just gotta hope there is enough wave spacing for this to do something and not shear itself out and become a wave along a front. Recent trends have been a little better.

Verbatim the PGFS would lay down a nice swath of heavy snow from Iowa to Wisconsin.  Kind of a classic track for December it seems.  With how models have been lately I wouldn't be too concerned with exact placement.  The fact that there will be a big storm system to follow in this time frame should be interesting.  As T-snow mentioned, this one has a more traditional evolution to it along advancing arctic air, so hopefully the models do a better job with this one going forward lol.

What? 

GEM is a good/big snow event from DSM to ORD along/north of 88. Really riding the edge but still like our chances with this one. 

yeah, i was thinking it would cut more. It's a nice hit. All that said, I'm leaning more towards a miss south than rain with that one. Just don't see heights amping enough in wake of the massive retrograding canadian low.

yeah, i was thinking it would cut more. It's a nice hit. All that said, I'm leaning more towards a miss south than rain with that one. Just don't see heights amping enough in wake of the massive retrograding canadian low.

Still getting a wide swath of solutions from hits, to cutting west to miss south. But the misses south aren't by a ton. 

Archived