joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Vendor/TV thread

Ottawa Blizzard

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a teen I was a fan of Cosgrove's daily digest. He definitely had a bit of an EC bias but I still found his discussion informative. Then came the Katrina fiasco in 2005 when he was adamant to the bitter end that the hurricane would re-curve to the NE and pound the EC. Of course, Katrina ended up coming due north into the OV, as per every wx model out there. Really the straw that broke the camels back. Never read him after that. Not even sure if he still does the daily progs.

Pros:

Bastardi: Passionate about weather

DT: Analysis of weather patterns

Cosgrove: Great discussions

Cons:

Bastardi: Arrogant; Too much testosterone

DT: Grumpy; Too much testosterone

Cosgrove; Passive; Too little testosterone

The end. :P

Ha!  That almost made me spit out my drink as I read it.

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

I saw that a few days ago and it was gold.

The problem I have with DT is that he is rude and insulting to people who don't share his views. He seems to have a hate-on against JB and takes jabs at him all the time. While JB does go overboard with his criticism of the NWS, I've never heard of read anything where he personally attacks another met. On the contrary, he once praised Tom Skilling on one of his long ranger videos at accuweather a few years aback.

Larry Cosgrove used to post on the Canadian weather forums about a decade ago. He's a good man but, as canuck pointed out, his forecasts are often off.

Agreed, met him at the conference this year, and that is definitely true.

JB came to one of the old conferences too.  I think he happened to be in town for a wedding or was passing through or something.  Didn't really interact with him but I admit I had a "wow, there's JB" moment when he entered the hotel.  :lol:

As a teen I was a fan of Cosgrove's daily digest. He definitely had a bit of an EC bias but I still found his discussion informative. Then came the Katrina fiasco in 2005 when he was adamant to the bitter end that the hurricane would re-curve to the NE and pound the EC. Of course, Katrina ended up coming due north into the OV, as per every wx model out there. Really the straw that broke the camels back. Never read him after that. Not even sure if he still does the daily progs.

Cosgrove was the OCM for the ABC local news channel here in Columbus when I was in high school.  I loved watching him because he always had a different forecast than the NWS.   I admit he definitely wore snow goggles and always seemed to have an app runner somewhere in the forecast.   Still he seemed like a nice guy and from what I understand it was pretty ugly when the station cut him loose.

I copied this post from the medium range thread to be saved for posterity.

JB has mentioned that before. Some teleconnection or oscillation or something is going to flip and he thinks the cold will shift more to the western US. 

If you want to sell beer add a scantily clad women....

For weather; hype it cold or warm depending on the season and add a storm or two...

I think you get better overall understanding of the current pattern from a forum of experts(here) rather than a weather view moderated by $$.

If you want to sell beer add a scantily clad women....

For weather; hype it cold or warm depending on the season and add a storm or two...

I think you get better overall understanding of the current pattern from a forum of experts(here) rather than a weather view moderated by $$.

post-830-0-74009900-1417891555_thumb.jpg

If we're discussing TV mets...Who's the best TV met in the GLOV?

how can it be skilling in the OV when he isn't a tv met in the OV???   I didn't know who the heck he was until I came here.   From what I've seen he's pretty much liked as your hometown favorite for all the reasons we all kind of like our favorite hometown OCM.  He's been around for decades,  has a bit of weenie in him,  and he doesn't spew the NWS forecast.  Other than that he has the typical biases that cause him to often bust high on snowfall amounts for the Chicago area....from what I've witnessed seeing here at least.

Our equivalent is named Jym Ganahl, he's been the NBC affiliate chief OCM in Columbus since 1978, and to his credit, although he has the usual back yard bias weenie stuff going on, sometimes he's frustratingly conservative.

Could argue it's not in the GLOV per Americanwx definition, but Don Paul out of WIVB in Buffalo is God. 

Honestly, only have ever seen clips of Skilling, but I doubt you could convince me that he's superior to Paul.

Do you have a video of Don Paul's forecasting by chance?

Buffalo's a relatively small market, so most haven't seen/heard of him.

Cosgrove was the OCM for the ABC local news channel here in Columbus when I was in high school.  I loved watching him because he always had a different forecast than the NWS.   I admit he definitely wore snow goggles and always seemed to have an app runner somewhere in the forecast.   Still he seemed like a nice guy and from what I understand it was pretty ugly when the station cut him loose.

He doesn't still work out of Columbus does he? Because I thought his EC bias was pretty self-evident but that might be a bit off if he's located west of the mountains. 

how can it be skilling in the OV when he isn't a tv met in the OV???   I didn't know who the heck he was until I came here.   From what I've seen he's pretty much liked as your hometown favorite for all the reasons we all kind of like our favorite hometown OCM.  He's been around for decades,  has a bit of weenie in him,  and he doesn't spew the NWS forecast.  Other than that he has the typical biases that cause him to often bust high on snowfall amounts for the Chicago area....from what I've witnessed seeing here at least.

Our equivalent is named Jym Ganahl, he's been the NBC affiliate chief OCM in Columbus since 1978, and to his credit, although he has the usual back yard bias weenie stuff going on, sometimes he's frustratingly conservative.

I can't think of any hometown mets I particularly care for.

I mean, most of them in the Detroit market aren't bad forecasters. But they don't seem to have or express the same level of enthusiasm in weather, as far as weenie-ism and in the detail of their forecasts, that folks like Tom Skilling do. 

Archived