joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i really hope the pattern change doesnt get pushed back any further it would be very discouraging to not have a good pattern to start off january.

Don't know if this is a serious post, but who's been pushing back the pattern change?

Also, bad post dissing DM. He posts a lot more of value than many, and it's good to have alternate outcomes presented even if you think it's wrong or it's not what you want to see.

Don't know if this is a serious post, but who's been pushing back the pattern change?

Also, bad post dissing DM. He posts a lot more of value than many, and it's good to have alternate outcomes presented even if you think it's wrong or it's not what you want to see.

awhile back i heard it was gunna be around the 15th then around the 20th now people are saying after christmas...

Guys for the record Tommy and I are cool with each other.
DM is a VG poster and it's great that we can all go back and forth with different ideas.

I wish there was more of it.
We all like the weather. So I hope everyone gets what they want for Xmas.

A number of thoughts...

1. The pattern change will begin around the 17th as a cold front moves eastward. The transitional period will probably last a week +/- a few days.

2. Given repeated runs of the GFS ensembles, ECMWF ensembles, and operational ECMWF, a moderate to possibly significant coastal storm (sizable area with 0.50" qpf or higher) in the 12/21-22 timeframe appears more likely than not.

3. The possible coastal storm would not be a KU snowstorm. The pattern will still be in transition. Coastal areas including the NYC metro area would probably see some snow and perhaps even some accumulation, but the best chance for 4" or more snow would be interior areas i.e., northeastern Pennsylvania, northwestern NJ, Orange and Dutchess Counties into northwest Fairfield County. That list is not all inclusive. More time is needed before one can really hone in on the details.

4. Afterward, the pattern should be starting to lock in. At the same time, the subtropical jet will very likely remain active through much or all of the rest of the month. Hence, even as it begins to turn colder, there could be an additional 1-2 storm opportunities before the month concludes.

At present, NYC has seen 1.0" snow for December. A 4.0" figure for the month is probably more likely than not. An 8.0" figure might be attainable, but that will depend on how the pattern continues to evolve.

your posts are terrible and narrow sighted...u ride the gfs way to hard its ridiculous u even got made fun of by dt and called out for it pls stop posting thanks

I don't think he's a bad poster at all. I just think he's wrong in this case for trusting the gfs which has shown a completely different solution every run. I feel like he thinks people are humping the one model the shows snow in the area which is usually true but not in this case. I haven't seen anyone seriously discuss precip type for this event.

I don't think he's a bad poster at all. I just think he's wrong in this case for trusting the gfs which has shown a completely different solution every run. I feel like he thinks people are humping the one model the shows snow in the area which is usually true but not in this case. I haven't seen anyone seriously discuss precip type for this event.

i agree i over reacted...but i just dont agree with his posts...i live on the north shore of long island and although i am not expecting any snow(im hoping for it though haha) i would ride the EURO with southern stream storms whether or not it has the most snow.

You people are analyzing a storm that is a week away. The ensembles will usually be southeast of the op. There is support for a storm and we will not know anything for a few days.

Besides, a lot of people here enjoy analyzing a storms that are a week away.  I just hope they realize the current limits in weather forecasting.  Things have improved,  faster super computers & data gathering.  The thing we will never get a handle on is the chaos of the atmosphere so long range forecasting (one to three months) will always be very challenging if not impossible to be consistently correct.

A number of thoughts...

1. The pattern change will begin around the 17th as a cold front moves eastward. The transitional period will probably last a week +/- a few days.

2. Given repeated runs of the GFS ensembles, ECMWF ensembles, and operational ECMWF, a moderate to possibly significant coastal storm (sizable area with 0.50" qpf or higher) in the 12/21-22 timeframe appears more likely than not.

3. The possible coastal storm would not be a KU snowstorm. The pattern will still be in transition. Coastal areas including the NYC metro area would probably see some snow and perhaps even some accumulation, but the best chance for 4" or more snow would be interior areas i.e., northeastern Pennsylvania, northwestern NJ, Orange and Dutchess Counties into northwest Fairfield County. That list is not all inclusive. More time is needed before one can really hone in on the details.

4. Afterward, the pattern should be starting to lock in. At the same time, the subtropical jet will very likely remain active through much or all of the rest of the month. Hence, even as it begins to turn colder, there could be an additional 1-2 storm opportunities before the month concludes.

At present, NYC has seen 1.0" snow for December. A 4.0" figure for the month is probably more likely than not. An 8.0" figure might be attainable, but that will depend on how the pattern continues to evolve.

Thank's Don, I've always respected your analysis and it sounds spot on to me. :)

Thank's Don, I've always respected your analysis and it sounds spot on to me. :)

Concur, Don should be given an honorary red tag. My only comment concerns the NWS 1" accumulation at Central Park. IMO, that measurement is suspect. In the past we complained that there are not adequately trained personnel to take these snowfall measurements at this location. The NWS should post a trained spotter or one of their mets there instead of relying on the zoo personnel. The day before one half an inch was reported and then it was changed to 1". No sour grapes, just my opinion. Did any of our board members comment on the Manhattan snowfall accumulation on that said day.

Concur, Don should be given an honorary red tag. My only comment concerns the NWS 1" accumulation at Central Park. IMO, that measurement is suspect. In the past we complained that there are not adequately trained personnel to take these snowfall measurements at this location. The NWS should post a trained spotter or one of their mets there instead of relying on the zoo personnel. The day before one half an inch was reported and then it was changed to 1". No sour grapes, just my opinion. Did any of our board members comment on the Manhattan snowfall accumulation on that said day.

I was out there, there was just over 0.9 at 630pm

DOORMAN  ... You  may be the  dumbest poster I have seen in about 3 years  

Like every other idiot weenie out there    you are comparing apples    and oranges.

All weather models always Bust  on  SOME  aspect of the storm once event is underway.  To compare the fact that the European over BUST on the  e snow in  central and northeast Pennsylvania   is  Moronic.
The arguemnt  from seven days out  is not    how much snow is or is not going to fall over  central PA.     if you compare   the  op  EURO to the fact of the G FS had no storm  8 days  out ...or  7.5  days  or  7 days ...or  6.5  days or 6  days... or  5.5  days ...  .  Your argument is absurd and ludicrous and without any merit

You need take a course in  critical reasoning

Better yet...

How was this guidance for the last overblown euro system

attachicon.gifpost-2352-0-25832600-1417927177.gif

I talked about not buying into the typhoon re-curve

If you can't recall my post

euro love.... rule the roost today  :hurrbear: 

DOORMAN  ... You  may be the  dumbest poster I have seen in about 3 years  

Like every other idiot weenie out there    you are comparing apples    and oranges.

All weather models always Bust  on  SOME  aspect of the storm once event is underway.  To compare the fact that the European over BUST on the  e snow in  central and northeast Pennsylvania   is  Moronic.
The arguemnt  from seven days out  is not    how much snow is or is not going to fall over  central PA.     if you compare   the  op  EURO to the fact of the G FS had no storm  8 days  out ...or  7.5  days  or  7 days ...or  6.5  days or 6  days... or  5.5  days ...  .  Your argument is absurd and ludicrous and without any merit

You need take a course in  critical reasoning

+1

I was in the park and it sure looked like ~1" to me.  Clearly not 0.5".

NO  he is  bad poster... sorry . NOT over his  opinions   per se  but  because   he will   assert   that a bust on  part of  storm  is the same thing  as  another model having NO  event   for  days and days  and days

NYC ain't getting out of this month without at least 4-5 inches of snow, I guess it's possible but it's going to require major dodging.

my problem is what threat do u see that will deliver that? Although i wanna believe that it seems like its gunna be difficult to get snow around here with the systems on the 21st and 25th give or take...and then after that the months practially over but ill take ur word for it cause ur a met and im not haha

the  6z   GFS  has a Low  of 1011  mb    no  cold ar movign die  east of   hatteras  

the  12z  Sunday euro  had  987mb     50 miles east of   ACT  with    12"+ snow over t  WVA    the shenandoah valley  much   western MD  and much of PA

Yes  great   call    DOORMAN ...  yes the    EURO caved to the GFS...

Yeah, pretty idiotic to think the smoothed out ens mean which still shows a big storm mean it is caving to a non event like the 6z GFS shows, not sure WTH doorman is looking at. 

Archived