Winter 2014-15 Short Term Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Alek's good karma is paying off for chi town :D

attachicon.gifUSA_ASNOWIPER_sfc_084.gif

^lol, good stuff.

Snow down close to 1000ft above the QC now.  Should be snowing there fairly soon.  Was hoping the snow would make it in here before dark, but it's gonna be close.  Still thinking around an inch looks good based on fairly generous ratios. 

As to your question, I have no idea.

It's just impressive to see any model produce that output in mid-November...

Well, I just googled NWS snow liquid table and got this, so I'm assuming that's what it is

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/tables/snowfall-meltwater.html

I swear, the Earl Barker Kuchera maps are god-like compared to some of these other algorithms popping up. 

Good Lord, Powerball! What month is it...!? lol

Hopefully the new GFS isn't going to act like the NAM!

Actually, the upgraded GFS may help the NAM.  Post from modeling guru dtk explaining things:

Yes, in two ways (one more direct than the other).

For one, the NAM uses partial cycling whereby it is effectively restarted from the GFS state twice per day.  The way it actually works is that twice per day, the NAM goes "backwards" in time, starts from the GFS, and then performs catch up data assimilation cycles to the initialization time.  The RAP works similarly, btw.

Secondly, the NAM utilizes a hybrid-variational solver for its data assimilation, where the ensemble part is taken from a GFS-based EnKF. Since the 13km GFS upgrade also includes assimilation changes including an increase in the ensemble resolution to T574 (from T254) for the EnKF part (not to be confused with the GEFS), the NAM and RAP will benefit.

Well, I just googled NWS snow liquid table and got this, so I'm assuming that's what it is

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/tables/snowfall-meltwater.html

I swear, the Earl Barker Kuchera maps are god-like compared to some of these other algorithms popping up. 

I've just been looking at the total liquid before/after a wave move through.  Even doing that you get some impressive numbers by November standards with the system Thursday night, around 0.6" imby if I remember right.

Archived