• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3rd Annual Snow Thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Well, according to WLOS future cast, Asheville to get 0.9" of snow.  No idea what model they were using but don't think I would have put that on TV.

They have become a laughingstock in the meteorology department. I pay them absolutely zero mind. 

I do like Chris Justus out of Greenville. He was born and raised on a farm in WNC and has a vested interest in also covering the weather up here because his family still lives here. He does a 10x better job.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, according to WLOS future cast, Asheville to get 0.9" of snow. No idea what model they were using but don't think I would have put that on TV.

yeah they busted horrible with this storm. They were showing Asheville to get .2 inches of snow and waynesville to get .3 inches. Well look how that turned out.

Rgem is almost joining the nam sref party. Let's bring this one home boys! I have a call for 4-8 with 10-12 inch weenie spots. Most likely in the highest elevations like highlands.

Dang. I was going to head back to the lowlands tomorrow morning but the plethora of models showing a "one-footer" potential I might have to hang around. 

It's 30deg here in Highlands now and it's still snowing lightly.  Between 5 and 6 inches on the ground. 

I'm with Rainforrest.  I can't believe it's still snowing.

this storm is going to be rough and bury some folks I think, plus Chris in Greenville said from wnc to the upstate could see that heavy band of thundersnow. he is calling for 6-8 Greenville to Asheville and if you get in on the thundersnow up to 10 inches by Thursday morning, said it would come down hard and fast. man mets on wlos kinda down playing this so far, some folks that listen to them could be caught off guard.

Dang. I was going to head back to the lowlands tomorrow morning but the plethora of models showing a "one-footer" potential I might have to hang around.

It's 30deg here in Highlands now and it's still snowing lightly. Between 5 and 6 inches on the ground.

I'm with Rainforrest. I can't believe it's still snowing.

I would stay if I we're you. I use to live in Highlands just off flat mtn. I can remember some big storms growing up.

I agree with you! 4"-8" sounds great! Might even put in a 6"-10" section and a 12"+ on my map later. All and all I like your call a lot!

I agree as well!  I was going to say 5-8" most areas in the central and southwest mountains, 1-3" northern mountains, and a bit more for places such as Lake Toxaway and Hendersonville getting 6-10".

I agree as well!  I was going to say 5-8" most areas in the central and southwest mountains, 1-3" northern mountains, and a bit more for places such as Lake Toxaway and Hendersonville getting 6-10".

That sounds about right considering how horrible it's been up here this winter. Hope you guys get pounded. Seems like we're always on the outside looking in lately. Enjoy !!!

They just closed schools in Yancey for tomorrow. Not sure if it was because of the snow today or because of what's coming. The roads are good.

Wouldn't make sense for it to be what's coming because that won't get going until the evening.

I also think the northern Mtns are sitting pretty for 3-6 with locally higher amounts. If we can get the deform band to set up a little north and west of what's progged we will likely be 6-8+...I think the southern mtns are in for 4-8" with 6-10" if the deform band is down their way.

Wouldn't make sense for it to be what's coming because that won't get going until the evening.

I also think the northern Mtns are sitting pretty for 3-6 with locally higher amounts. If we can get the deform band to set up a little north and west of what's progged we will likely be 6-8+...I think the southern mtns are in for 4-8" with 6-10" if the deform band is down their way.

Wow. That makes me feel better. ;-)

I was also thinking maybe black ice in the morning might be the reason. Noticed Avery closed as well.

GSP map. http://www.weather.gov/images/gsp/brief/STSStormTotalSnow.png

Again, I know Asheville is between mtn ranges... yada, yada, but the models almost always forecast a minima here. Every time. While long term, that is true. But, it seems as if in the models to show it every single time. I guess we will see if that proves to be accurate this time. It wasn't last night.

Anyway, here is hoping we all get at least 6 inches. That in my mind is where a big snow begins. Good luck everybody.

Archived