• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2014

Rtd208

Kind of a bogus argument though. What about those who like the cold and snowy winters, do we all sit in our houses with no heating, parkas on 24/7 teeth chattering? I don't think so. I think you can enjoy a certain weather condition without living outside in it 24/7 like a deer.

The common argument I hear in the field (often used in self defense during hurricane hysteria) is "I'm allowed to enjoy this event because it is imminent and out of my control." 

Not even close. Every single building in NY and America has heating.

This isn't a 3rd world nation. LOL.

Not everyone. One should not speak in absolutes. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

old timers like me remember going to school in 90 degree heat and no ac...I didn't have ac until I was around 16 years old...I can remember many nights with my face next to the window fan we had in the bedroom...

agree 100% uncle W.  Same here didn't have AC in the house until 1974 when I was almost 20 - and schools never had an early dismissal for heat . Also much more difficult to reach the 90's in September because of the shorter days / longer nights and reduced sun angle - and Upton isn't even mentioning a 90 in their forecast

http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.fpus51.KOKX.html

The common argument I hear in the field (often used in self defense during hurricane hysteria) is "I'm allowed to enjoy this event because it is imminent and out of my control."

Not everyone. One should not speak in absolutes.

What occupied building doesn't have heat in NY?

agree 100% uncle W.  Same here didn't have AC in the house until 1974 when I was almost 20 - and schools never had an early dismissal for heat . Also much more difficult to reach the 90's in September because of the shorter days / longer nights and reduced sun angle - and Upton isn't even mentioning a 90 in their forecast

same here no AC until early 70s.  I remember sleeping in the basement.

90s in September are more common than most think.  97 last Sep 11th.

agree 100% uncle W. Same here didn't have AC in the house until 1974 when I was almost 20 - and schools never had an early dismissal for heat . Also much more difficult to reach the 90's in September because of the shorter days / longer nights and reduced sun angle - and Upton isn't even mentioning a 90 in their forecast

People also didn't use child seats in cars. It doesn't mean we should continue poor practices because they were once done in the past. Btw in NYC they don't close or dismiss classes early if it's hot out, and the vast majority of school buildings do not have air conditioning.

same here no AC until early 70s. I remember sleeping in the basement.

90s in September are more common than most think. 97 last Sep 11th.

But who honestly had AC before 1970 anyway? It's much more shocking to hear someone not having AC today than 45 years ago.

At the very least - there are certainly a few apartments. 

The 311 no heat calls during the first cold spell are usually high. Sadly abandoned building (still occupied) are part of the reality. 

Fires started by alternate heating methods continue to take a toll during every cold season.

I'd watch for clouds/fog on Saturday morning as the flow turns onshore around 03z until 10-12z. Models haven't really caught on with developing any clouds yet but we'd be lucky to avoid them. 

By Sunday things will get much warmer and we'll probably approach 90 F away from the coast. 850mb temps approach 16 C and a W-SW flow develops. Even behind any storms, Monday looks warm as well.

8500654.gif

I'd watch for clouds/fog on Saturday morning as the flow turns onshore around 03z until 10-12z. Models haven't really caught on with developing any clouds yet but we'd be lucky to avoid them. 

By Sunday things will get much warmer and we'll probably approach 90 F away from the coast. 850mb temps approach 16 C and a W-SW flow develops. Even behind any storms, Monday looks warm as well.

8500654.gif

Yes those clouds getting in the way for some in PA and areas south but partly sunny here so far.  In store for another great summer weekend day hopefully those clouds don't build in over the region

Talk of a big August warmup started around the middle of the month and it turned out to be two days reaching 86 and one day hitting 91, with six days not getting out of the 70's... starting on the 18th at this station.

It was certainly delayed but the warmth is on its way. Most of the first 10 days of September should have high temps 80F or greater for the majority of locations. Potential remains for a shot at 90F on at least a couple occasions.

But yeah, the late August heat-up was largely a bust. Overcast day here with mid/upper 70s. I've yet to hit 90F this month, and if tomorrow doesn't do it, I'll have gone w/o a 90 degree reading in August. My high was 88F this past Wednesday.

It was certainly delayed but the warmth is on its way. Most of the first 10 days of September should have high temps 80F or greater for the majority of locations. Potential remains for a shot at 90F on at least a couple occasions.

But yeah, the late August heat-up was largely a bust. Overcast day here with mid/upper 70s. I've yet to hit 90F this month, and if tomorrow doesn't do it, I'll have gone w/o a 90 degree reading in August. My high was 88F this past Wednesday.

Yeah its coming for Sept... did reach 91 here this month... also the lack of warm nights with no 70 degree plus lows here since july 15th.

Talk of a big August warmup started around the middle of the month and it turned out to be two days reaching 86 and one day hitting 91, with six days not getting out of the 70's... starting on the 18th at this station.

These clouds really ruined the start to the long weekend.  At least it didn't rain but forecasts of sunny and low 80s was toast looking at the sat images this morning.  Hope the storms come later tomorrow or we will have a fairly crumby weekend. 

The warmth was certainly delayed but the period 8/27 - 9/10 looks above to much above normal. 

Finally some sun poking through

So can we trust ANY forecast for the next 2 days

Clouds and storms pushing into OHIO - likely to PA by midnight then 8 - 12 hours to reach here.  Id expect clouds by morning or no later than noon with storms and rain between noon and evening.  Monday will likely be the best day for summer-type (dry) weather.

Archived