joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early discussion Winter 2014/15

SACRUS

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO he lost any credibility he had with climate and long term forecasting after becoming obsessed with expecting an impending global cooling period.

he nailed last winter and this summer so far.  He's good in cool patterns, lousy in warm ones-completely missed the winters of 01-02, 05-06 and 11-12 which were infernos as we all remember too well.

I don't care what that map shows or what the final totals were. Sniffing cirrus multiple times to the south are measuring in feet blows.

The Dec 19 - 21, 2009 & Feb 5-7, 2010 events were incredible.  I have never seen a cutoff so sharp as those two.  Watching places like Cape Map, Trenton and Cherry Hilly out perform Sussex and Newark was impressive.

It rained plenty in Long Beach-we had maybe 1.50" of rain before we had one flake. I remember on the LIRR that day that the ground became white early that afternoon just east of Jamaica station. Snow mixed in at home around 4pm, but soon after we had a break and snow did not start in earnest until that night. The heaviest was from 4am-6am; we had probably 2-3" per hour then. It was a very windy storm too, we had gusts easily over 50 mph.

Rained over 2" I think before it dumped overnight.

Even with all the three or four letter acronyms in the book being favorable you still need some luck to get 95-96 numbers.

not saying we'd rival 95-96' as you said because luck would have to be on our side but IF all the teleconnectors do look great DJF it would be a great pattern to set up another epic run of cold and snow that we experienced this past winter.

If we can get that -EPO, weak el nino and a solid west based -NAO weenies will be coming out of the wood work in 95/96 numbers. Not saying it will be like that but its a fairly solid case should those three choose to work in tandem winter of 14/15

I would sign up with 2 out of 3 signals. If we ever get all three, not saying it would be '96 redux…. but there would be loads of potential in store for us. I know things could change on a dime, but encouraging signs thus far.

I agree he hypes a bit (professional weenie), but overall his long-range forecasts and outlooks are pretty accurate.

You sure about that? Are you referring to winter forecasts in general? I'd love to see some verification scores on his forecasts for say, the past 10 years. I'm genuinely curious.

Just give me the ultimate winter just once more in my lifetime with 80" of snow, tons of cold, and a blizzard of 96 redux or even better if possible.

I was only 10 when the blizzard of 96' occured i remember it vaguely but one thing i do remember was that was the last time i saw snow and not the drifts almost as high as my porch fence. Reaching that 24"+ snowfall threshold is nirvana and only storm that came close with accumulation for me was 2003 PDII.

Watching TWC local forecast for the 96' blizzard never gets old. Thundersnow i remember as well now that i think of it

You sure about that? Are you referring to winter forecasts in general? I'd love to see some verification scores on his forecasts for say, the past 10 years. I'm genuinely curious.

Winter 2008-2009 (I think he was off on this one)

http://wx-man.com/blog/?p=1220

Winter 2009-2010

http://wx-man.com/blog/?p=2302

Winter 2010-2011

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/accuweathercom-winter-forecast-1/40340

2011-2012 and 2012-2013 weren't available, but then again I could just be a bad Google-er.

That's all I got lol, couldn't find much. Tried to find his 2013-2014 winter forecast, but could not locate it. He was correct with that one as well.

I was only 10 when the blizzard of 96' occured i remember it vaguely but one thing i do remember was that was the last time i saw snow and not the drifts almost as high as my porch fence. Reaching that 24"+ snowfall threshold is nirvana and only storm that came close with accumulation for me was 2003 PDII.

Watching TWC local forecast for the 96' blizzard never gets old. Thundersnow i remember as well now that i think of it

The 1996 blizzard is still the Holy Grail of snowstorms in this area. Just no combination like it of huge totals and winds.

I know you hit the nail on the head perfectly. 93' may be number one on the NESIS scale but this is #1 from DC-BOSTONS by a long shot. Not a winter goes by where i dont wish another 96' redux, just the perfect snowstorm. Lets hope as we get closer to december the winter looks just as good as 95-96' ;)

Some things never change. ;)

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/assessments/pdfs/bz-mrg.pdf

THERE ARE SOME SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES WITH THE MODELS RESOLUTION OF THE SOUTHERN PORTION OF THE TROUGH THAT MOVES THROUGH THE ROCKIES BY SATURDAY JANUARY 6 (DAY 3) AND INTO THE PLAINS ON SUN JANUARY 7 (DAY 4). THE ECMWF IS SHOWING THE MOST DEFINITION TO THIS SOUTHERN PORTION OF THE TROUGH AND SUBSEQUENTLY HAS A 1010 MB LOW MOVING FROM THE NORTHERN GA/AL BORDER ON SUN JANUARY 7 (DAY 4) AND BOMBING OFF THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST (984 MB) BY MON JANUARY 8 (DAY 5). THE MRF IS MUCH MORE FRAGMENTED AND POSITIVELY TILTED WITH THIS TROUGH AND SUBSEQUENTLY HAS ONLY A WEAK 1014 MB WAVE SHEARING OFF THE SOUTHEASTERN COAST ON SUN JANUARY 7 (DAY 4). THE RESOLUTION OF SHORT WAVES IN THE BASE OF TROUGHS IS AN AREA THE MRF OFTEN DOES A POOR JOB WITH....WE ARE TRENDING MORE TOWARD THE ECMWF."

1995-96 had many coastal storms...Most of them brought North to northeast winds...If all the storms were all snow NYC could of had 100" that winter...the December 9th storm changed to rain...Same for the December 14th storm...The December 19-20th storm mixed with ice and sleet...January 2-3 was a mixed bag...January 12th changed to rain...March 8th started as rain...March 29th changed to rain and back to snow...April 10th's snow was so wet it didn't accumulate much...

Some things never change. ;)

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/assessments/pdfs/bz-mrg.pdf

THERE ARE SOME SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES WITH THE MODELS RESOLUTION OF THE SOUTHERN PORTION OF THE TROUGH THAT MOVES THROUGH THE ROCKIES BY SATURDAY JANUARY 6 (DAY 3) AND INTO THE PLAINS ON SUN JANUARY 7 (DAY 4). THE ECMWF IS SHOWING THE MOST DEFINITION TO THIS SOUTHERN PORTION OF THE TROUGH AND SUBSEQUENTLY HAS A 1010 MB LOW MOVING FROM THE NORTHERN GA/AL BORDER ON SUN JANUARY 7 (DAY 4) AND BOMBING OFF THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST (984 MB) BY MON JANUARY 8 (DAY 5). THE MRF IS MUCH MORE FRAGMENTED AND POSITIVELY TILTED WITH THIS TROUGH AND SUBSEQUENTLY HAS ONLY A WEAK 1014 MB WAVE SHEARING OFF THE SOUTHEASTERN COAST ON SUN JANUARY 7 (DAY 4). THE RESOLUTION OF SHORT WAVES IN THE BASE OF TROUGHS IS AN AREA THE MRF OFTEN DOES A POOR JOB WITH....WE ARE TRENDING MORE TOWARD THE ECMWF."

Just amazing how the EURO has been one of if not the most consistent model with east coast cyclogenesis. Especially with sandy, authur and our recent big coastal storms the past several years. Except the gradient pattern we saw for a period this previous winter, the GFS actually performed better as whole. A blind squirrel sometimes does find the nut :lol:

NYC

Feb 11-12, 2006 : 26.9 inches

Feb 25-26,2010 : 20.9 inches

Jan 7-8, 1996 : 20.2 inches

http://www.weather2000.com/NY_Snowstorms.html

I'm pretty sure the accumulations of 3-5" during the late morning early afternoon on the 8th were not factored in to the parks totals. That number should have been revised to 23-25". And even that is under estimate by a few inches.

I'm pretty sure the accumulations of 3-5" during the late morning early afternoon on the 8th were not factored in to the parks totals. That number should have been revised to 23-25". And even that is under estimate by a few inches.

Many areas around NYC and especially on LI were a bit low on totals for 96'

Guest Pamela

Many areas around NYC and especially on LI were a bit low on totals for 96'

The 2/11/1983 storm was better & more exciting than the 1/7/1996 storm, IMO.  Snow came in like a wall that Friday afternoon with thunder & lightning & 3 to 4 inches per hour.  It was over 18 hours after it started...but between the wind, the 18 degree cold, and everything else...one of the best storms in a long time. I had it rated as the best on Long Island since the '78 storm...but I was forced to supplant it with the 2/8/13 storm which topped 30 inches in a few spots out here.  Its weird how that 12/18/09 event, which put down up to 27 inches has been almost completely forgotten...I attribute it to the fact that it happened on a weekend overnight and there had been soo many more snow events around that time then there were 25 years earlier that it did not seem so out of the ordinary. 

The 2/11/1983 storm was better & more exciting than the 1/7/1996 storm, IMO.  Snow came in like a wall that Friday afternoon with thunder & lightning & 3 to 4 inches per hour.  It was over 18 hours after it started...but between the wind, the 18 degree cold, and everything else...one of the best storms in a long time. I had it rated as the best on Long Island since the '78 storm...but I was forced to supplant it with the 2/8/13 storm which topped 30 inches in a few spots out here.  Its weird how that 12/18/09 event, which put down up to 27 inches has been almost completely forgotten...I attribute it to the fact that it happened on a weekend overnight and there had been soo many more snow events around that time then there were 25 years earlier that it did not seem so out of the ordinary. 

I remember the 83 storm very well. The snow started around 10:00 in the morning and accumulated a few inches by mid afternoon. I was driving home from work around 4:00 when the wall of snow came . It was pretty awesome.We had thunder and lightning around 6 or 7:00 It snowed until about 4:00 am the next morning. We ended up with 23 inches in Northport. The temp was about 19 degrees during most of the storm.

As good as it was the 78 storm still blows them all away where I live.  A true raging blizzard, 27 inches at my house. Much more wind than 83 or 96

Archived