Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 13-15 storm risk

Kmlwx

Morning wedges!!!!!!

Seriously though...definitely seems like agreement now that the 500 low will go right around that general area. Timing seems to be locking in too. That's a shame...it's always something, right?

Would be a shame.. great look other than timing. Either way Tue still looks like a storm day on the NAM.

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maryland is going to get a LOT of rain. We should be south of most of the forcing.

After this passes through. the rest of the week should be seasonal, low 90s with lows around 75.

I dont know where people got a big cooldown from. This is mid July, not late November. (Never trust hype about cool weather in mid summer in Washington. it will never happen.)

Lets get this quarter inch of rain over with in Virginia. I want the sun back!

It's a good thing I got the klingon anti storm shield back in perfect working order! My lawn was over a foot tall!

Maryland is going to get a LOT of rain. We should be south of most of the forcing.

After this passes through. the rest of the week should be seasonal, low 90s with lows around 75.

I dont know where people got a big cooldown from. This is mid July, not late November. (Never trust hype about cool weather in mid summer in Washington. it will never happen.)

rain maybe. isn't this the big polar vortex that the weather channel is calling for? (lol).

It's a good thing I got the klingon anti storm shield back in perfect working order! My lawn was over a foot tall!

Good luck with that forecast, Jeb ;) 

Going to be a decent amount lower than that. 

Tue still looks ok for general slight risk svr storms to me so it's not super meh other than it could have been more and that seems tough to salvage at this pt. Maybe we can get training to make up for it.

rain maybe. isn't this the big polar vortex that the weather channel is calling for? (lol).

the only thing the weather channel cares about is money.

they hype for ratings which translates into cash.

they dont care about anyone else, not even in tornado weather.

weather channel only cares about making money, not saving lives.

thats why they hype.

You got me KML. Its going to be 84 for a high. Thats about four degrees below normal.

WOW BIG Polar Vortex! Man its REALLY gonna cool down!

Maybe in Barrow Alaska lmfao, not in Washington in mid July. Four degrees below normal is no cool down.

Jeb is just taunting mother. Making her mad. He might get us some frost.

The variability for many months in a row has been awesome hasn't it? From an enthusiest pov, July has been quite entertaining. 2 shots of Canadian air and decent storms in the first 2 weeks of July? Love it

You got me KML. Its going to be 84 for a high. Thats about four degrees below normal.

WOW BIG Polar Vortex! Man its REALLY gonna cool down!

Maybe in Barrow Alaska lmfao, not in Washington in mid July. Four degrees below normal is no cool down.

Didn't say it'd be huge. but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few highs in the low 80s and some lows decently down into the 60s. 

I'm going with 2/5/15 for the 0600z outlook. Subject to change at 13z.

I'd go with that. Not sure there will be 5 tor or even 30 wind anywhere. Best tor area looks like it might be njish up to eastern ny with better sfc backing.

I'd go with that. Not sure there will be 5 tor or even 30 wind anywhere. Best tor area looks like it might be njish up to eastern ny with better sfc backing.

Quincy seems to agree with you on that tor potential placement. I could still see 30% wind as I feel like we've gotten it with less favorable setups. But for the 06z at least 2/5/15 is the guess I'll go with. Even if they do push to 30% I could see it waiting until 1630z when things are starting to kickoff. 

I'd think they could bring day 2 up 95 and east at least as well. GFS still not too gung-ho west of that around here tho not completely sure why.

Well on the COD site it keeps a lot of the CAPE to the east. I haven't looked but do dews lower? Maybe that's why. 

partly cloudy and mild, some humidity. no storm anywhere close to Woodbridge.

nice night for a summer campout

I dont expect any rain til late tomorrow afternoon and even then maybe a sprinkle. I'm well south of the main forcing.

Maylanders - you are in the sweet spot. You're gonna need a bigger boat

New Day 1 0600 out... (2/0/15)... 2 TOR goes from DCAish to BAL and into PA/NJ

..MID ATLANTIC INTO SRN NEW ENGLAND    AREAS OF EARLY SHOWERS AND STORMS WILL BE POSSIBLE BUT LIKELY  NON-SEVERE. IN THE WAKE OF SAID ACTIVITY...HEATING WILL OCCUR ACROSS  VA IN THE LEE TROUGH...WITH SLY SURFACE WINDS MAINTAINING UPPER 60S  TO NEAR 70 F DEWPOINTS FROM THE DELMARVA NWD TO THE OLD BOUNDARY  ACROSS NERN PA/SERN NY/SRN NEW ENGLAND. A GRADUAL INCREASE IN STORMS  CAN BE EXPECTED FROM NRN VA ACROSS ERN PA BY EARLY AFTERNOON...WITH  OTHER ACTIVITY ALONG THE STALLED FRONT ACROSS SRN NEW ENGLAND.  ALTHOUGH SHEAR WILL NOT BE STRONG...SMALL LOOPING HODOGRAPHS...AMPLE  MOISTURE AND PERSISTENT LIFT COULD HELP A FEW STORMS ACQUIRE  ROTATION...WITH A BRIEF/WEAK TORNADO POSSIBLE AND/OR ENHANCED WIND  GUSTS WITH SMALL BOWS. THE GENERALLY WARM TEMPERATURES ALOFT SHOULD  KEEP HAIL MAINLY SMALL.  

In other words

DCA is on the south periphery of this event.

That was fairly evident earlier this evening, with Maryland and NE getting severely waterboarded while we were nice and dry.

I expect that pattern to persist into late Tuesday night.

DCA has a chance. I am too far south.

NWS had Woodbridge Virginia carrying 60 percent pops for Sunday night!!!!! WHAT A FAIL! We were partly cloudy! Only later, around 2am did they finally summon up some spine and lower tonight's pop to 30 percent LMAO!

One thing I find obscene is NWS having Woodbridge Virginia under  Heavy Rain from Monday thru Tuesday night. FOUR FREAKIN' PERIODS! Monday, Monday Night, Tuesday, and Tuesday Night.

Thats pure hype. Woodbridge Virginia should be under 40% pops for the entire period. Also some forecasters need to go back to meteorology school for about thirty years. There is wayyyyyy too much hype in the weather community these days. Every event is hyped. Polar Vortex my ass. A high of 84 degrees is not a cooldown, it's a LETDOWN, it is near normal summer weather for daytime highs in mid July in northern Virginia/ Washington DC.

Now, Maryland and northeast ---- Those regions are another, completely different story with this weather system. Those areas carry a slight chance of severe and definitely a few inches of rain. They will be under flood watches by Monday night. As of 315am, there is another red thunderstorm in MD. This weather system is a Maryland Special.

As of 430am, most of the moisture comin from the west is drying up as it passes over northern Virginia. What an epic fail. What An Epic Fail.

If there is one thing that the Washington Metropolitan Region does very well with weather ---- IT IS EPIC FAIL.

That, we are very good at. We have postgraduate HONORS in epic fail. This is ALL Maryland's event. We are too far south.

As for northern Virginia..............Next!

Morning AFD from LWX:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
357 AM EDT MON JUL 14 2014

.SYNOPSIS...
BERMUDA HIGH PRESSURE WILL KEEP VERY WARM AND HUMID CONDITIONS
ACROSS THE MID-ATLANTIC INTO TUESDAY. A COLD FRONT WILL CROSS THE
AREA TUESDAY NIGHT. CANADIAN HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD ACROSS THE
EASTERN STATES WEDNESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT.

&&

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
ZONE OF CONVERGENCE/LIFT FROM CENTRAL WEST VIRGINIA NORTHEAST
THROUGH NORTHERN MARYLAND CONTINUES TO MAINTAIN SCATTERED
SHOWERS/ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS OVERNIGHT. WHILE THERE IS NO SEVERE
RISK FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE NIGHT IT LOOKS LIKE THIS GENERAL AREA
WILL CONTINUE TO EXPERIENCE EPISODES OF LIGHT TO MODERATE RAINFALL.
HRRR AND LWX WFR-ARW SUGGEST THERE MAY BE SOMEWHAT LESS COVERAGE BY
DAYBREAK...BUT GIVEN RADAR TRENDS WILL CONTINUE WITH HIGH CHANCE TO
LIKELY POPS IN THIS AREA THROUGH THEN...TRANSITIONING TO NO MENTION
OF WEATHER FURTHER SOUTH INTO THE CENTRAL VA PIEDMONT/LOWER SOUTHERN
MARYLAND.

SYNOPTICALLY...THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY THAT WILL EVENTUALLY MOVE ACROSS
THE CWA LATE TUESDAY INTO TUESDAY NIGHT STILL RESIDES OVER THE GREAT
LAKES. A LEE TROUGH EXISTS OVER THE CWA...AND THIS WILL BE IN PLACE
TODAY/TONIGHT AND COUPLE WITH A MID-LEVEL VORT MAX TO PRODUCE
NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

MODELS CONTINUE TO ADVERTISE A VERY MOIST ENVIRONMENT...WITH
DEWPOINTS WITHIN A COUPLE DEGREES OF 70 DEGREES AND PRECIPITABLE