Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Arthur

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No decision as of their 1030 update from Dare County on OBX evacs. Next update not til 1730 which leads me to believe they will not issue mandatory evacs. Let our vacation continue! East trend is our friend.

Are there any indications of an eastern trend at this time?

Are there any indications of an eastern trend at this time?

There's been an eastern trend over the past 36 hours, as I have pointed out many times. It was obvious from the beginning that this wasn't going to be much of an event for the Outer Banks. Expect TS winds and some moderate surf (nothing big due to Arthur's rather compact wind field). The hurricane-force winds will be SE of the center and offshore. A track over or east of the Outer Banks will only produce TS winds. The most reliable models are over or E of the OBX.

There's been an eastern trend over the past 36 hours. It was obvious from the beginning that this wasn't going to be much of an event for the Outer Banks. Expect TS winds and some moderate surf (nothing big due to Arthur's rather compact wind field).

HWRF, Navgem (a progressive model), GFS, and GEM all take it west of OBX. GFS ensembles, and most likely also the Euro ensembles are clustered right over OBX.

This short loop really shows the dramatic blocking/occlusion environment that has allowed cyclogenesis to take place and to continue.  By mid to late evening this same satellite view will possibly show partial resolution, or otherwise continued tension between all of these systems. 

1ekq41.jpg

You can see the shortwave diving SE from Nebraska to Missouri that is going to kick this storm NE.  This should allow Arthur to get pretty close to the Outer banks.  

There's been an eastern trend over the past 36 hours, as I have pointed out many times. It was obvious from the beginning that this wasn't going to be much of an event for the Outer Banks. Expect TS winds and some moderate surf (nothing big due to Arthur's rather compact wind field). The hurricane-force winds will be SE of the center and offshore. A track over or east of the Outer Banks will only produce TS winds. The most reliable models are over or E of the OBX.

Since it was supposed to accelerate once it made it's NE turn on the track forecast cone, will it accelerate earlier if it trends further east than predicted?

The inner core is attempting to consolidate. I think "dry air intrusion" has really been overused on here since the big blow up of convection that occurred last night has provided a favorable cocoon of mid-level moisture near the inner core. It just needed to mix out the the dry air that was already present over the llc last night when we saw the center relocation. In order to moisten up the atmospheric column you need some convection to dissipate so mixing with the non-saturated parcels can occur. TCs are their most effective as a heat engine when the thermodynamic profile is moist adiabatic at near saturation everywhere. Once that process is finished (as it appears to be doing here) we could see a more significant period of intensification. I still think the NHC forecast max intensity is probably going to end up on the low end when things are all said and done. 

Arthur_3.gif

Your track forecast may yet verify, but if I remember correctly you were only calling for a "sheared 45 knot TC that was going to be quickly steered northeast... here we are 5 days later talking about a much more significant threat after it went substantially further south than originally forecasted when the MCV moved off the east coast. You might end up being correct about the track from here on out, but it might not necessarily be for the right reasons ;) 

check out the visible loop, the eye is really starting to show itself in the last few frames. http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/get-goes?satellite=GOES-E%20CONUS&lat=29&lon=-80&info=vis&zoom=1&width=1000&height=800&quality=95&type=Animation&palette=ir1.pal&numframes=10&map=latlon

Edit: Looking at the loop it looks like we are seeing the beginning stages of serious development, huge towers are now going up and trying to consolidate around the center.

No decision as of their 1030 update from Dare County on OBX evacs. Next update not til 1730 which leads me to believe they will not issue mandatory evacs. Let our vacation continue! East trend is our friend.

Ocracoke will probably be one of the first to go mandatory, since only way on/off is by boat or ferry.

I wouldn't be remotely confident this passes East of the OBX at all. The reliable models are much closer (or over) them and the "trend" to the East is far less than a lot of posts on this thread imply.

And while model track accuracy has gotten astoundingly good the last few years a cone of uncertainty remains. Cape Hatteras or Lookout could easily get Right Front Quadrant winds.

Crazy they kept everything the same for 2pm, probably just waiting for the new info from the recon.

On the latest visible image it looks like the explosion of thunderstorms patched that hole that was in the eye wall; also getting out of frame for the radar but that too looks like it filled in.

Archived