amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
June 28-July 1 Severe Threat

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sirens are going off in Macomb County. Other than that, it appears to be just a light show for now

Yeah I am not a fan of this at all, I had the sirens go off here in Eastpointe and they shouldn't be going off. All this is going to cause is the crying wolf syndrome.

Yeah I am not a fan of this at all, I had the sirens go off here in Eastpointe and they shouldn't be going off. All this is going to cause is the crying wolf syndrome.

Yeah, I agree. People are already complacent enough with sirens around here!

My dad is a Sargent with the Sheriffs deparment working the midnight shift right now. I haven't talked to him yet, but for his sake, I hope the damage is minimal. I also work(intern) for the department of roads, so any flooding and I'm sure i'll be on the side of the road tomorrow in my safety vest keeping people from drowning unfortunately.

They went off here as well just as the worst had just passed. Had me thinking something new had popped.

They went off here as well just as the worst had just passed. Had me thinking something new had popped.

In your instance I understand it because of Calhoun County's severe warning even included tornado wording and they did end up putting out a tornado warning for your county, which is probably when the sirens blew.

In your instance I understand it because of Calhoun County's severe warning even included tornado wording and they did end up putting out a tornado warning for your county, which is probably when the sirens blew.

Yeah i agree with that. Any idea on what the winds were? Saw a report ( via SPC ) of a 74mph gust in Oakland County.

Too bad it wasn't daylight as i got some vid of it just as the worst was moving in. I cut out right after the windows came flying in as it got really bad and stepped back inside.

Yeah i agree with that. Any idea on what the winds were? Saw a report ( via SPC ) of a 74mph gust in Oakland County.

Too bad it wasn't daylight as i got some vid of it just as the worst was moving in. I cut out right after the windows came flying in as it got really bad and stepped back inside.

There seemed to be an enhanced area that hit around Wixom and another that ran from Chelsea to Livonia. Once the storms got into Macomb County they were running out of gas.

Also just looking at the outage maps from DTE http://www.dteenergy.com/map/outage.html It looks like the Whitmore Lake area got hit pretty hard.

Looking back further west there are some big time outages along and south of I-94 in Jackson, Calhoun and Kalamazoo Counties per Consumers Energy http://www.consumersenergy.com/outagemap

Yeah been watching the trucks head out. I live almost next to Consumers. Per that map it looks like a few lost power around the corner from my house. Here it went out very briefly.

Some of the reports trickling in to LOT sound fairly impressive (roof blown off a house in Lake county IN in area that was tornado warned.) Wonder if there will be any surveys.

We're surveying and I'll be on one of the teams. Won't know where we're going until I get to the office though. What an incredible event, worked radar with Gino all the way from 4-11. We all thought that the event was largely going to be a bust until round 2 became extremely impressive against all expectations.

When the mesovortex went right over the office, both mine and Gino's ears popped. For whatever reason, the max wind gust on our Davis was only in the 50s mph range again but it had to be underdone since we heard stuff hitting the window. Actually called ILX for them to prepare to go into emergency backup just in case. Driving back home last night, it was clear Romeoville was hit pretty bad, tree limbs and signs down everywhere and power outages. Route 53 was blocked by a live powerline. If any of you hear about or know of any possibly tornadic paths in the LOT CWA, please PM me.

Still no power.  Going on 11.5 hours and counting.  Longest power outage we've had in the 14+ years we've lived in Schererville.  Branch damage suggests 60-70 MPH max gusts probably around us.  Admittedly, it's a little hard to tell since we've been slammed so many times that 60-70 MPH winds have done almost all they'll ever do.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO,IL  
1153 AM CDT TUE JUL 1 2014 /1253 PM EDT TUE JUL 1 2014/  

..NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR JUNE 30 2014 THUNDERSTORM WIND EVENT  

..EARLVILLE  

PEAK WIND: ESTIMATED 80-100 MPH  

FATALITIES: NONE.  
INJURIES: NONE.  

AN NWS SURVEY TEAM CONCLUDED STRAIGHT LINE WINDS CAUSED THE  
EXTENSIVE DAMAGE IN EARLVILLE. NUMEROUS TREES WERE DOWNED  
THROUGHOUT THE AREA WITH DAMAGE TO ROOFS AND A GARAGE BLOWN OUT ON  
THE SOUTH AND SOUTHWEST PARTS OF TOWN. DEBRIS WERE GENERALLY LAID  
DOWN IN AN EAST OR EAST-NORTHEAST DIRECTION. 

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

1153 AM CDT TUE JUL 1 2014 /1253 PM EDT TUE JUL 1 2014/

..NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR JUNE 30 2014 THUNDERSTORM WIND EVENT

..EARLVILLE

PEAK WIND: ESTIMATED 80-100 MPH

FATALITIES: NONE.

INJURIES: NONE.

AN NWS SURVEY TEAM CONCLUDED STRAIGHT LINE WINDS CAUSED THE

EXTENSIVE DAMAGE IN EARLVILLE. NUMEROUS TREES WERE DOWNED

THROUGHOUT THE AREA WITH DAMAGE TO ROOFS AND A GARAGE BLOWN OUT ON

THE SOUTH AND SOUTHWEST PARTS OF TOWN. DEBRIS WERE GENERALLY LAID

DOWN IN AN EAST OR EAST-NORTHEAST DIRECTION.

In that area today for work, and in addition to the obvious tree in structure damage, there is heavy crop damage. Corn is laying on the ground all over the county.

Man looking at those pictures above I would of bet tornado 

I would've too initially, but having prior experience with these things (rode out the June 29th, 2012 storm that caused widespread damage in my area), it doesn't surprise me it was just straight-line wind. A lot of these higher end straight line events can cause damage similar to EF-1 (maybe even low end EF-2) tornado damage in populated areas...

My mom was freaking out and went to the basement. Said she heard transformers blowing and lost power.

Turns out there were a couple power poles that snapped a few blocks away.  Other than that, just some branches and a tree blown down in the neighborhood.

Man looking at those pictures above I would of bet tornado 

Yeah, especially with the couplet in the area.  Looking back at radar, there were some other strong couplets in the area (one in southern Lake county near Lowell looked pretty good for a while) and given what RC said about his and Gino's ears popping, I gotta think that LOT may find something tornadic out of all of it.  We'll see.

There was some discussion about 6/18/2010 since it was showing up as a top CIPS analog.  Check this out...storm reports from then and yesterday.  SPC didn't have filtered reports back in 2010 so I'm using the unfiltered version from yesterday for comparison.  Yesterday's map may change a bit as late reports come in and if any tornadoes are confirmed but you get the general idea.  Very similar corridor affected in both instances.

post-14-0-93425600-1404242564_thumb.png

post-14-0-40185700-1404242574_thumb.png

And there it is...

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...UPDATED  
532 PM CDT TUE JUL 1 2014 /632 PM EDT TUE JUL 1 2014/  

...UPDATED EARLVILLE DAMAGE SURVEY RESULTS TO INCLUDE AN EF-1  
TORNADO...  

RATING: EF-1  
ESTIMATED PEAK WIND: 110 MPH  
PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/: 1.5 MILES  
PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/: 50 YARDS  
FATALITIES: NONE  
INJURIES: NONE  

START DATE: JUNE 30 2014  
START TIME: 916 PM CDT  
START LOCATION: 1.5 MILES WEST OF EARLVILLE  
START LAT/LON : 41.5886/-88.9526  

END DATE: JUNE 30 2014  
END TIME: 917 PM CDT  
END LOCATION: 0.5 MILES SOUTHWEST OF EARLVILLE  
END_LAT/LON: 41.5849/-88.9239  

AFTER VIEWING AERIAL PHOTOS FROM LOCAL MEDIA OF CONVERGENT SWIRLING  
AND SCARRING ON THE SOUTHWEST EDGE OF TOWN...A SHORT LIVED TORNADO  
HAS BEEN CONFIRMED TO HAVE TOUCHED DOWN EMBEDDED WITHIN AN AREA OF  
WIDESPREAD STRAIGHT LINE WIND DAMAGE NEAR EARLVILLE.  

IN ADDITION TO THE BRIEF TORNADO...THERE WAS WIDESPREAD STRAIGHT  
LINE WIND DAMAGE ACROSS EARLVILLE AND SURROUNDING AREAS. SOME OF  
THE MOST INTENSE STRAIGHT LINE WIND DAMAGE WAS CONSISTENT WITH  
WIND SPEEDS OF 80 TO 100 MPH.  

I drove a couple different routes across Cedar Rapids today and tree damage was not widespread at all.  Here and there I saw a limb down, some large, and I saw one big tree down at a golf course, but overall the damage was minimal.  The tree damage in my part of the city two weeks ago was much worse.

Archived