• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The official 2014 Summer Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

Well I said 60+ DP's and when we hit the mid 90's tomorrow and Friday they should mix out back into the 60's. This is definitely a dirty ridge not the more common massive 594/595 we see in the summer that are associated with heat waves. This imo is still a very mild heat wave, it will be short and has bust potential on the low side imo.

Meanwhile the heavens have opened up here, incredible storm in progress.

Heck, we may hit mid 90s today. Currently 92. I don't think it would bust on the low side due to the extremely dry ground. Maybe it's a situation where areas that are bone dry get close to 100, while areas where the ground is wetter struggle to hit 95. It's like a desert here while areas not too far away are like a tropical rain forest.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heck, we may hit mid 90s today. Currently 92. I don't think it would bust on the low side due to the extremely dry ground. Maybe it's a situation where areas that are bone dry get close to 100, while areas where the ground is wetter struggle to hit 95. It's like a desert here while areas not too far away are like a tropical rain forest.

Bust for today for sure most locations around FFC didn't hit 90 before the storms rolled in,  Also DP's mixed into the mid 60's region wide. :)

Time Sensitive

http://forecast.weather.gov/obslocal.php?warnzone=GAZ033&local_place=Atlanta GA&zoneid=EDT&offset=14400

Bust for today for sure most locations around FFC didn't hit 90 before the storms rolled in,

Time Sensitive

http://forecast.weather.gov/obslocal.php?warnzone=GAZ033&local_place=Atlanta GA&zoneid=EDT&offset=14400

I guess the air is too stable here to get any storms. Apparently 92 and humid isn't enough to get storms firing in my backyard.

Another cool down for the weekend and early next week:

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
AS OF 145 PM WEDNESDAY...

THE INITIAL LONG TERM PERIOD REMAINS CHARACTERIZED BY A BUILDING
UPPER RIDGE ACROSS THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEY WITH AN UPPER
TROUGH/CLOSED LOW OFF THE NORTHEAST COAST...LEAVING CENTRAL NC UNDER
NORTHWEST UPPER FLOW INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK. A BACKDOOR FRONT WILL
MOVE ACROSS THE AREA LATE FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY...WHICH WILL
PRODUCE OUR BEST CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION DUE TO LOW LEVEL LIFT FROM
THE COOL AIR ADVECTION POTENTIALLY AIDED BY MODEST UPPER LEVEL
SUPPORT. OUTSIDE OF THE SLIGHTLY INCREASED CONFIDENCE IN THIS EARLY
WEEKEND PERIOD... PRECIP CHANCES HINGE ON MESOSCALE DISTURBANCES
ALOFT WITHIN THE NORTHWEST FLOW...WHICH ARE JUST ABOUT IMPOSSIBLE TO
FORECAST THIS FAR IN ADVANCE. AS SUCH...WILL MAINTAIN SMALL CHANCE
POPS THROUGH MONDAY...AFTER WHICH THE UPPER RIDGE AXIS SHIFTS EAST
ENOUGH TO DAMPEN PRECIP CHANCES.

HEIGHTS AND LOW LEVEL THICKNESSES PEAKING FRIDAY ARE INDICATIVE OF
HIGHS REACHING THE MID 90S OVER MUCH OF THE AREA. THESE HEIGHTS FALL
AS THE UPPER TROF DEEPENS ALONG THE EAST COAST CONCURRENT WITH COOL
AIR ADVECTION BY LATER SATURDAY IN UNIFORM LOW LEVEL NORTHEAST FLOW.
HIGHS WILL BE IN TRANSITION SATURDAY...FROM MID 80S NORTH TO 90
SOUTH...AND BOTTOMING OUT IN THE UPPER 70S TO LOWER 80S SUNDAY AND
MONDAY AS DAMMING SETTLES DOWN THE EAST COAST. MORNING LOWS
INITIALLY IN THE LOWER 70S SATURDAY MORNING WILL GRADUALLY FALL INTO
THE LOW TO MID 60S BY TUESDAY MORNING.

THE UPPER RIDGE AXIS WILL SHIFT EAST ON TUESDAY...WITH DRIER AIR AND
GRADUAL MODIFICATION OF THE AIR MASS IN PLACE. HIGHS TUESDAY WILL BE
MOSTLY IN THE LOW TO MID 80S...WARMING TO MOSTLY MID 80S ON
WEDNESDAY.

Jealous of all you east coast folks. Looks like we will have some cooling here, but nothing like you guys. Should "cool" down to near 90 here next week.

Within the next month most of us should start seeing "real" cool downs. I can't wait for that that first day (in October) with temps in the 60s, low humidity, dark blue skies, and a chance of frost on the pumpkins.

Within the next month most of us should start seeing "real" cool downs. I can't wait for that that first day (in October) with temps in the 60s, low humidity, dark blue skies, and a chance of frost on the pumpkins.

I'm so ready for temps in the 60s and 70s every day with low humidity. I absolutely despise heat and humidity that goes on for days on end. I wish I were rich and retired. I would have a home in the mountains in the summer.

Well you can tell this is a NC weather board. GA and TN are getting rocked by severe storms and a tornado and it's crickets. Meanwhile NC can hardly muster a shower right now while TN And GA gets pounded.

The whole board is dead now unless there is a hurricane or a chance of snow.I don't know why folks don't like to discuss the severe storms here.

Well you can tell this is a NC weather board. GA and TN are getting rocked by severe storms and a tornado and it's crickets. Meanwhile NC can hardly muster a shower right now while TN And GA gets pounded.

I have said this like 90 times in the past.

Anyhow, heat advisory for here tomorrow. We have our own microclimate here so we should be under a excessive heat warning because we exceed the heat advisory criteria like everyday.

Same here. I count down the days, hours and minutes to fall every year too. Although I have to say It's not been too bad this year but this coming week will be tough. What I like to do in the summer, especially during heat waves, is follow the weather in the arctic and in the southern hemisphere...or anywhere that is going to be cold. When it's 100 with a 150 degree heat index, it's nice to imagine being in one of those cold spots. Like scotland in the coming days where they are going to have a very cold few days coming up...so cold in fact there could be snow in their higher elevations. Many areas are not expected to get out of the 40s for highs this week.

Here's a link about it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2727734/Wet-cold-bank-holiday-way-forecasters-warn-two-weeks-bad-weather-ahead.html

:lol:  That describes my summer  :P     

Anyhow, heat advisory for here tomorrow. We have our own microclimate here so we should be under a excessive heat warning because we exceed the heat advisory criteria like everyday.

Are you sure you don't live in Columbia?  :P   

I think we have our own little microclimate too. We are in a terrible drought while every other area seems to get pounded by rain on a nightly basis. I wouldn't be surprised if I hit 105 this week while other areas struggle to hit 95.

We got several interesting things going on...

First off... for a good portion of the Carolinas, if you're not baking in the heat and humidity then you are getting hammered by some good thunderstorms. Northwest flow at 500mb looks to be loaded with various s/w's over the next 2-3 days. Also, I think the backdoor front itself could prove very active in the Piedmont and mountains down into Upstate SC by Saturday.

After that...all eyes shift to the tropics to see what happens with 96L...

Trying to figure out why there is a heat advisory 15 miles to my west in AL, but not one here. Surely there isn't different criteria ? It's just weird how the heat advisory in ga is so far south but in Al it extends much farther north. I know it's not going to be any hotter 15 miles to my west than it is here.

HWRF nailed Arthur a couple of days out.  Not saying it is going to be right, but this is the12z solution it is spitting out today.  It was somewhat of an outlier for Arthur until about a day out when everything started trending its way so we shall see.  Nonetheless a 970mb landfall near Miami on Tuesday would be very impactful.  Wouldn't be surprised to see this storm clip the Outer Banks also.

2nc401t.jpg

Wonder if the line cutting across the VA/NC state line will hold together or not tonight? HWO seems to indicate it might as is sags Southward.

A BROKEN LINE OF THUNDERSTORMS WILL TRACK SOUTHWARD FROM VIRGINIA INTO NORTH CAROLINA THIS EVENING...INTO AN ENVIRONMENTINCREASINGLY SUPPORTIVE OF SEVERE WEATHER. THE POTENTIAL FORISOLATED SEVERE WEATHER WILL BE GREATEST ALONG AND NORTH OFHIGHWAY 64 BETWEEN 9 PM AND MIDNIGHT...WITH A PRIMARY THREAT OF DAMAGING WINDS AND PEA TO QUARTER SIZED HAIL.

Morning all, just a wee bit more soupy down here in the Panhandle vs the Mnts of WNC! Some really hot weather on tap for the weekend down this way. Heat indices of 105°-110° are being forecast. Actual temps from the low 90's to above 100 in store. Having a great time so far though.

Laughing, laughing. Fall apart

a phish reference on the weatherboard?  love it!

Of course as I'm ready to head to Hilton Head in a week, the tropical Atlantic decides to start waking up from it's slumber.  that HWFR is interesting but definitely an outlier right now.  Hoping for the OTS curve that just about every other model has right now.

Looks like the tropical system has sped up and that is going to really effect track forecasts.  New 18z GFS makes landfall close to Miami as a TS.  Reminds me of how the models handled Arthur but that about the only thing similar between the two storms.  Have seen the track compared to a Hurricane that occurred in 1899.  Very interesting and something for all us weather geeks to watch over the weekend.

ETA: 18z GFS also gets very interesting off the NC coast next Friday.

Archived