Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The official 2014 Summer Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warning here.  Getting whacked.  My Davis just reported a rain rate of 8.5" per hour.  Thankfully it only stayed there for about 3 minutes before falling back to a still heavy 4".   A lot of wind and lightning as well.  Best storm of the year here.

Whew.  Took a lightning strike here. CLICK,BOOM.  I have major lightning rods on my house with thick cables to ground. Power flashed and then came right back on.  No damage but it confused my network and conflicts popped up everywhere.  Rebooted everything and I think all is good.

Warning here. Getting whacked. My Davis just reported a rain rate of 8.5" per hour. Thankfully it only stayed there for about 3 minutes before falling back to a still heavy 4". A lot of wind and lightning as well. Best storm of the year here.

Dry and semi cool here at 84 degrees.

And as far as getting whacked, I could think of alot of worse things!? :)

Whew. Took a lightning strike here. CLICK,BOOM. I have major lightning rods on my house with thick cables to ground. Power flashed and then came right back on. No damage but it confused my network and conflicts popped up everywhere. Rebooted everything and I think all is good.

Man I hope nothing is damaged! I wonder why they don't put lightening rods on new homes now?

Man I hope nothing is damaged! I wonder why they don't put lightening rods on new homes now?

These were on when I bought the house.  Four thick rods sticking up along the roof ridge.  The heavy cables down into the ground from each are over an inch thick.  The guy I bought the house from had it built to his specs.  He was into all sorts of things.  I have propane lines running all over the damn place.  He heated with it.  I nixed that when the price went up. So I have a 500 gallon in ground tank for my grill, fireplace, water heater and stove.  I could barbecue a blue whale and not run out of gas. 

WWUS82 KRAH 182301 SPSRAH SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC 701 PM EDT MON AUG 18 2014 NCZ024-025-040-041-190015- WAKE-ORANGE-CHATHAM-DURHAM- 701 PM EDT MON AUG 18 2014 ...A CLUSTER OF STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WILL AFFECT PORTIONS OF WAKE...SOUTHEASTERN ORANGE...NORTHEASTERN CHATHAM AND SOUTHERN DURHAM COUNTIES UNTIL 815 PM EDT... AT 700 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A CLUSTER OF STRONG THUNDERSTORMS NEAR CARRBORO...OR NEAR CHAPEL HILL...MOVING EAST AT 30 MPH. WIND GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH THESE STORMS. LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... RALEIGH...DURHAM...CARY...CHAPEL HILL...WAKE FOREST...GARNER... CARRBORO...RDU INTERNATIONAL...APEX AND MORRISVILLE.

Lows in the 70s and highs in the mid 90s will feel pretty brutal. Some areas may not get below 75 at night. By this weekend, it will be late August, and that kind of weather is more typical in July or early August. We are about 13 days away from meteorological fall !

Pssht, temps in the 100s here with lows around 78-80 here and humid!

These were on when I bought the house.  Four thick rods sticking up along the roof ridge.  The heavy cables down into the ground from each are over an inch thick.  The guy I bought the house from had it built to his specs.  He was into all sorts of things.  I have propane lines running all over the damn place.  He heated with it.  I nixed that when the price went up. So I have a 500 gallon in ground tank for my grill, fireplace, water heater and stove.  I could barbecue a blue whale and not run out of gas. 

Mmmm...blue whale!  The storms yesterday had a ton of lightening.  What are the conditions that favor excessive/continuous lightening?  It's not really ML/SBcape, because we've had many days with those parameters similar to yesterday and storms on those days did not produce that amount of lightening.  I thought it was Cape in the -10 - -30C zone.  I don't know what values were there yesterday, but I was under the impression that 500+J/Kg was a pretty healthy amount and would result in a lot of lightening with strong storms.  However, I've seen days this year with that much Cape in that zone that also did not produce much lightening.  So what's the magic number there?  Or what parameter is the most important to lightening production?

Anyway, looks like a lesser chance of storms today, with the highest chances in NC toward in the southern counties.  Not as much shear should contribute to less overall severe weather.  The RAP radar simulation does show some activity crossing central NC, but the HRRR doesn't really show much.  We'll see how they change over the course of the day.

Anyway, looks like a lesser chance of storms today, with the highest chances in NC toward in the southern counties.  Not as much shear should contribute to less overall severe weather.  The RAP radar simulation does show some activity crossing central NC, but the HRRR doesn't really show much.  We'll see how they change over the course of the day.

And remember yesterday when they didn't show anything for central NC, and I wondered if WRAL was overhyping the storm threat? The storms are starting to become like forecasting snow here. You never know until it does or doesn't happen.

:hug:

It's only Tuesday and I'm already tired of the heat. Only 34 days, 3 hrs, 3 minutes and 8 seconds before the start of fall   :wub:

12 days, 3 hours, 52 minutes until the start of meteorological fall. Once the calendar says September, it's fall to me. I mean, do you really think of spring when you think of June ? Technically June is mostly spring, but we all know it really isn't.

12 days, 3 hours, 52 minutes until the start of meteorological fall. Once the calendar says September, it's fall to me. I mean, do you really think of spring when you think of June ? Technically June is mostly spring, but we all know it really isn't.

:lol:  My original thought was it's 100 days until Thanksgiving, because to me that kicks off winter, but it was to far away  :P  

Is there a "Cristobal" (currently Invest 96L) in our future?...

18z GFS - Next Wednesday (August 27th) Center located in the N/C GOM

12z GEM - Next Wednesday (August 27th) Center approaching S. FL

Current Intensity Forecast

It just might, possibly, maybe happen  ;)  

GFS & Euro both have a low pressure moving onshore along the gulf states in the 9-10 day range. As of now, it looks like the system (whatever it becomes) could track over most of us so this is indeed something to watch.

We can only hope. It would be nice to get a widespread 5" of rain to end some of this drought.

:hug:

It's only Tuesday and I'm already tired of the heat. Only 34 days, 3 hrs, 3 minutes and 8 seconds before the start of fall   :wub:

Same here. I count down the days, hours and minutes to fall every year too. Although I have to say It's not been too bad this year but this coming week will be tough. What I like to do in the summer, especially during heat waves, is follow the weather in the arctic and in the southern hemisphere...or anywhere that is going to be cold. When it's 100 with a 150 degree heat index, it's nice to imagine being in one of those cold spots. Like scotland in the coming days where they are going to have a very cold few days coming up...so cold in fact there could be snow in their higher elevations. Many areas are not expected to get out of the 40s for highs this week.

Here's a link about it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2727734/Wet-cold-bank-holiday-way-forecasters-warn-two-weeks-bad-weather-ahead.html

Yeah, it's definitely going to start out warmer and more humid than it has been. Low/mid 90s with 60 plus DPs on the GFS That said if we start approaching 100 in Atlanta it is almost always a low humidity event with light west/nw winds. I have seen the GFS show this a few times over the last couple of days. Reality remains to be seen as we approach the middle of next week IMO.

Well, it's the middle of next week now. Where are those 60 dp's ? Dp in Atlanta at noon is 75 !!!! It's going to be in the 90s with dp in the 70s today. That is ridiculous.

Well, it's the middle of next week now. Where are those 60 dp's ? Dp in Atlanta at noon is 75 !!!! It's going to be in the 90s with dp in the 70s today. That is ridiculous.

Well I said 60+ DP's and when we hit the mid 90's tomorrow and Friday they should mix out back into the 60's.  This is definitely a dirty ridge not the more common massive 594/595 we see in the summer that are associated with heat waves.  This imo is still a very mild heat wave, it will be short and has bust potential on the low side imo.

Meanwhile the heavens have opened up here, incredible storm in progress.

Archived