joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed that for the last week or so the GFS has been showing a tropical system developing sometime in the extended. The date keeps moving back but it keeps showing something. Nobody thinks it is right(and it's been wrong so far) but now I'm getting close to my family vacation on the Outer Banks the last week of this month. Knowing my luck the 0z from last night will be correct. Shows a strong tropical system moving right over the Outer Banks the second day I get there.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fgfs%2F00%2Fgfs_namer_312_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&storm=&cycle=00&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fhr=312&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20140609+00+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

6z has the system hitting southern Texas but ....

Its been showing that for the last three weeks. You know it's something wrong if the CMC isn't showing anything. Hell at one point it even showed development in 48 hours.

Its been showing that for the last three weeks. You know it's something wrong if the CMC isn't showing anything. Hell at one point it even showed development in 48 hours.

Your right, my logical thinking says I shouldn't worry.

On other notes, it would be nice if the 6z was right. I read somewhere that if you want to keep heat waves at bay drop a lot of rain on Texas (especially western parts). This is where the heat builds.

It's been really dry around here for the last 4 weeks. We've only picked up .08" in the last 26 days. Saw a field of corn this morning, leaves all curled and drooping, tassling out already, and only standing 2'-3' tall. Quite a change from the 'Big Wet' of 2013.

Is anyone heading to the US Open at Pinehurst? I was down at Pinehurst from Friday through Sunday to play golf at some of the local courses (Longleaf, Little River, and Pinewild). I stopped by the merchandise tent and saw the entrance to the course. The course looked to be in really good shape, very dry, and rock hard. The only thing that worries me is pop up showers and storms in the afternoon and evening.

10455200_10202918619505463_2004690774586

10173674_10202918625545614_1170533154513

10353586_10202918619705468_3062542261478

TWC.

Somehow I've associated them with the biggest waste of time on earth?...

... Al Rocker.  Does he have a clue how stupid he appears every single moment

of broadcast time?  

It's so 'dumb' now, even the pretty, pregnant gals aren't worth watching. 

Honestly, I have "no clue" where TWC is going.  I doubt they do, either.

Seriously, Mack... TWC has no value, at all, now.

Nice pics! Just change the name of the course from Pinehurst to my backyard , and I guarantee 4 days of rain-free weather and you could probably stretch that to a 10-15 day rain free guarantee ! :)

Dont you put that evil on us! We havnt had rain I dont think since the first of the month, with all these people here theyre gonna start puttin water restrictions on us!  :yikes:

TWC.

Somehow I've associated them with the biggest waste of time on earth?...

... Al Rocker. Does he have a clue how stupid he appears every single moment

of broadcast time?

It's so 'dumb' now, even the pretty, pregnant gals aren't worth watching.

Honestly, I have "no clue" where TWC is going. I doubt they do, either.

Seriously, Mack... TWC has no value, at all, now.

Yeah, I'm starting to realize I don't need it and Weathernation is atleast weather and has alot of pictures, lol. I have found an on air personality that I even enjoy watching/looking at ! :)

I like a sophisticated older woman who looks like she could enjoy a few chicken wings! Her name is Katie Ferrier, usually nightshift.

Grandfather Mountain visit is in our cards either Fourth of July or Labor Day weekend. We are looking for suggestions; we will be traveling with a curious 2-year old. She likes both nature and people watching. We are thinking of also visiting either Blowing Rock or Chimney Rock. Which is best for kids? 

I've been up there several times skiing, but have yet to visit in summer. Time to head to the cooler corner of the Carolinas. I'm assuming it is less crowded than Smoky Mountain NP etc. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

IMO, The Blowing Rock is a money trap.  Having lived within 60 miles of the town of Blowing Rock my entire life, I have only wasted my money on it once.  It's simply a rock with a legend.  Not much to see there.  The town of Blowing Rock is awesome, has a great park, lots of nice shops, and cool temperatures.  It's also close to Julian Price Park and the Moses Cone Manor, both on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Both places have good walking/hiking trails.  It's a great place to visit!

So, I was working on something today from Joplin, MO, and it was the area that got hit by the huge tornado in 2011. Of course it made me go on youtube and look at videos from the storm. I came across this documentary from the National Geographic Channel that is really good. Spring of 2011 might never be topped as far as tornadoes go. From the outbreak in mid April that had the Religh tornado to the Joplin tornado in May, it was a terrible time for tornadoes.

Here's the link to the documentary on the Joplin tornado. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG2DTAzZAzw

Grandfather Mountain visit is in our cards either Fourth of July or Labor Day weekend. We are looking for suggestions; we will be traveling with a curious 2-year old. She likes both nature and people watching. We are thinking of also visiting either Blowing Rock or Chimney Rock. Which is best for kids? 

I've been up there several times skiing, but have yet to visit in summer. Time to head to the cooler corner of the Carolinas. I'm assuming it is less crowded than Smoky Mountain NP etc. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Grandfather Mtn is a neat place for all ages...and do some driving in that area on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  It is likely to be quite crowded around July 4th though.  Labor Day or an off weekend would be better.  In terms of Blowing Rock or Chimney Rock, Chimney Rock is a good drive from Grandfather Mtn, whereas Blowing Rock is close by.  Off the beaten path, Wiseman's View, near Linville, is an awesome spot to take in the view of the Linville Gorge.  It's a 20-30 min drive on a bit of a bumpy, gravel road, but worth it once you get there.  Easy walk out for kids too.

So, I was working on something today from Joplin, MO, and it was the area that got hit by the huge tornado in 2011. Of course it made me go on youtube and look at videos from the storm. I came across this documentary from the National Geographic Channel that is really good. Spring of 2011 might never be topped as far as tornadoes go. From the outbreak in mid April that had the Religh tornado to the Joplin tornado in May, it was a terrible time for tornadoes.

Here's the link to the documentary on the Joplin tornado. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

You are a couple of years late. How is this your first time looking at those insane videos from the tornado? I was watching it live and it got to me when Mike Bettes started crying at the destruction that occurred.

You are a couple of years late. How is this your first time looking at those insane videos from the tornado? I was watching it live and it got to me when Mike Bettes started crying at the destruction that occurred.

I didn't say it was my first time looking at those videos. It was my first time seeing that documentary.

Derecho or not, the complex dumped 3+" of rain in a very short window of time overnight June 4th-5th.

The picture is from a flooded complex in Dickson, TN (about 45 minutes west of Nashville) about 12 hours after the floodwaters had moved downstream and we could check out the damage.  What's not shown is the other building, which had all of the 1st floor units flooded but didn't have a wall to make it worse.

The root cause is actually insufficient drainage for the volume of water draining into that area (there's a ditch a bit to the left and in the foreground) and not the retaining wall - the latter simply makes the damage worse.  The wall was put up after the last wipe-out-all-the-1st-floor-units flood a few years ago, but it can't do anything when the water level is over the top.

The LOLcat caption pretty much writes itself - "RETAINING WALL:  Ur doing it wrong"

post-6144-0-96160600-1402450031_thumb.jp

Set your DVRs or turn on late night with Jimmy Fallon if you are a Dumb and Dumber fan! Jeff Daniels and Jim Carrey are guests and they have to be on there talking about D and D 2!

Edit: they are going to show a world premier trailer toe D & D 2

Edit part duh: funniest trailer ever! Google it or YouTube it!! This movie is going to be epic!!!

Release date: November 14th this year!

I was watching it live and it got to me when Mike Bettes started crying at the destruction that occurred.

I watched some of the footage again a couple of weeks ago (someone recorded the entire livestream and put it on YouTube on the anniversary). I don't know why, but every time he got emotional it bothered me even more than some of the stuff they were showing, as graphic and horrible as it was. 

I also think that might be one of the last times TWC did anything right, but that's another topic.

Set your DVRs or turn on late night with Jimmy Fallon if you are a Dumb and Dumber fan! Jeff Daniels and Jim Carrey are guests and they have to be on there talking about D and D 2!

Edit part duh: funniest trailer ever! Google it or YouTube it!! This movie is going to be epic!!!

The last part with the old woman was both hilarious and upsetting.

Hope if we get any storms today around here they come after 7:00 tonight. My son has his last t-ball game for the season tonight.

I hope I find a million dollars in gold coins in my back yard this afternoon before 6:00 pm.

We're there!  You're in on the SE Weather Forum D&D Viewing Train, right?

Archived