joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the 12z GFS is  back to showing a major storm off the east coast at day 12. As a few have already stated it has been showing a storm for the last few weeks. But nevertheless it's scaring me because I'll be at the Outer Banks during that time:(I also did not get the trip insurance).

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fgfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_288_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&storm=&cycle=12&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fhr=288&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20140611+12+UTC&ps=model&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

Well the 12z GFS is back to showing a major storm off the east coast at day 12. As a few have already stated it has been showing a storm for the last few weeks. But nevertheless it's scaring me because I'll be at the Outer Banks during that time:(I also did not get the trip insurance).

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fgfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_288_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&storm=&cycle=12&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fhr=288&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20140611+12+UTC&ps=model&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

Don't worry. I think the GFS is having trouble with all the activity in the Eastern Pacific. The systems it's has been spawning have all happened in the Eastern Pacific it seems.

Well the 12z GFS is  back to showing a major storm off the east coast at day 12. As a few have already stated it has been showing a storm for the last few weeks. But nevertheless it's scaring me because I'll be at the Outer Banks during that time:(I also did not get the trip insurance).

Your mistake is looking at goofy past day 5  4 3   :P

I purchased an AcuRite weather alert radio; however, it is not alerting me when a severe storm warning is issued for my county. I looked up my SAME number for my county and inserted it. Does anyone know what this may not be happening?

I have not had good luck with their products. I've had two digital thermometers indoor/outdoor break within a year and a digital rain gauge that lasted about a month! See if you can exchange it!

Looks like we should see some severe thunderstorms later this afternoon as the  SW rounds the base of the trough.  Clouds have almost completely vanished where I am and temperatures have increased to 87 where I am.  Conditions today are better than they were yesterday as far as triggering mechanisms go.  With the instability on the increase, would not be suprised to see some flash flooding around the area today. 

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
940 AM EDT THU JUN 12 2014

.UPDATE...
THE LARGE RAIN SHIELD THAT LED TO THE ACTIVE OVERNIGHT PERIOD
ACROSS SOUTH FLORIDA HAS DIMINISHED WITH MAINLY SPRINKLES OR
DRIZZLE REMAINING THIS MORNING. AS A RESULT...THE FORECAST HAS
BEEN UPDATED TO DECREASE THE RAIN CHANCES THROUGH THE MORNING
HOURS. THE MAIN QUESTION WILL BE THROUGH THE AFTERNOON/EVENING
PERIOD TODAY. THE LATEST SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWED A LARGE CANOPY
OF CLOUD COVERAGE ACROSS THE AREA WITH A FEW BREAKS NOTED AROUND
GLADES/HENDRY COUNTIES. IF THIS CLOUD COVERAGE MANAGES TO BURN OFF
OR BREAK THROUGH THE DAY...A COMBINATION OF THE PULSES OF ENERGY
WRAPPING AROUND THE BASE OF THE UPPER TROUGH AND DAYTIME HEATING
WILL TRANSLATE TO ANOTHER ACTIVE AFTERNOON/EVENING PERIOD. THE
MORNING UPPER AIR SOUNDING AT MIAMI SHOWED A VERY MOIST COLUMN
WITH A PW OF 1.74" AND DECENT LAPSE RATES BETWEEN 850 AND 600MB.
THE 500 MB TEMPERATURE WAS AT 9.6 C DEGREES...WHICH WAS COLDER
THAN YESTERDAY DUE TO THE FALLING UPPER HEIGHTS. CONSIDERING THE
RAINFALL THAT HAS FALLEN OVER MUCH OF THE AREA OVER THE PAST FEW
DAYS...LOCALIZED FLOODING COULD BE REALIZED IF THESE CONDITIONS
MATERIALIZE. HOWEVER...IF THE CLOUD COVERAGE MANAGES TO STAY IN
PLACE...THE CHANCES OF AN ACTIVE AFTERNOON WILL BE LOWER. THE
LATEST HRRR ACTUALLY REFLECTS THIS LATTER SOLUTION OR MORE OF A
QUIET AFTERNOON PERIOD DUE TO THE OVERCAST CONDITIONS. CONSIDERING
THESE VARIOUS POSSIBILITIES...VERY LITTLE CHANGE WAS MADE TO THE
PREVIOUS PACKAGE FOR THIS PERIOD TODAY.

CR, did you see the d and d preview ? What you think?

Yes I did!  Looks good....  The thing with a movie like this, without context, the preview clips look just so so.  But within the context of the movie, the gags are hilarious.  I remember watching the trailer for the first movie and thinking it looked good, but wasn't enthusiastic about it, really.  But when I saw the movie, it was much, much better than I thought.  It was an instant classic for me.  I'm not expecting this one to top the other.  But I know it'll be funny and can't wait to see it!

Crapper Jim, is it possible for you to make a post without a reference to urinating, defecating, or copulating?  It might be funny occasionally if used cleverly, but it gets rather tiresome and boorish if you overuse that meme.

You're right.  I removed the previous post.  

Trying to recall any copulating posts, however.

Nice stretch of mid-upper 90s next week and dry!

This summer is not even close to being like last summer and is not really looking like a Niño summer! There are no widespread rain makers around and we are headed torwards drought this summer if things don't change soon. Pop-up storms really aren't helping anything if you are on the miss side of things! :(

The fireflies have been loving the near-daily rains.  The display they are putting on each evening in my yard is the best one in years.

It won't be fun when the mosquito population explodes in a few days.  I'm going to be devoting a non-trivial amount of time to a search-and-dump mission for anything that could be holding water, and cleaning out the gutters.  Skeeters usually don't bite me, but they make life miserable for my husband - and I have to live with him.

The fireflies have been loving the near-daily rains.  The display they are putting on each evening in my yard is the best one in years.

It won't be fun when the mosquito population explodes in a few days.  I'm going to be devoting a non-trivial amount of time to a search-and-dump mission for anything that could be holding water, and cleaning out the gutters.  Skeeters usually don't bite me, but they make life miserable for my husband - and I have to live with him.

No mosquitoes, and minimal housefly population, this year... so far.

Last year was awful - esp. flies.

:)

Archived