joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring/ Summer 2014 Convection Discussion

weatherwiz

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I could be home to enjoy rather than driving through them.  But, I'll take what I can get.

When do you think things might kick off?

Well the HRRR kicks things off real early now that I look at it. Looks like there is a nice instability tongue over NW CT and up your way. I'd say anytime after 2-4pm. Not sure I buy the real early stuff on HRRR.

Well the HRRR kicks things off real early now that I look at it. Looks like there is a nice instability tongue over NW CT and up your way. I'd say anytime after 2-4pm. Not sure I buy the real early stuff on HRRR.

Yeah still some CIN/capping issues. I could see a big storm in Litchfield Co up to the Berks though. 

If someone could do me a big favor and post the 12z observed ALY and OKX soundings from the SPC site when they are out.  I'll be at work and we aren't supposed to use our phones, however, if someone would be so kind to just post them here I can take like 5 seconds to quickly check.  Thanks in advance!

Here you go Wiz... not the greatest soundings but I expect improvement later on.

For anyone wondering what ACCAS was like I was :

Altocumulus Castellanus (ACCAS) is named for its tower-like projections that billow upwards from the base of the cloud. The base of the cloud can form as low as 2,000 metres (6,500 feet), or as high as 6,000 metres (20,000 feet). They are very similar to cumulus congestus clouds, but at a higher level.

Castellanus clouds are evidence of mid-atmospheric instability and a high mid-altitude lapse rate.[1] They may be a harbinger of heavy showers and thunderstorms and, if surface-based convection can connect to the mid-tropospheric unstable layer, continued development of Castellanus clouds can produce cumulonimbus clouds.

Altocumulus Castellanus clouds are typically accompanied by moderate turbulence as well as potential icing conditions. For these reasons, flight through Altocumulus Castellanus clouds is often best avoided by aircraft. [2]

The appearance of Altocumulus Castellanus early in a sunny day may indicate a high probability the formation of thunderstorms in the afternoon, as they may develop into cumulonimbus storm clouds. [3]

Thanks!

ALB sounding much better looking than OKX...nice sfc boundary too leading to backed winds...has to be watched.

Pretty decent cap in place but both soundings show that the convective temp will be reached. Should be fun across NY into western MA and CT!

We are leaving Springfield at 1:45...hopefully storms come by then

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH NUMBER 384

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1115 AM EDT WED JUL 2 2014

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

NORTHWEST CONNECTICUT

FAR WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS

CENTRAL AND EASTERN NEW YORK

CENTRAL AND EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA

VERMONT

* EFFECTIVE THIS WEDNESDAY MORNING AND EVENING FROM 1115 AM UNTIL

700 PM EDT.

* PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...

WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH LIKELY

SCATTERED LARGE HAIL EVENTS TO 1.5 INCHES IN DIAMETER POSSIBLE

A TORNADO OR TWO POSSIBLE

THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 75

STATUTE MILES EAST AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 25 MILES WEST

NORTHWEST OF NEWPORT VERMONT TO 40 MILES SOUTH SOUTHEAST OF

ALTOONA PENNSYLVANIA. FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE

THE ASSOCIATED WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU4).

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

REMEMBER...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE

FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH

AREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR

THREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS

AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS. SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAN AND OCCASIONALLY

DO PRODUCE TORNADOES.

&&

DISCUSSION...NUMEROUS TSTMS CAPABLE OF LOCALLY DMGG

WIND...HAIL...AND POSSIBLY AN TORNADO ARE EXPECTED OVER PARTS OF

PA/NY AND ADJACENT NEW ENGLAND THIS AFTN IN ZONE OF STRONG SFC-BASED

INSTABILITY AND MODERATE...WSWLY DEEP SHEAR ON SERN FLANK OF HUDSON

BAY UPR LOW. DEVELOPMENT MAY BE ASSISTED BY UPR IMPULSE NOW SHEARING

NNEWD FROM WV/WRN PA.

AVIATION...A FEW SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH HAIL SURFACE AND ALOFT

TO 1.5 INCHES. EXTREME TURBULENCE AND SURFACE WIND GUSTS TO 60

KNOTS. A FEW CUMULONIMBI WITH MAXIMUM TOPS TO 550. MEAN STORM

MOTION VECTOR 24030.

For anyone wondering what ACCAS was like I was :

Altocumulus Castellanus (ACCAS) is named for its tower-like projections that billow upwards from the base of the cloud. The base of the cloud can form as low as 2,000 metres (6,500 feet), or as high as 6,000 metres (20,000 feet). They are very similar to cumulus congestus clouds, but at a higher level.

Castellanus clouds are evidence of mid-atmospheric instability and a high mid-altitude lapse rate.[1] They may be a harbinger of heavy showers and thunderstorms and, if surface-based convection can connect to the mid-tropospheric unstable layer, continued development of Castellanus clouds can produce cumulonimbus clouds.

Altocumulus Castellanus clouds are typically accompanied by moderate turbulence as well as potential icing conditions. For these reasons, flight through Altocumulus Castellanus clouds is often best avoided by aircraft. [2]

The appearance of Altocumulus Castellanus early in a sunny day may indicate a high probability the formation of thunderstorms in the afternoon, as they may develop into cumulonimbus storm clouds. [3]

ACCAS were observed the morning of the June 11' tornado where that first line blew up in the morning.

Archived