gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
April 28-30th Severe Threat and Flood event potential

mackerel_sky

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks to me like the sun will be breaking through this ridiculous cloud deck very soon here. Skies have brightened up and cloud deck has risen substantially.

The parameters are there if we can just add the sun thing will get interesting later this afternoon.

Early convection on the SC coast appears to be disrupting the LLJ to 850 level flow. Surface chart looks good far eastern NC and extreme southeast VA. Jet stream level improving. However the 850, LLJ to surface forecast wind fields are a train wreck if you want severe. Models had been showing that issue and now we know why. Too many storms are in progress on the SC coast. Don't think it's the Gulf stuff. SC convection snagged the wind fields. Now if you are expecting flooding, the soundings are plenty juicy.

That disappoints me. Still hoping to see some good storms today.

Yep. Looks like the marginal instability we got this morning combined with some old outflow boundaries to pop of a few thunderstorms already before the better upper-level dynamics got here. Turning into a heavy rain threat I think.

mcd0492.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0492   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   1133 AM CDT WED APR 30 2014   AREAS AFFECTED...SE VA...ERN NC   CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE    VALID 301633Z - 301800Z   PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...40 PERCENT   SUMMARY...A SEVERE THREAT MAY CONTINUE TO DEVELOP ACROSS SE VA AND   ERN NC THROUGH EARLY THIS AFTERNOON. SUPERCELLS MAY BE CAPABLE OF   PRODUCING TORNADOES BUT THE THREAT FOR TORNADOES SHOULD REMAIN   ISOLATED. HAIL AND WIND DAMAGE MAY OCCUR WITH THE STRONGER CELLS.   DISCUSSION...THE LATEST SFC ANALYSIS SHOWS A CORRIDOR OF LOW-LEVEL   MOISTURE EXTENDING NWD ACROSS ERN SC...ERN NC INTO SE VA WHERE SFC   DEWPOINTS ARE IN THE UPPER 60S F AND LOWER 70S F. OBJECTIVE ANALYSIS   SHOWS MLCAPE IN THE 1000 TO 1500 J/KG RANGE ACROSS THE CORRIDOR. IN   ADDITION...THE WSR-88D VWP AT WAKEFIELD VA SHOWS 0-6 KM SHEAR AROUND   30 KT WITH SUBSTANTIAL SPEED SHEAR FROM THE SFC TO 1 KM AGL. THIS   SHOULD BE ENOUGH FOR SUPERCELL DEVELOPMENT AND POSSIBLY A TORNADO OR   TWO WITH CELLS THAT REMAIN DISCRETE. WIND DAMAGE AND HAIL MAY ALSO   OCCUR ESPECIALLY AS INSTABILITY INCREASES AND LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES   STEEPEN.   ..BROYLES/THOMPSON.. 04/30/2014

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

AS OF 1235 PM WEDNESDAY...

UPDATE... A LARGE MULTICELL COMPLEX HAS FORMED FROM CHARLESTON NORTH

INTO EAST-CENTRAL NC ALONG NUMEROUS MERGING BOUNDARIES. WHILE NOT

COINCIDENT WITH THE BEST DEEP LAYER SHEAR...LOW-LEVEL HELICITY

VALUES MAY STILL SUPPORT SOME EMBEDDED ROTATING STORMS. THE

ORIENTATION OF THE STORM CLUSTERS SUGGEST FLASH FLOODING MAY BE A

BIGGER CONCERN ALONG THE I-95 CORRIDOR...WHERE SEVERAL INCHES OF

RAIN FELL JUST YESTERDAY. WILL BE MAKING SOME EDITS TO THE FORECAST

TO REFLECT THE EASTWARD SHIFT IN FOCUS. -SMITH

THE WEDGE/WARM FRONT CONTINUES TO PUSH NORTHWEST AND IS JUST EAST

IF THE TRIAD...PUTTING NEARLY ALL OF CENTRAL NC IN THE WARM SECTOR

CHARACTERIZED BY LOWER 70 DEWPOINTS. REGIONALLY...THERE IS

WIDESPREAD CLOUD COVER FROM CONVECTION ALONG THE GULF COAST...BUT

SPC MESOANALYSIS SHOWS DESTABILIZATION ALREADY UNDERWAY IN THE WARM

SECTOR...AIDED BY RELATIVELY STEEP MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES BETWEEN

850MB AND 500MB PER THE KGSO 12Z RAOB. LATEST RAP SOUNDINGS SHOW

1000-2000 J/KG MLCAPE IN THE WARM SECTOR BY EARLY AFTERNOON. BULK

SHEAR CONTINUES TO BE STRONG WITH A CORRIDOR OF 45-50KT OVER THE

WESTERN HALF OF THE STATE. LOW-LEVEL HODOGRAPHS REMAIN CYCLONICALLY

CURVED WITH SOUTHEASTERLY SURFACE WINDS AND A 40KT 850MB FLOW OVER

THE CAROLINAS. OUTSIDE OF THE RETREATING WEDGE FRONT...TRIGGERS FOR

CONVECTION ARE A LITTLE MORE NEBULOUS...BUT CONVECTION IS ALREADY

ONGOING OVER CENTRAL SC...WITH A REMNANT MCV OVER THE SAVANNAH RIVER

BASIN. RAP VORT FORECASTS BRING THIS MCV OVER THE SANDHILLS IN THE

17-19Z TIME FRAME. THIS MAY THE MOST OBVIOUS FEATURE UPSTREAM TO

KEY ON...THOUGH CONVECTION SHOULD CONTINUE TO DEVELOP ALONG

DIFFERENTIAL HEATING AND OUTFLOW BOUNDARIES. ALL OF THESE

INGREDIENTS WILL SUPPORT SEVERE STORMS WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR LARGE

HAIL...DAMAGING WINDS AND ISOLATED TORNADOES.

GIVEN THAT THE TRIAD IS CLOSE TO BEING SCOURED OUT FO THE STABLE

AIRMASS...WILL FORECAST HIGHS IN THE 75-83 RANGE.

WHILE RAINFALL HAS BEEN A LITTLE LACK LUSTER OVER THE PIEDMONT...

STORM MOTION TODAY SHOULD STILL SUPPORT TRAINING OF CELLS....AND

AREAS ALONG THE I-95 CORRIDOR WERE MORE THAN PRIMED WITH LAST

EVENINGS RAINFALL. THUS...THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH WILL CONTINUE TODAY.

Outflow boundary?

They had this advisory earlier...

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC1118 AM EDT WED APR 30 2014SCZ020-021-026>028-301730-NEWBERRY-FAIRFIELD-SALUDA-LEXINGTON-RICHLAND-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWBERRY...WINNSBORO...SALUDA...RIDGE SPRING...WEST COLUMBIA...CAYCE...LEXINGTON...RED BANK...COLUMBIA1118 AM EDT WED APR 30 2014...STRONG WIND APPROACHING THE LAKE MURRAY AREA...A BAND OF STRONG WIND MOVING FROM PARTS OF EDGEFIELD AND SALUDA COUNTY WILL MOVE INTO THE LAKE MURRAY AREA AROUND NOON.WINDS OF 40 TO 50 MPH MAY OCCUR.THIS WIND WILL DOWN SOME WEAKENED TREES. IT WILL LIKELY BECOMEVERY DANGEROUS ON LAKE MURRAY.

Weird that this goes completely around Wake County.

116 PM EDT Wed Apr 30 2014

The National Weather Service has issued Tornado Watch 121 in
effect until 7 PM EDT this evening for the following areas

In North Carolina this watch includes 8 counties

In central North Carolina

Edgecombe             Franklin              Granville           
Halifax               Nash                  Vance               
Warren                Wilson               

This includes the cities of...Butner...Creedmoor...Franklinton...
Henderson...Louisburg...Nashville...Norlina...Oxford...Red Oak...
Roanoke Rapids...Rocky Mount...Sharpsburg...Spring Hope...
Warrenton and Wilson.

Oy vey it looks like it's going to be a steady rain for awhile. No good. The ground is definitely super saturated from yesterday, and ponding is already starting to take place on the roadways. I hope we don't get anymore colossal downpours. Pretty consistent rolling thunder and plenty of lightning. W Fay.

Yeah, this is going to go down as a monster bust for the western areas for both severe and rain. It's amazing that technology and forecasting ability can still be so poor at times.

It's kind of a double-edged sword. I really don't want destructive tornadoes and storms. But if they are going to hype it like it was this past Sunday for today and yesterday, then if we don't get anything it will just make more people not pay attention the next time because they will think it's the boy crying wolf.

But the forecast is usually a lot more accurate when it comes to severe weather around here compared to snow.

Yeah, this is going to go down as a monster bust for the western areas for both severe and rain. It's amazing that technology and forecasting ability can still be so poor at times.

No place in NC has been higher than a slight risk during the entire outbreak. This was never supposed to be a big outbreak like what happened in AR here. I think the SPC made that very clear even as early as late last week.

No place in NC has been higher than a slight risk during the entire outbreak. This was never supposed to be a big outbreak like what happened in AR here. I think the SPC made that very clear even as early as late last week.

Nobody was calling for a big severe weather outbreak. That's very correct.

It's kind of a double-edged sword. I really don't want destructive tornadoes and storms. But if they are going to hype it like it was this past Sunday for today and yesterday, then if we don't get anything it will just make more people not pay attention the next time because they will think it's the boy crying wolf.

But the forecast is usually a lot more accurate when it comes to severe weather around here compared to snow.

That's true.

Don't they always? Would you watch them if they gave the same information as the SPC?

Oh, I know better, but most folks don't follow the weather like people on here. I just worry about the next time when they hype it and people don't listen, and it ends up being really bad. Yesterday was pretty bad around Fayetteville, but if anyone was listening to the local media Sunday it sounded like most of NC would see a bad outbreak yesterday and today. It was pretty hyped here, too.

Archived