12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
April 26th-30th, 2014 Major Tornado Outbreak

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From 0600 SPC Day 1 OTLK -- http://kamala.cod.edu/SPC/latest.acus01.KWNS.html

GIVEN UNCERTAINTY WHICH PERSISTS ATTM...DEGREE OF RISK REMAINS  UNCLEAR...AND THUS HAVE OPTED NOT TO INCLUDE SIGNIFICANT  SEVERE/TORNADO AREAS ATTM.  ONCE THE SCENARIO BECOMES MORE  CLEAR...FURTHER REFINEMENTS OF THE FORECAST WILL BE MADE TO BETTER  HIGHLIGHT MORE SPECIFIC AREAS/RISK LEVELS. 

That is one ugly TDS just west of Phenix City Alabama..wow

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BIRMINGHAM AL
402 AM CDT TUE APR 29 2014

ALC081-290930-
/O.CON.KBMX.TO.W.0036.000000T0000Z-140429T0930Z/
LEE AL-
402 AM CDT TUE APR 29 2014

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHEASTERN LEE COUNTY
UNTIL 430 AM CDT...

...TORNADO EMERGENCY SOUTHEASTERN FOR LEE COUNTY...

AT 359 AM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR WAS TRACKING A
CONFIRMED TORNADO. THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED 5 MILES SOUTHEAST OF
GRIFFEN MILL...OR 7 MILES SOUTHWEST OF SMITHS...MOVING NORTHEAST AT
50 MPH.

What a powerful system...I didn't expect to wake up today and see tornados still ongoing down south (I woke up in time to see the one Arnold214 posted above).

Speaking of which, nothing from NWS, but looks like some weak rotation south of Atlanta, near Griffin.

Edit: And the rotation dissipated just as fast. Gone now.

Well... That Crawford storm was fun to track from work with wall to wall coverage. Hearing about a TON of damage just north of Crawford & Highway 80. I started tweeting about it near Little Texas in eastern Macon County and it all of a sudden exploded! Pretty impressive to watch that hook unfold... Impressive, yet scary when it's going over your viewing area. Here's hoping everyone made it out of this one... :/

EDIT: Here's a look at the Radar Loop of the storm. It intensified as it rolled over Highway 80 and lifted north towards Smiths Station and eventually broke apart in extreme northeastern Muscogee County. Damage reported from Highway 80, through Smiths Station to northeastern Muscogee County. http://twitpic.com/e2eprs

It's cool and drizzling here this morning. I'm hoping the clouds stick around today and keep the instability down in the Triangle. It looks like RAH thinks the front will drift north and Raleigh will be right on the line, though. Maybe we can dodge a bullet here today, but it's going to be hard to dodge it today and tomorrow, too.

10302648_481917085242989_495747369864794

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC549 AM EDT TUE APR 29 2014...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH A FEW TORNADOES HIGHLY PROBABLEACROSS CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA TODAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT...SEVERAL BANDS OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WILL CROSS CENTRALNORTH CAROLINA TODAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT. WHILE THE NEARSURFACE AIR MASS IS STABLE EARLY THIS MORNING...THE ATMOSPHERE ISEXPECTED TO BECOME UNSTABLE...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE SOUTH AND EASTSECTIONS OF CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA THIS AFTERNOON...AND ACROSSTHE ENTIRE AREA TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.IN ADDITION...THE WIND PROFILE OVER OUR REGION WILL BE FAVORABLEFOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF THUNDERSTORMS THAT CONTAIN ROTATINGUPDRAFTS. THESE STORMS WILL HAVE A GREATER POTENTIAL OF PRODUCINGSEVERE WEATHER INCLUDING TORNADOES.LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES....EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OFFICIALS... ANDSPOTTER GROUPS SHOULD MONITOR THE LATEST WEATHER CONDITIONS AND BEPREPARED FOR POSSIBLE ACTIONS AND AUGMENT STAFFING THIS AFTERNOONTHROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.PEOPLE ACROSS CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA NEED TO KEEP ABREAST OF THELATEST WEATHER INFORMATION TODAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT. HAVE ASOURCE OF WEATHER INFORMATION READILY AVAILABLE. ALSO...MAKECONTINGENT PLANS NOW OF WHERE YOU WOULD GO TO TAKE SHELTER IN THEEVENT OF WEATHER EMERGENCY WHETHER YOU ARE AT HOME...WORK...OR INYOUR CAR.

I suspect the radar-indicated was a typo/paste error of some sort.

It's all done through radio buttons, and the default is radar indicated. So if you are trying to pump out a quick TOR that will likely be the "mistake" that the radio button isn't changed from radar indicated to spotter confirmed.

But that's what a SVS is for, updating a warning with new information about reports or location.

I seriously think this thing is done, but then again there was the storm on near Lynchburg, TN that was pulling in nothing but rain-cooled inflow and it had a tornado on it.

Sort of. Here is the 00z sounding from BNA as an example. The low levels were indeed stable, but you don't have to go very far aloft to get into the unstable air. The inflow was still pulling in unstable air, and when helicity is high enough and stable layer shallow enough these storms can still remain or become surface based quite easily.

post-44-0-27808400-1398780859_thumb.gif

Sort of. Here is the 00z sounding from BNA as an example. The low levels were indeed stable, but you don't have to go very far aloft to get into the unstable air. The inflow was still pulling in unstable air, and when helicity is high enough and stable layer shallow enough these storms can still remain or become surface based quite easily.

attachicon.gifBNA.gif

50KTS around 930mb. Enough said.

Our winds here in Southeast Mississippi at the surface have now backed and are coming out of the Southeast. Not sure I like that...

RAP forecast shows a nice recovery in air mass across the area. Not quite to the extent the SPC has the moderate risk, but at the very least Columbia to Meridian to Birmingham and east.

RAP forecast shows a nice recovery in air mass across the area. Not quite to the extent the SPC has the moderate risk, but at the very least Columbia to Meridian to Birmingham and east.

Isn't the relatively early initiation of convection over the Delta (wrn MS) one of the reasons why a High Risk may not be issued at 1630Z?

Isn't the relatively early initiation of convection over the Delta (wrn MS) one of the reasons why a High Risk may not be issued at 1630Z?

There is uncertainty regarding northward recovery of the air mass, but I'm not sure that's the sole reason for the lack of a high risk.

It's a battle of the RAP/12-km NAM vs. 4-km NAM/HRRR/EMC WRF as to airmass recovery extent and low-level shear.  Given the performance yesterday, I'll hedge my bets on the latter.

Archived