• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 26th-30th, 2014 Major Tornado Outbreak

I think so too... but the lack of real nice discrete cells from the HRRR in AR gives me pause. It would be a pretty bad bust if the 95% tornado + 80% significant tornado PDS watch doesn't verify. 

The HRRR is also hinting at another round of supercells across NE Tx along a pre-established outflow boundary after ~6z which eventually propagates into S AR as a QLCS like feature.

EDIT: Also has a very impressive QLCS move through SE MO, S IL and eventually into Indiana and KY by 12z.

post-7879-0-03566200-1398642246_thumb.pn

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The storm in Quapah wasn't even severe warned, but looking at the radar... I can see why.... It looked very innocuous with only the first hint of a couplet as it entered town with almost no reflectivity over town.

post-4325-0-31841100-1398642651_thumb.pn

The HRRR is also hinting at another round of supercells across NE Tx along a pre-established outflow boundary after ~6z which eventually propagates into S AR as a QLCS like feature.

attachicon.gifhrrr_ref_mc_11.png

Yep... that would be the cold front... but the HRRR suggests that most of this activity stays south of the moderate and high risk area. The problem in addition to the non-discrete nature of the cells over C AR, lower dewpoints are actually being advected into AR. The highest dewpoints (low 70's) are further west, but since the surface flow is from the southeast... low to mid 60 F dewpoints are being advected from LA. The PDS watch expires at 04 UTC... so we have another 4 hours to see what happens.

Is the disruption of low-level flow by convection in ctrl AR reducing the low-level shear by veering low-level winds to the south of the warm front? Is that why nothing discrete is really forming in the High Risk? What factors haven't played out as SPC and/or some models expected by now?

Also, is there a reason why convection has developed along/north of the warm front in ctrl AR, not south of it?

The fact that the warm front has barely moved over the past six hours has obviously played a huge role in reducing today's tornado potential.

I think so too... but the lack of real nice discrete cells from the HRRR in AR gives me pause. It would be a pretty bad bust if the 95% tornado + 80% significant tornado PDS watch doesn't verify. 

I saw the HRRR as well. Interesting it has little convection in the next few hours. That seemed weird to me, but we'll see.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LITTLE ROCK AR

706 PM CDT SUN APR 27 2014

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN LITTLE ROCK HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
  NORTH CENTRAL SALINE COUNTY IN CENTRAL ARKANSAS...
  WEST CENTRAL PULASKI COUNTY IN CENTRAL ARKANSAS...
  EAST CENTRAL PERRY COUNTY IN CENTRAL ARKANSAS...
  SOUTHWESTERN FAULKNER COUNTY IN CENTRAL ARKANSAS...

* UNTIL 730 PM CDT

* AT 706 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
  SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO.  THIS SEVERE
  STORM WAS LOCATED 5 MILES NORTH OF LAKE NORRELL...OR 8 MILES
  SOUTHWEST OF LAKE MAUMELLE. DOPPLER RADAR SHOWED THIS SEVERE STORM
  MOVING NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IN THE PATH OF THIS DANGEROUS STORM INCLUDE...
  MAUMELLE...           LAKE MAUMELLE...      ROLAND...
  PINNACLE MTN...       MORGAN...             MAYFLOWER...
  MARCHE...             LITTLE ITALY...       LAKE NORRELL...
  CHENAL VALLEY...      PARON...              PALARM...
  NATURAL STEPS...      FERNDALE...           BLAND...

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 40 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 133 AND 145.

Mail and debris from Quapaw falling in Nevada, MO.

Looked back, the tornado warning was issued ~5 minutes after it hit Quapaw.

Wow, what a shame that happened the way it did...shows that even with today's technology, predicting and issuing warnings is still not an exact science.

Archived