joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring and Summer thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a good storm today again. We picked up .56 inches of rain.

Today is yet another good storm day..the entire Balsam range has convection currently..especially at the ridge tops.  Lots of action in TN that might try to advect in later as well.

More rain yesterday with storms rolling through. Well today is the summer solstice and that means two things. First is the days will be getting shorter and that fall is only three months away!

Let the countdown begin! We missed out on the storms yesterday. That line fizzled out as it approached us.

Very nice man!

Very nice! Did you use Go Pro to do this?

Very nice!

Thanks guys!  No I used my Nikon D3100 with the Tokina 11-16mm lens.  I do wish I had a go pro though for other adventures, those are pretty neat!  Currently we are getting a much needed shower downtown.  This is the second one already today!

http://cimmse.wordpress.com/2014/06/24/an-8-year-lightning-climatology-of-north-carolina/

Cool lightning study. Note comments at end of it. It appears possible that mountain areas are under reported by lightning network. For instance Asheville has the most days that lightning strikes are recorded of any city in NC but receives almost the least number of strikes. Note that 33 percent of all strikes occur in July..and that 50% of all strikes occur on only 4 or 5 days that are very active.

http://cimmse.wordpress.com/2014/06/24/an-8-year-lightning-climatology-of-north-carolina/

Cool lightning study. Note comments at end of it. It appears possible that mountain areas are under reported by lightning network. For instance Asheville has the most days that lightning strikes are recorded of any city in NC but receives almost the least number of strikes. Note that 33 percent of all strikes occur in July..and that 50% of all strikes occur on only 4 or 5 days that are very active.

Interesting Mike. Hard to get accurate number with some technology. But at least it is a start. Looks like more rain coming from the south.

Came across this link:

http://wind.appstate.edu/resources/wind-maps-and-resource-assessment

I have seen various wind maps before but never to this detail...now country levels maps are available.

Here are a couple of examples.  (Grandfather mtn sticks out!) Go to the link..scroll down a bit..pick your county..and enjoy!

post-9361-0-74041200-1403805596_thumb.jp

post-9361-0-86672600-1403805605_thumb.jp

That coupled with a west-based Moderate El-Nino could be the ticket. Wait......are we making winter predictions already?....and so it begins.

If the NAO is really emerging into a long term negative regime, blocking should be favored, though you wouldn't know it from the last few winters. If we get the west-based Nino (as long as it's not too strong), this winter should look different than the last few wrt favorable blocking. Fingers crossed....

Archived