Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Spring and Summer thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was not expecting this but current temp is own to 41 degrees.

Nice!

Finally getting a chance to come down to the mtn top for a few days starting Thursday morning. Looks like plenty of convection will be there to greet me.  Hope to drive around and look at some of the local NASA equipment and get to meet some of the people involved as well so should be a great trip.  Will take some pics and share when I get back.

Today-plenty of convective signals perhaps centered on the Balsam mtns so things could get a little interesting later. 

Nice pictures once again, Hvward.  I only saw one meteor and it was in between my long-exposure camera shots.  Oh well.

Very nice man. You going pro with photography.

Thanks guys and no I just do it for fun!  While studying to be a met, I am trying to develop my photography skills so I can be very effective out in field.  I will share one more that I happened to find under some low exposure.  Was photoing the Milky Way Galaxy and a faint meteor happened to pass through!

bgvk9i.jpg

Nice!

Finally getting a chance to come down to the mtn top for a few days starting Thursday morning. Looks like plenty of convection will be there to greet me.  Hope to drive around and look at some of the local NASA equipment and get to meet some of the people involved as well so should be a great trip.  Will take some pics and share when I get back.

Today-plenty of convective signals perhaps centered on the Balsam mtns so things could get a little interesting later. 

Ya very cool man. I have been looking for property around my area recently as I just got a new job. Do not know were the best place to live at but I am looking for several acres of land all around 3000+ feet in elevation. I have been looking in the Crabtree and Fines Creek area and also the Hot Springs area as I have found some land up there for as much a 15+ acres. I have also been looking in the Balsams also. Thought you could help me out. Ended up with a low of 39 degrees. Ya lots of convection this week. Looks very active this week. Looks like we may be entering a very wet period with possible localized flooding by the end of the week.

Thanks guys and no I just do it for fun!  While studying to be a met, I am trying to develop my photography field so I can be very effective out in field.  I will share one more that I happened to find under some low exposure.  Was photoing the Milky Way Galaxy and a faint meteor happened to pass through!

bgvk9i.jpg

That's cool man. Would still love to get together with the mountain folk in Asheville and maybe have dinner one evening or something.

Ya very cool man. I have been looking for property around my area recently as I just got a new job. Do not know were the best place to live at but I am looking for several acres of land all around 3000+ feet in elevation. I have been looking in the Crabtree and Fines Creek area and also the Hot Springs area as I have found some land up there for as much a 15+ acres. I have also been looking in the Balsams also. Thought you could help me out. Ended up with a low of 39 degrees. Ya lots of convection this week. Looks very active this week. Looks like we may be entering a very wet period with possible localized flooding by the end of the week.

That's cool man. Would still love to get together with the mountain folk in Asheville and maybe have dinner one evening or something.

I would be in ha!  But it looks like we are the only ones.

Suggest Soco Gap..

Lots of rain..snow..wildlife..good access from where you are at.

Ya there are actually some really good lots of about 12 to 13 acres there that not that bad on price. I may set up a showing around that area soon. Thanks Mike. Well we have steady rain already this morning. Convective storms should be a little more wide spread today.

Ya there are actually some really good lots of about 12 to 13 acres there that not that bad on price. I may set up a showing around that area soon. Thanks Mike. Well we have steady rain already this morning. Convective storms should be a little more wide spread today.

How about this place? http://www.beverly-hanks.com/search/detail/562069

Near the summit of Mt. Mitchell! This parcel is at 5800 feet..a larger adjacent parcel to 6030 feet..only a hundred feet lower than my place but the weather there must be incredibly rotten! :)  One sided spruce trees..dead give away that winds there must be insane. 

K index looking nice for storms this afternoon.  Also lapse rates look to be increasing.  Hoping to see some nice t storms this afternoon.

Not sure.  There is a nice little cluster of storms in Northern Haywood at the moment..but little else. HRRR doesn't generate much this afternoon and starts to increase CIN quicker than normal.  Also the latest SAT loop doesn't show any expansion in the local cumulus field. Finally there is local minimum in PW all suggesting that perhaps convection this afternoon may under perform. However, I am having fun watching the NO-XP radar image...http://wdssii.nssl.noaa.gov/web/wdss2/products/radar/NOXP/AGIF_NOXP_Reflectivity_04.00.gif

EDIT: 1815 Z SAT image now shows sudden building cumulus congestus in several areas so aerial storm coverage will indeed increase shortly.

How about this place? http://www.beverly-hanks.com/search/detail/562069

Near the summit of Mt. Mitchell! This parcel is at 5800 feet..a larger adjacent parcel to 6030 feet..only a hundred feet lower than my place but the weather there must be incredibly rotten! :)  One sided spruce trees..dead give away that winds there must be insane. 

Lol ya that's pretty wild. I have found several places around here that are up around 4000 feet.

Nice catch!

I'm a photog enthusiast, also. You Photoshop?

Thanks man!  And I just recently in the past 2 or 3 days got introduced to Photoshop.  I was using Adobe Lightroom before and have edited all my posted pictures with that but now I will be using Photoshop.  You have a favorite tool or anything you like to use?  I would love some insight.

As far as storms for today, K values look lack luster with only a small area producing +28 K-values.  Low level lapse rates don't look to be in favor of storms, but mid level lapse rates are supportive of storms.  Lifting Condensation Level seems to be lowering around WNC so we have that in our favor for storms.  Today is a toss up in my opinion with the indicies all over the place.  We have cape values reaching +1500 j/kg in some areas but shear around WNC is non existent.  From the article that Mike posted a few days ago, it seems shear plays a much larger part in storms around the area then cape so without shear present, storm growth is less likely.

Thanks man!  And I just recently in the past 2 or 3 days got introduced to Photoshop.  I was using Adobe Lightroom before and have edited all my posted pictures with that but now I will be using Photoshop.  You have a favorite tool or anything you like to use?  I would love some insight.

As far as storms for today, K values look lack luster with only a small area producing +28 K-values.  Low level lapse rates don't look to be in favor of storms, but mid level lapse rates are supportive of storms.  Lifting Condensation Level seems to be lowering around WNC so we have that in our favor for storms.  Today is a toss up in my opinion with the indicies all over the place.  We have cape values reaching +1500 j/kg in some areas but shear around WNC is non existent.  From the article that Mike posted a few days ago, it seems shear plays a much larger part in storms around the area then cape so without shear present, storm growth is less likely.

Looks like the first convection of the day formed near Mt. Guyot and Mt. Pisgah. Yes no wind shear. Just light wind out of the SW all the way up the column. Little pulse storms that won't drift much off the higher terrain today most likely.  

Photoshop is awesome but you have to be careful to not get carried away when editing weather shots and give a totally false impression of what went on.  For instance, here is a shot I took in my front yard on June 13th of last year.  First the original, then my edit for dramatic effect.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Photoshop is awesome but you have to be careful to not get carried away when editing weather shots and give a totally false impression of what went on.  For instance, here is a shot I took in my front yard on June 13th of last year.  First the original, then my edit for dramatic effect.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Very cool Mr. Burns.

Archived