• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring and Summer thread for the Mountains

Met1985

The authors highlighted commonly seen parameters for heavy rain events in the Southern Appalachian regions.  They listed the following:

“K-indices > 30

negative Lifted Indices

surface dewpoints at or above 60 F

850-mb temperatures > 13 C

850-mb dewpoints > 10 C

700-mb temperatures > 5 C

700-mb dewpoints > 2 C

Southerly winds were typically observed in the low levels with uni-directional southwest winds above 850 mb during synoptic and frontal events, while meso-high events typically exhibited weak uni-directional southwest flow between the surface and 500-mb levels prior to the onset of heavy rainfall. CAPE values did not seem to show a direct relationship to the occurrence of heavy rain.”

Wow right on que today... Current conditions in Buncombe Co. per mesoscale analysis.

2ekm69i.jpg

K index is non-existent but 850 mb moisture transport is beginning to fill in.  Soupy conditions to say the least.  I will be interested to see if we get storms tomorrow.  Love all the observing and learning going on in this area.  Thanks Mike.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike very interesting on the wind speed and direction correlating to heavy rainfall. I was wondering about the correlation of snowfall though here in the mountains. I am sure same could be said for if we had a storm coming from the south with south winds but what about typical northern flow snow and the typical northwest flow snows in the winter. I am sure that could be another interesting case study especially with the microclimates we have here in the mountains. It would be very interesting to do a study from Haywood county south because of such high peaks similar to what is being studied know. Thanks for all the info anyway Mike. Very cool and interesting.

Met, unfortunately the focus of the current local research project is on warm weather regimes. 

Still all is not lost-perhaps you would be interesting in attending the Eastern Snow Conference in Boone in June?

http://www.easternsnow.org/meetings/2014/2014_ESC_Preliminary_Program.pdf

Looking at the agenda items:

10:30 – 12:00 Oral Session #2: Snow in the Appalachian Mountains 

10:30 Keighton et al., Ongoing Collaborative Study of Northwest Flow Snowfall (NWFS) in the 
Southern Appalachians 

10:45 Miller et al., The Impact of Latent Heat Fluxes over Soil Surfaces on Snowfall 
Accumulation for Northwest Flow Snow in the Southern Appalachians 

11:00 Roche, The Seeder-Feeder Mechanism and Record Snowfall from Post Tropical 
Cyclone Sandy 

11:15 Keighton et al., Unique Northwest Flow Snow Aspects of Sandy in the Southern 
Appalachians 

11:30 Radford et al., Relationships between Meteorological Factors and Societal Impacts 
Associated with Winter Storms in the Southeast United States 

11:45 Palmer et al., Forecasts and Impacts of Two Significant Winter Storms in North and 
Central Georgia

The key researcher for Northwest Flow Snow is Dr. Baker Perry:

I believe he grew up in Haywood county of all places.  I contacted him previously to see if I could get him to set up shop on my mtn top to study local snowfall patterns.  He seemed interested but right now his focus is Roan Mtn..ground zero for Northwest Flow snowfall. I was hoping to get him to deploy his MObile Precipitation Research And Monitoring (MOPRAM) station.

If you have a few minutes-I suspect you will really enjoy reading a recent paper that came out on this:

"SNOWFALL EVENT CHARACTERISTICS FROM A HIGH-ELEVATION SITE IN THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN MOUNTAINS"

As mentioned in the paper, Roan Mtn picked up 155" of snow in 2012-2013! They are studying that location because it is likely the snowiest spot South of West Virginia.

SPC has a slight risk for parts of WNC today.  High res models (excluding HRRR) fire up a few storms this afternoon but have a nice piece of energy make its way from TN into WNC very late tonight into tomorrow morning.  Looks like we could be in for some spotty hail and gusty winds.  HRRR has been solid in the plains this year though, so its hard to bet against it.

day1otlk_1630.gif

Visible satellite shows quite the cloud cover over WNC.  I was expecting it to be sunny and blazing hot today, but so far the clouds have made it quite bearable.  I wonder effect this might have on whether storms fire up or not this afternoon.  Usually you need the daytime heating to get it started.

09upPAP.gif

Visible satellite shows quite the cloud cover over WNC.  I was expecting it to be sunny and blazing hot today, but so far the clouds have made it quite bearable.  I wonder effect this might have on whether storms fire up or not this afternoon.  Usually you need the daytime heating to get it started.

09upPAP.gif

Little or none as any convection that forms today will be advecting in from TN where CAPE values are really climbing in full sun. FYI..most of those clouds were mountain wave induced cirrus mixed with a little blow-off from earlier decayed convection and missed most of SW NC.

The SPC has backed off on any chances of widespread convection. Now it appears that just a few cells may cross the TN border. Looking at model soundings..if one should hit my mtn top, the wind gusts might get rather out of hand.

How did you capture this?

Thanks guys!  I set my camera shutter speed to bulb, iso to around 350 or 400 (since it was dusk), and then with my remote I held the exposure open for around 10-15 secs.  As soon as the lightning happened, I released and allowed the lightning to be my flash in the photo.  I had been reading about this technique online so I figured I would try my luck!

Thanks guys!  I set my camera shutter speed to bulb, iso to around 350 or 400 (since it was dusk), and then with my remote I held the exposure open for around 10-15 secs.  As soon as the lightning happened, I released and allowed the lightning to be my flash in the photo.  I had been reading about this technique online so I figured I would try my luck!

Thanks and great shot again!

Was it from a building in downtown or on a side of a large hill next to downtown?

Archived