joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring and Summer thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And it duped downtown again.  That was pretty interesting.  Glad we are getting some days like this for the NASA guys to study.

Indeed! Light convection has anchored itself to my mtn top all afternoon! Why? No idea..very pleased. Lots of NASA data to review.

Yeah I noticed that!  it looks like it is re-firing to your mtns sw again now too. 

Counted something like 7 different cells that kept on redeveloping at a point a few miles South of Sylva near a possible Theta E max centered in the middle of the Tuckasegge river valley that drifted NNE flaring up as the air piled up in front of the blocking Plott Balsam range between Waterrock Knob and Mt. Lyn Lowry only to pulse down when it crossed over Maggie Valley. Not clear to me what exactly was causing a point source of convergence there and a few other locations in Western NC..with a more intense one located near Bryson City.

Meantime-here is pic courtesy of NASA/Duke U showing now a total of 4 rain gauges(one with a wind shield), 1 disdrometer, 1 soil moisture probe, 1 electric fence and an anemometer(not shown) that isn't currently hooked up which is unfortunate as 2 gale events are about to strike..one tomorrow morning and one Saturday morning. 

I'm sure there will get some great data as the next storm system moves in dropping potentially flooding rains.

post-9361-0-63117900-1400064498_thumb.jp

Some  impressive rainfall totals being spit out from th  GFS this morning also. Just hammered th  southwest mountains with some  pretty heavy totals around 4 inches.

Yeah has a bullseye of 4.84 inches in Clay Co.  This system will bring the most rainfall to areas that have already gotten an inch or so over the past few days.  I would say the flash flood threat is more prevalent in SW WNC since that is the area that has received the most precip. over the past two days.

Some Disdrometer info from yesterday's storm.

Top of chart shows diameter size vs number of rain drops for base of mtn and also for the top of mtn.

As you can see..the duration of rainfall was much longer at the top of the mtn vs. the bottom and mostly consisted of small droplets.  This implies that most of the small droplets evaporated as they descended an additional 3000 feet to the bottom.

post-9361-0-72512700-1400083900_thumb.jp

looks like some heavy rain is on its way nws is calling for 3-6 inches through tomorrow for me.

NASA's forecasters agree with..looking for a maximum of 5.5" in a 24 hour period.  Every researcher and their mothers will be out tomorrow studying this event.  Lots of balloon launches and high altitude aircraft fly overs scheduled as well. Looks like they are really going to luck out having a rain event of this magnitude happening during the short research window.

NASA's forecasters agree with..looking for a maximum of 5.5" in a 24 hour period.  Every researcher and their mothers will be out tomorrow studying this event.  Lots of balloon launches and high altitude aircraft fly overs scheduled as well. Looks like they are really going to luck out having a rain event of this magnitude happening during the short research window.

Interesting about their maximum QPF.  Any insight into where they think the bullseye will be?  Or are they agreeing with NAM that it will basically be far southwest mountains?

Skies finally beginning to darken over downtown.  Watching this line fire to the north has been very interesting as it back builds towards downtown.  Finally a tad bit of shear showing up on mesoanalysis over Buncombe Co.  Could be aiding.

AGIF_88D_Reflectivity.gif

Do you have a link to this radar imagery?  Where does it come from?

Here ya go! http://wdssii.nssl.noaa.gov/web/wdss2/products/radar/NOXP.shtml

It is the radar that the NASA guys have put out for viewing in WNC while they are conducting their research.  Its pretty cool to have a radar with little to no blockage.

Thanks very much.  I remember now that NASA is in town and I think that's great.  Any idea what mountain the radar sits on?

Based on their historical archive of radar images from the past few days, it looks like the radar ends at the Buncombe/Haywood county line, with no data east of that.  Really?

Interesting about their maximum QPF.  Any insight into where they think the bullseye will be?  Or are they agreeing with NAM that it will basically be far southwest mountains?

Not sure. They put together a 81 page power point presentation about it but just included tons of model information, SAT/Aircraft overfly info etc but didn't specifically give an actual forecast other than a general statement that up to 5.5" of rain will fall in the domain of interest and for researchers to watch out for flash flooding tomorrow when they are driving around.  (It also mentioned modeled PW values may end up in the 99th percentile range for tomorrow's date.)  I'm sure it would have been discussed in the daily morning forecast conference call but didn't listen in.

Almost for sure-they are talking about the South wind favored areas of the escarpment with a secondary max in the Balsam range.

Thanks very much.  I remember now that NASA is in town and I think that's great.  Any idea what mountain the radar sits on?

Based on their historical archive of radar images from the past few days, it looks like the radar ends at the Buncombe/Haywood county line, with no data east of that.  Really?

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/43397-spring-and-summer-thread-for-the-mountains/?p=2945485

Impressive moisture feed right off the gulf coast. Looks like some severe storms are starting to pop also to the West of us into TN.

Should see some impressive amounts from North Western Florida up through the spine of the Appalachian Mountains.  After were done with this system, the long-range models are dumping a lot of rain in the drought stricken areas of Texas.  

Should see some impressive amounts from North Western Florida up through the spine of the Appalachian Mountains.  After were done with this system, the long-range models are dumping a lot of rain in the drought stricken areas of Texas.  

Ya The panhandle of Florida and Northern Florida have got hammered recently. I would say yall really do not need anymore rainfall right know.  We have really not had a lot of rainfall up here recently beside some localized heavy storms recently but with the amount of rainfall being shown then this could get tricky fast. Also would be very beneficial for Texas if that trough out there were to help with drought conditions that way.

Another thing I am noticing is how the wind is really ripping out there. Probably a stiff 15 to 20 mph breeze with some stiff gusts. Mike you having any reading on top of the mountain about this wind?

No..anemometer is not hooked up. However expecting sustained winds of at least 40 mph later tonight straight from the South..exposed side of ridge. I note the NWS. talking about snow chances in a couple days for the high peaks!

No..anemometer is not hooked up. However expecting sustained winds of at least 40 mph later tonight straight from the South..exposed side of ridge. I note the NWS. talking about snow chances in a couple days for the high peaks!

Would not surprise me one bit with the cold air that is coming in with this thing. May have to make a trip up to some of the favored areas around here if things work out.

Would not surprise me one bit with the cold air that is coming in with this thing. May have to make a trip up to some of the favored areas around here if things work out.

Yeah I may be making my way up to Mt. Mitchell or somewhere off of the parkway to catch a few May token flakes Sunday morning.  I will video it if I do make the trip and the flakes are flying.  Don't know if Sunday is the best day to see snow flurries but I have to work all day Monday so I won't be able to chase then, but we shall see.

Archived