• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring and Summer thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Here is today's image taken of a vertically oriented Micro Rain Radar (MRR) located in the Maggie Valley I think adjacent to Joey's Pancake House directly below my mtn top.

Looks like there was some light rain showers falling there yesterday evening.

post-9361-0-80597700-1398964350_thumb.gi

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This beautiful beast has arrived in the Haywood county vicinity. (stock image from NSSL) After a minor problem is corrected in the next day or so..it will be moved up top to mtn near Canton and turned on.

The radar images will be stunning in their detail...showing the first ever unobstructed radar view of the central mtns of Western NC.  Of course-don't get use to them..sadly they will only be available for a couple of months.

post-9361-0-71600100-1399050833_thumb.jp

This beautiful beast has arrived in the Haywood county vicinity. (stock image from NSSL) After a minor problem is corrected in the next day or so..it will be moved up top to mtn near Canton and turned on.

The radar images will be stunning in their detail...showing the first ever unobstructed radar view of the central mtns of Western NC.  Of course-don't get use to them..sadly they will only be available for a couple of months.

Mike great stuff! This will greatly help in showing radar returns here in the mountains especially the high terrain in Haywood and Jackson counties and surrounding areas. Keep us up to date Mike! Also very chilly morning with a low of 36 degrees.

The mobile X-Band weather radar that has been placed on top of a mtn near Canton has been turned on and data is now available live!!!!!!!

You definately want to bookmark this:

http://wdssii.nssl.noaa.gov/web/wdss2/products/radar/NOXP.shtml

I can't tell you how pleased I am to see this :)

Of course there is no weather currently to see but that should change at some point in the next 7 days.

The location of radar gives 100% unbeamblocked radar coverage of my mtn top. Orthographic effects that could before only be guessed at will finally be well documented. (As Met alluded to-too bad they didn't have it going during the Winter as low-topped NW flow convection would have been completely exposed in all its glory.)

An exciting couple of months ahead to be sure!!!!

post-9361-0-20778900-1399197013_thumb.pn

The mobile X-Band weather radar that has been placed on top of a mtn near Canton has been turned on and data is now available live!!!!!!!

You definately want to bookmark this:

http://wdssii.nssl.noaa.gov/web/wdss2/products/radar/NOXP.shtml

I can't tell you how pleased I am to see this :)

Of course there is no weather currently to see but that should change at some point in the next 7 days.

The location of radar gives 100% unbeamblocked radar coverage of my mtn top. Orthographic effects that could before only be guessed at will finally be well documented. (As Met alluded to-too bad they didn't have it going during the Winter as low-topped NW flow convection would have been completely exposed in all its glory.)

An exciting couple of months ahead to be sure!!!!

Very cool Mike. Will bookmark an  keep an eye  on this for the following months. Really happy to see this in Haywood county.

Nice news story/video about the NASA open house that happened over the weekend at one of the new radar sites in Rutherford County,

http://www.wspa.com/story/25422444/nasa-scientists-explain-how-their-research-helps-community

Still waiting for it to actually rain within the domain of all the new radar sites!  Not hopeful about today. Looked at the various models..all suggest capping should preclude convection today except possibly for the Northern Mtns where CIN may erode by 21Z in a small area briefly.

post-9361-0-70408600-1399287722_thumb.jp

Here is the exact location of the NOXP radar near Canton.

You may notice that the radar was not placed at the very top of mtn so that areas to the NE of it are beam block unfortunately.  I have highlighted the area based on radar data on what locations are beam blocked.

post-9361-0-45624800-1399296257_thumb.jp

post-9361-0-61965200-1399296279_thumb.jp

A 15Z balloon launch is available today from Asheville.

Examining the soundings..does show a cap in place(actually 2 small caps). Not exactly a thermonuclear cap but probably not breakable by simple heating from the ground.  The sounding is still quite dry with almost no directional shear and a minimal speed shear.  Neat to see some super adiabatic lapse rates near the surface with today's hot sun. The latests HRRR shows much more CIN this go around so probably near 0% chance of any mtn convection today.

post-9361-0-70892100-1399308547_thumb.jp

One interesting thing we are getting today is a mountain wave induced standing wave of cirrus clouds just East of the mtns.  If you look at the previously posted sounding to soundings typical of this type of event-there is a match.

Basically unidirectional upper levels winds out of the NW in excess of 30 knots with an inversion around 750mb and sufficient moisture in the mid levels.

See attached.

Also attached SAT pic. If you put it in motion..it is standing..staying in place..sure sign that it was created via a mountain wave. Very cool despite what appears to be an otherwise boring weather day! :)

post-9361-0-39097600-1399310211_thumb.jp

post-9361-0-86315000-1399310220_thumb.jp

Well...for you guys in the far western mountains, today is the first day that the research doppler can be of any use. You have to go all the way up to 1.8 deg tilt on the scan before clearly picking up the convection over far Southwestern NC..I curious as to why it's not picking up over in the corner of the state at the 0.5 tilt range...any thoughts on this?

Also as noted when installed, everything north and east of the mobile site is being shielded...

0.5 reflectivity

1.8. reflectivity

Round two today for showers and thunderstorms.  I think we have a better chance for convection today based off what I am seeing on the short range hi res models.  If we can get the sun beaming for a few hours this am, the atmosphere will be prime for a few T-storms.

Round two today for showers and thunderstorms.  I think we have a better chance for convection today based off what I am seeing on the short range hi res models.  If we can get the sun beaming for a few hours this am, the atmosphere will be prime for a few T-storms.

I agree man. It feels juicy out there. Lots of moisture in the air and temps not to bad right at 60 degrees. Would like to see some big boomers develop. Also wow both the Euro and the GFS are going off with this low forming in the East and dragging some pretty cold air down into our area next week. Temps would be some 20 to 30 degree below average. That would be very impressive after what we are seeing know.

I agree man. It feels juicy out there. Lots of moisture in the air and temps not to bad right at 60 degrees. Would like to see some big boomers develop. Also wow both the Euro and the GFS are going off with this low forming in the East and dragging some pretty cold air down into our area next week. Temps would be some 20 to 30 degree below average. That would be very impressive after what we are seeing know.

Yeah that will be very nice!  I am not a fan of the muggy weather without a thunderstorm overhead.  It would not hurt my feelings if we never got above 90 degrees this summer.

Euro going bonkers with the cutoff low. Even brings the 0 degree 850 temps down our way around hour 144. Not sure if I believe that but either way impressive cold air showing up.

May have to head up to Mt. Mitchell for a snow flurry fix. It's only May and I am ready for winter again.

May have to head up to Mt. Mitchell for a snow flurry fix. It's only May and I am ready for winter again.

Lol I know been way to warm for me already also.

Nice cold shot coming up

Yep Euro still beating the drum of an impressive cutoff and sending some mighty chilly air our way. Going to feel great once it gets here.

Well...for you guys in the far western mountains, today is the first day that the research doppler can be of any use. You have to go all the way up to 1.8 deg tilt on the scan before clearly picking up the convection over far Southwestern NC..I curious as to why it's not picking up over in the corner of the state at the 0.5 tilt range...any thoughts on this?

Also as noted when installed, everything north and east of the mobile site is being shielded...

0.5 reflectivity

attachicon.gif0.5 scan.png

1.8. reflectivity

attachicon.gif1.8 scan.png

Marion WX, due to the Balsam Range..the very lowest tilts are being blocked towards the SW. (Yes-to the NE there is 100% beam blockage at all tilts.)  The are using 14 different tilts over a 5 minute period to come up with a very nice volume scan.  The beam just clears my mtn top at 150 meters above the ridge line. There is a cool graphic that very clearly depicts all this but isn't publically available. Shows that they carefully took terrain in account to get the best coverage possible. Overall, the X-band radar covers virtually all the rain gauge/weather instrument locations that are in Haywood county which was what the scientists wanted.

Right now-there is so much data coming in from so many different directions it is rather overwhelming. Unfortunately, I don't have the time it deserves to spend hours going over it to make sense of it. Weather data overload..I love it! :)

Archived