* PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...
A COUPLE TORNADOES POSSIBLE
SCATTERED LARGE HAIL EVENTS TO 1.5 INCHES IN DIAMETER POSSIBLE
ISOLATED DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH POSSIBLE

THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 75 STATUTE
MILES EAST AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 30 MILES NORTHEAST OF WHITE
SULPHUR SPRINGS WEST VIRGINIA TO 25 MILES SOUTHWEST OF HOT
SPRINGS NORTH CAROLINA. FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH
SEE THE ASSOCIATED WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU2).

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

REMEMBER...A TORNADO WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR
TORNADOES AND SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH
AREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR
THREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS
AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS.

&&

OTHER WATCH INFORMATION...CONTINUE...WW 218...WW 219...WW
...WW 221...

DISCUSSION...CLUSTERS OF SEMI-DISCRETE STORMS/SUPERCELLS EXPECTED TO
PERSIST ALONG THE W SLOPES OF THE SRN APPALACHIANS THROUGH LATE
EVE...WITH ADDITIONAL STORMS POSSIBLY MOVING/DEVELOPING EWD INTO WRN
AND SW VA AS MID-LVL SPEED MAX AND ASSOCIATED UVV FIELD OVERSPREAD
MOIST/CONFLUENT LOW--LVL FLOW.

AVIATION...TORNADOES AND A FEW SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH HAIL
SURFACE AND ALOFT TO 1.5 INCHES. EXTREME TURBULENCE AND SURFACE
WIND GUSTS TO 60 KNOTS. A FEW CUMULONIMBI WITH MAXIMUM TOPS TO
500. MEAN STORM MOTION VECTOR 30030.

ww0222_radar_big.gif

ww0222_overview_big_wou.gif

Got to be honest, never expected a Tornado Watch to be issued for us tonight...I hope the activity in Eastern Kentucky is getting its act together.

You guys  do need to watch these discrete cells currently in the Smokies, the ones that came through High Country earlier this evening had some pretty decent rotation for a while. If nothing else, good for collecting data.

Ick! As is normally the case..the mtns of Western NC are sort of the graveyard for MCS's for those that make it that far South.

One small storm did manage to trek along the Balsam's and impact the mtn top in the middle of the night dropping about a quarter inch of rain. (Note how poorly the NWS Greenville radar site depicted the storm vs the NO-XP radar near Canton. ) Hopefully, today is better although it wouldn't surprise me that the best convection ends up reforming just to the South/East of the central mtns.

post-9361-0-32299300-1401962192_thumb.pn

Marion,

I'm in your neck of the woods for the member guest at the local course this weekend... can you perhaps give me a rundown on what the models are showing? Thanks!

The models are showing a pretty typical early June look with temps in the mid/upper 80's...Storms do like to form or migrate to the northern side of the lake and tend to roll away from Marion Lake Club but that's close enough to where lightning can be an issue...I would say chances of that happening are 50/50 though (at best).

Have fun playing at the Member/Guest tourney.  If this is your first trip to MLC, I hope you enjoy, some of the views on the back nine (which is closer to the lake) are awesome!

New time lapse I just finished up.

Nice! I am going to have do that. I figured out how to on my smart phone..will use an App and also get a cheap stand to keep it steady-lets see what I can come up for the mtn top!

Meantime,  something similar..daily webcam images(taken around 3PM) looking North towards the Mtn top. (Mt. Lyn Lowry is the peak on the left...Maggie Valley is just behind ridge.)

Goes from April 15 to the current time.  It is rather amazing how similar many of the days look. Enjoy!

post-9361-0-96464900-1402337600_thumb.jp

post-9361-0-77562700-1402337609_thumb.jp

post-9361-0-50721400-1402337624_thumb.jp

12 Z Asheville sounding shows a pesky inversion that is capping conversion currently. Lots of clouds since that time aren't helping matters.

A special sounding has just gone up for 15Z as well-will be interesting to see the changes.

Lots of speed shear in the column today and dry air aloft suggests some potential for severe.

post-9361-0-04195600-1402414923_thumb.jp

Nice! I am going to have do that. I figured out how to on my smart phone..will use an App and also get a cheap stand to keep it steady-lets see what I can come up for the mtn top!

Meantime,  something similar..daily webcam images(taken around 3PM) looking North towards the Mtn top. (Mt. Lyn Lowry is the peak on the left...Maggie Valley is just behind ridge.)

Goes from April 15 to the current time.  It is rather amazing how similar many of the days look. Enjoy!

Cool Mike thanks for sharing!  And yes a steady stand is the key!

Cool Mike thanks for sharing!  And yes a steady stand is the key!

Looking at the special 15z Asheville Sounding..still 2 or 3 small inversions in the column so safe bet no convection today..except when perhaps late today when a more favorable airmass advects in.

post-9361-0-39551500-1402422342_thumb.pn

Looking at the special 15z Asheville Sounding..still 2 or 3 small inversions in the column so safe bet no convection today..except when perhaps late today when a more favorable airmass advects in.

Was going to ask what you thought about later today until I read further down. There are some nice storm clouds overhead currently but as you mentioned it appears they are reaching the cap and not producing precip. I really hope something fires tonight around downtown because we neeeedd the rain! It has been at least 2 weeks since we had a decent shower and I talked to a guy in Woodfin that says it hasn't rained at his house in a month. Needless to say it is pretty dry around here as every storm does the Spivey Mtn Split!

Was going to ask what you thought about later today until I read further down. There are some nice storm clouds overhead currently but as you mentioned it appears they are reaching the cap and not producing precip. I really hope something fires tonight around downtown because we neeeedd the rain! It has been at least 2 weeks since we had a decent shower and I talked to a guy in Woodfin that says it hasn't rained at his house in a month. Needless to say it is pretty dry around here as every storm does the Spivey Mtn Split!

The mtn top has managed to pick up about 7" of rain in the last 30 days..some of the Escarpment areas have done better than that but certainly some of the normally drier areas in and near the Broad River Valley have done poorly.

Almost for sure-the upstream convection will make it into the mtns tonight but once again-the storms will be in the process of decay so areas NE of the Balsams may have slim pickings including the Woodfin area.

Upstream lightning looks impressive!

Wow that is the best I have seen the lightning map look since you posted that link!  Crazy.  Really considering trying out my new lightning trigger that I got for my camera tonight.  Lets hope it holds together.  Thanks for the analysis! 

This morning sounding..very moist..no cap at all.(well maybe a couple small ones or perhaps simply noise in the data.) Clouds will probably allow for little heating/instability so assume nothing more than showers with a few garden variety storms today.

post-9361-0-34499600-1402494711_thumb.pn

Archived