joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring and Summer thread for the Mountains

Met1985

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could be looking at an anomalous pattern taking shape in the next 10 days with a big ridge out West and a deep trough for this time of the year in the East.

So we are looking at some NWF snow showers for the mtns :snowing:

Thanks to everyone sharing the photos; a pleasure to look at.

We could be looking at an anomalous pattern taking shape in the next 10 days with a big ridge out West and a deep trough for this time of the year in the East.

Yeah Met PNA takes a slight negative dip over the next couple of days then goes back positive thru the 18th and is very strong on the 14th and 15th. 

So we are looking at some NWF snow showers for the mtns :snowing:

Thanks to everyone sharing the photos; a pleasure to look at.

Lol I wish but if this evolves this will be some very nice temps for mid July.

Yeah Met PNA takes a slight negative dip over the next couple of days then goes back positive thru the 18th and is very strong on the 14th and 15th. 

Ya and we have a recurving typhoon which will help push a trough down in the East.

Only one more month before I'm back in town. I'm ready for cooler weather after getting cooked today, lol.

Yes I am looking forward to the nice cooler weather coming in the next few months.

Great shot man. That was an impressive storm that rolled in from TN.

Thanks man, yeah they were very intense and gave some area's that were pretty dry a much needed rainfall. Things should remain interesting too going into the weekend. Fun times to live in the mountains!

Big trough incoming to keep things cool and humidity low!

Was 37 degrees in Northern Michigan this morning..next week I expect there should be some frost!  Although the core of the incoming Polar Vortex will stay North-even a glancing blow will make it feel rather pleasant in the mountains.

Some year to date statistics:

On the Mtn top at 6130 feet elevation;

Yearly High  75 degrees

Yearly Low -17 degrees

Rainfall  Approx 33"

Snowfall Approx 4 Feet.

Rainfall last year to date was more than double that total.

Snowfall was well below a seasonal average of about 85".

Was 37 degrees in Northern Michigan this morning..next week I expect there should be some frost!  Although the core of the incoming Polar Vortex will stay North-even a glancing blow will make it feel rather pleasant in the mountains.

Wow Mike, awesome to see you already getting cold up there!  Now only 3 more months for us ha.  But with this type pattern it would surprise me to see an early fall.

The latest Euro run has really driven the cold air a bit further south which would give us a rare cool down for mid July. Will have to watch very closely as this closes in. This is a very amplified pattern coming up.

Yeah very nice trough being show in the 500mb charts.  That will be very refreshing for the area! Accompany that with unstable heights in the atmosphere to induce convection, and you have yourself potentially the most interesting weather week of the summer so far.  Should be fun!

6 Day Euro 500mb Chart

ecmwf_500p_6d.gif

Wow Mike, awesome to see you already getting cold up there!  Now only 3 more months for us ha.  But with this type pattern it would surprise me to see an early fall.

Yeah very nice trough being show in the 500mb charts.  That will be very refreshing for the area! Accompany that with unstable heights in the atmosphere to induce convection, and you have yourself potentially the most interesting weather week of the summer so far.  Should be fun!

6 Day Euro 500mb Chart

ecmwf_500p_6d.gif

I agree. Depending on stability or lack of I was thinking we could actually have some NW flow rain showers. Not sure if I have ever seen that in July though.

Hey strangers, sorry I haven't been around much lately. Life has been a whirlwind the past couple months. Just wanted to let let you all know that I will be following a dream & moving back to the beach (Panhandle FL) at the end of the month. I will be in a town called Navarre. It's in between Pensacola-Fort Walton Bch, Destin. For those of you who know Skip (Beanskip) I will be really close to him. I love the Mnts. & will miss the snows dearly but, I have the ocean in my blood. So until I reach the Zen like state of Joe. I am going to try the beach thing again. You guys will have to put up with me living vicariously thru you for the coming snow storms. I hope for all of you it's a banner fall & winter. Good luck & bless you all!, Don.

Hey strangers, sorry I haven't been around much lately. Life has been a whirlwind the past couple months. Just wanted to let let you all know that I will be following a dream & moving back to the beach (Panhandle FL) at the end of the month. I will be in a town called Navarre. It's in between Pensacola-Fort Walton Bch, Destin. For those of you who know Skip (Beanskip) I will be really close to him. I love the Mnts. & will miss the snows dearly but, I have the ocean in my blood. So until I reach the Zen like state of Joe. I am going to try the beach thing again. You guys will have to put up with me living vicariously thru you for the coming snow storms. I hope for all of you it's a banner fall & winter. Good luck & bless you all!, Don.

Wow beautiful place down that way. The family and I are looking at going on a trip down there next spring maybe. Well good luck and congratulations on this new adventure for your family. I am very saddened though we will lose you in the mountain thread living pretty much just next door to you. Maybe we can meet before you leave from up here. I am in Asheville quite a bit. Anyway the most sincere wishes to you and your family Don! It has been a treat having you around here in the mountains!

Best wishes NavarreDon.

Don't be a stranger Don :hug:  When you run into beanskip, tell him we said hi!   ^_^

I'll miss your photos and updates from Weaverville, Don.  I could live vicariously through your snow photos, but no more.  Beach photos just aren't the same!  :)

Enjoy the sun, good sir!  :sizzle:

Don-interesting coincidence-I almost bought a property in Navarre just before I bought my property in NC!  

This place:  http://www.visualtour.com/shownp.asp?sk=13&t=2075310  (It was on East Bay where a small river emptied into the Bay surrounded by a wildlife refugee.)

Navarre is amazing-I'm sure you will love it there.

In case you don't know-there is an extreme lightning zone just North of Navarre along Route 87. It appears to be caused the collision of the East Bay Breeze and the sea breeze. Flash density is something like 6X compared to the Asheville area!!! Typically, as you sit at the beach of Navarre-there will be blazing sunshine but as you look North-it will be dark as night with bolts going off in all directions.  

Here is a few pics from my last trip there.  Crazy storms dumped many inches of rain just away from the coast while there.

Good luck and please post pics of any good storms there on this thread when the weather is slow/boring in the mountains!

post-9361-0-19273700-1405073914_thumb.jp

post-9361-0-67944800-1405073926_thumb.jp

post-9361-0-74454900-1405073939_thumb.jp

post-9361-0-24511200-1405073954_thumb.jp

Thanks for all the well wishes!.....Hmmm NavarreDon. I might have to run with that. Mike it's a small world. I am very familiar with the area as I have vacationed there since 99. I lived in Ft Walton from 93-99 before moving to Asheville. Really amazing area down there. Agree about the storms down there. I will continue to post & maybe bring you guys some tropical weather fun. As I said above it's really tough to leave the Mnts. & I'm sure i will question myself when a big snow is ripping thru but, sometimes you just gotta follow your heart. Someone let Skip know I am coming down so we can meet. 85 keep up the good work. I will pm you if I have time to meet but things are rather hectic right now as you can imagine. Will start posting again when I get settled. Take Care Guys!

Archived