• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring and Summer thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Got a nice shower last night, that was refreshing!  Hoping for more today!  The other night when we had the stronger storms come in I was out time-lapsing the event and caught a nice lowering/possible funnel cloud right behind the Asheville skyline.  I though it was pretty cool as a weather geek so I figured I would share!

10dxojd.jpg

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a nice shower last night, that was refreshing!  Hoping for more today!  The other night when we had the stronger storms come in I was out time-lapsing the event and caught a nice lowering/possible funnel cloud right behind the Asheville skyline.  I though it was pretty cool as a weather geek so I figured I would share!

10dxojd.jpg

This is what the storms are looking like from 70,000 feet above! NASA had incredible day yesterday collecting data. More research flights on tap for today with convection already starting. (Photo credit: Stu Broce, ER-2 pilot).

post-9361-0-30694000-1402589387_thumb.jp

This is what the storms are looking like from 70,000 feet above! NASA had incredible day yesterday collecting data. More research flights on tap for today with convection already starting. (Photo credit: Stu Broce, ER-2 pilot).

Awesome view!  Today should be another fun/interesting day.

Nice.  I just made it one of my backgrounds.  Thanks.  :)

Ya I will post m pics tomorrow. Had some very good rain today. It virtually rained all day and evening picking up about .60 inches of rainfall.

Plott Balsams absolutely nailed again yesterday. It appeared from the NO-XP radar that there was even some brief mini-supercell structures. One appeared to be centered over Waterrock Knob slowly spinning away then fell apart as it drifted along the ridge towards my place. Another one was located SW of Sylva. I am not sure "mini" is the proper way to describe them..perhaps "micro" supercells! :)  Normal radar would not have been able to detect enough detail to see the minor rotation.  (Note: From flight log,.."In the NOXP domain, small weak velocity couplets were observed.  In addition, preferential decay of reflectivity appeared to mirror high peaks and/or ridgelines." This seems to confirm that rotation that I noticed yesterday.)

As you can see from the disdrometer output-it was an active 24 hours. Once again NASA was all over it doing "racetrack" flight patterns with 2 aircraft(one high one low) all around Haywood county.

post-9361-0-51775000-1402654432_thumb.jp

Plott Balsams absolutely nailed again yesterday. It appeared from the NO-XP radar that there was even some brief mini-supercell structures. One appeared to be centered over Waterrock Knob slowly spinning away then fell apart as it drifted along the ridge towards my place. Another one was located SW of Sylva. I am not sure "mini" is the proper way to describe them..perhaps "micro" supercells:)  Normal radar would not have been able to detect enough detail to see the minor rotation. 

As you can see from the disdrometer output-it was an active 24 hours. Once again NASA was all over it doing "racetrack" flight patterns with 2 aircraft(one high one low) all around Haywood county.

A couple from my time-lapse yesterday.

208y7g9.jpg

s61un7.jpg

28krak8.jpg

More storms and rain this afternoon. Just woke up and we are getting a good thunderstorm. Very cool info Mike. The little supercells that develop in the mountains can become very intense.

Mtn hit again this afternoon with a neat little ridge induced storm.....turning into a Monsoon with almost daily showers...storms.

We got hammered by that storm this evening. We picked up .50 inches of rain.

Met, that storm was a right mover and rotating per NO-XP radar. In fact, it was the very last storm sampled by the radar before it was turned off for good ending the intensive phase of the research program. It was fun while it lasted! Sigh...

Met, that storm was a right mover and rotating per NO-XP radar. In fact, it was the very last storm sampled by the radar before it was turned off for good ending the intensive phase of the research program. It was fun while it lasted! Sigh...

Man cannot believe this is it. Maybe they put a permanent radar around here one day. Hopefully they got some great info and wow on that storm.

Nice guys.. good sized hail!  I didn't see a drop downtown lol.  For today, currently K values are 34 around WNC which is a tad low but those will rise i suspect as daytime heating kicks in.  Also mid level lapse rates look to be somewhat supportive of storm growth so I bet some will get storms today around wnc.  I wouldn't expect it downtown though because everything dries up as soon as it hits the french broad.

Archived