Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & Fringes - Autumn dawns

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quoted from the ENSO Mega Thread in Weather Forecasting & Discussion.  If we can squeak out a weak El Nino for the winter (maybe a high end weak/low en moderate?) I would feel excited heading into Winter 2014-2015.

This 3.4 increase was very well predicted by the Euro weeklies a couple of weeks ago. Also, this is not surprising considering that the SOI continues within its second longest negative streak of the year by far. I think we will add at least a 24th -SOI day in a row tomorrow. The longest streak of 2014 is 25 days. We'll have a shot to tie or maybe even break that 25 day streak. Regardless, it appears we may finally have some +SOI's within a few days.

http://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/seasonalclimateoutlook/southernoscillationindex/soidatafiles/DailySOI1887-1989Base.txt

Edit: By the way, a 25-26 day -SOI streak during the last half of the year is not at all chickenfeed and therefore, is an indicator that El Nino (weak to possibly moderate peak) is favored for the upcoming fall/winter per that link that goes back to 1991. This is the kind of thing that makes following the SOI a valuable tool for predicting what's ahead for Nino 3.4 SST's.

Edit #2: The just released Euro weeklies have Nino 3.4 remaining fairly steady over the next four weeks while it weakens 1+2 quite a bit. These two things, along with the current long -SOI streak, tell me that a west based weak Nino's chance continues to increase. If moderate were to have a higher chance than weak, I would have expected a bit more warming to be showing up on the weeklies. I'm now thinking that a weak Nino is most favored followed by a low end moderate and then followed by neutral positive.

These same weeklies have the +PDO continuing although weakening somewhat during this period. I've already predicted a +PDO averaged this DJF (~80% chance based on current +PDO as well as historical stats). Getting a -NAO averaged over DJF may be the key as to whether or not we get an overall very cold eastern US winter.

Interesting short term outlook from CTP for the area. Surprised, but it is indeed rather sultry out there right now with a temp of 87 in my backyard currently....

Now
Scattered thunderstorms will develop this afternoon. Brief heavy downpours and gusty winds are likely with these storms. It will remain hot and muggy with heat indexes nearing 100 degrees.

FYI, from the Mid Atlantic thread.  Helpful to remember for winter.

This is a work in progress..feel free to add and I will edit..times are approximate...if you have sources that are much faster, let us know..no model should be excluded other than tropical..part of being a model addict is looking at every single model run possible...

0z CMC ENS - 12:20am

0z Euro - 12:45am

3z SREF - 2:15am

0z Euro ENS - 2:40am

6z NAM - 2:45am

6z GFS - 4:20am

6z GEFS - 5:40am

6z RGEM - 3:15am

9z SREF - 8:15am

12z NAM - 8:45am

12z RGEM - 9:15am

12z GFS - 10:20am

12z CMC - 11:15am

12 UKMET - 11:40am

12 GEFS - 11:40am

12 CMC ENS - 12:20pm

12z Euro - 12:45pm

15z SREF - 2:15pm

12z Euro ENS - 2:40pm

18z NAM - 2:45pm

18z RGEM - 3:15pm

18z GFS - 4:20pm

18z GEFS - 5:40pm

21z SREF - 8:15pm

0z NAM - 8:45pm

0z RGEM - 9:15pm

0z GFS - 10:20pm

0z CMC- 11:15pm

0z UKMET - 11:40pm

0z GEFS - 11:40pm

HRRR - every hour

RAP - every hour

Hi Res NAM - 10 minutes after NAM

JMA??

Navgem?

NAEFS?

Don't look now, but ENSO region 3.4 is starting to warm.  If we can squeak out a weak El Nino with decent blocking this could be a solid winter.  I know statistically, a big winter in the snow department is unlikely and I am fine with that.  Climo would be good enough for me.

I think a weak El Nino (ONI somewhere between 0.5-1.0) is looking fairly likely. Obviously it always helps to have favorable blocking.

Below are the snowfall accumulations at State College for the years where the NDJ ONI value was between 0.5 and 1.0 deg C (as well as 2013-2014 for comparison in dark green). The smoothed maroon curve is the average snowfall accumulation. As you can see, most of these winters were less snowy than average with two large positive outliers ('77-79 and '69-70).

There's no good way of knowing whether this is a symptom of the small sample size or a legitimate bimodal distribution of snowfall, where some other factor occasionally comes into play to produce substantial yearly totals.

post-869-0-25201500-1410959118_thumb.png

Archived