joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & Fringes - Autumn dawns

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

53 for a low in New Salem this AM.  Actually contemplated a light jacket for a few moments when I first walked out the door.

48° in Bellefonte with two more sub-50 nights incoming.  Peppers and tomatoes hating it.  I have pepper plants that I started from seed in late March that are still only 6" tall...ridiculous.

48° in Bellefonte with two more sub-50 nights incoming.  Peppers and tomatoes hating it.  I have pepper plants that I started from seed in late March that are still only 6" tall...ridiculous.

This has been the worst year for tomatoes in our garden since 2009.  We've only had about 1/4 the production.

I've LOVED this summer. No heat, cool mornings. I know it's not good for you real gardeners and that does suck, but it's great for our lettuce and tomatoes and peppers.

This has been the worst year for tomatoes in our garden since 2009.  We've only had about 1/4 the production.

Our Roma's have exploded. I'm still waiting on the Cherokee that jaime suggested to start producing. And the flavor of what tomatos we have got is fantastic.

48 this morning.  Tomatoes are not liking this at all, if this keeps up by mid September our plants will be at an end.

Our Roma's have exploded. I'm still waiting on the Cherokee that jaime suggested to start producing. And the flavor of what tomatos we have got is fantastic.

We just started to get our Cherokee Purple's last week, they like warmer weather so if they don't produce this year, you might want to give them a second chance.

I was curious about how many sub-50° lows we've had in Bellefonte so far this summer, as they seem to be occurring on a weekly basis, so I looked back over the data from the nearest PWS that has reliable temperature data that reflects what I've seen in town.

So far this summer:

June: 4 mornings...coldest 44° 6/15

July: 4 mornings...coldest 43° 7/25

August: 4 mornings...coldest 42° 8/16

May also featured lows in the 40s on the 25th, 26th, and 31st.

I think down in town there may have actually been another one or two mornings where we briefly dipped to 48-49°.

My garden is basically shot.  We dipped to 49 degrees Saturday and Sunday morning and the tomatoes are just about to rage quit on us.

The rain has been killing us here...lost all my cherokee purples to blight.

1.52" yesterday and around an inch so far today.  One of the wettest JJA periods on record in State College.

Well it's been a pretty quiet summer and I've been rather busy.. but I have some excitement to post about. Pretty much got handed a storm chase on a silver platter Thursday afternoon when i was in the Punxsutawney area and this developed.

post-1507-0-12598500-1408906929_thumb.pn

I shot up the road 5 miles to Big Run to intercept the storm and got some great videos of a wall cloud with some rotation. NWS Pittsburgh ended up verifying an EF-0 further northwest in the central part of the county (right around the hook echo portion of the above radar capture). Overall it was a fairly weak spinup and not very prominent on the velocity imagery, but still some crazy stuff. 

Radar at time of the video with an arrow indicating the direction I was filming.

post-1507-0-79797300-1408907120_thumb.pn

Well it's been a pretty quiet summer and I've been rather busy.. but I have some excitement to post about. Pretty much got handed a storm chase on a silver platter Thursday afternoon when i was in the Punxsutawney area and this developed.

I shot up the road 5 miles to Big Run to intercept the storm and got some great videos of a wall cloud with some rotation. NWS Pittsburgh ended up verifying an EF-0 further northwest in the central part of the county (right around the hook echo portion of the above radar capture). Overall it was a fairly weak spinup and not very prominent on the velocity imagery, but still some crazy stuff.

Nice video.

The darkness for that time of day was also very impressive.

P.S.: Good reporting skills, allowing the event to speak for itself.

Sometimes people talk too much in these types of videos.

Archived