• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
6z GFS

Ji

Good point. What tends to happen is the public gets a hold of these products a week out and expect 20" of snow then the event comes and they get 3". They didn't look into the facts or follow the forecast then they turn around and complain that we can't forecast out way out of a paper bag or that we get paid alot of money to be wrong all the time. I hate to even tell people what I do for a living unless they are involved with the emergency management community, a fellow fed or a media person or aviation customer. Part of it is laziness. I have friends and family sprawled throughout the NYC metro area that I have told for 15 years where to go for information yet when something could happen they all start texting and contacting on social media that these maps are flying around and they want my opinion.

Yep! It's a great relationship isn't it? They hear, and feed off of, things they want to hear for whatever reason (mostly fun hype) and then when things aren't so "exciting," they point the finger aaaaat...mets!

I've said it before and I'll say it again here: weather hype is merely entertainment for the public when a sport event is over. :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep! It's a great relationship isn't it? They hear, and feed off of, things they want to hear for whatever reason (mostly fun hype) and then when things aren't so "exciting," they point the finger aaaaat...mets!

I've said it before and I'll say it again here: weather hype is merely entertainment for the public when a sport event is over. :)

Yup :-)

Good point. What tends to happen is the public gets a hold of these products a week out and expect 20" of snow then the event comes and they get 3". They didn't look into the facts or follow the forecast then they turn around and complain that we can't forecast out way out of a paper bag or that we get paid alot of money to be wrong all the time. I hate to even tell people what I do for a living unless they are involved with the emergency management community, a fellow fed or a media person or aviation customer. Part of it is laziness. I have friends and family sprawled throughout the NYC metro area that I have told for 15 years where to go for information yet when something could happen they all start texting and contacting on social media that these maps are flying around and they want my opinion.

Word.  Bring it, brother.  And, no matter how many times I tell them that I never have been or never will be an Op Met, they still come with IMBY questions and post mortem finger pointing...

idk HM, what was an old saying when I became a lawyer 30 years ago and is officially ancient now "thank God for the S.O.B. that sues my client" sort of applies here

even though I may want to sometimes strangle the opposing party/lawyer in a case, I can't live with out them

I think the garbage on the internet you aptly described actually helps the good mets as yourself since the garbage never verifies in the end

yeah, you'll take some heat because of the incompetence/business practices of some mets or wannabes who you too may also want to strangle, but I think in the long run the cream will rise to the top and be rewarded...and, actually, the hype-sters have brought the weather to the forefront of the news like never before which doesn't hurt when you're putting out great forecasts

idk HM, what was an old saying when I became a lawyer 30 years ago and is officially ancient now "thank God for the S.O.B. that sues my client" sort of applies here

even though I may want to sometimes strangle the opposing party/lawyer in a case, I can't live with out them

I think the garbage on the internet you aptly described actually helps the good mets as yourself since the garbage never verifies in the end

yeah, you'll take some heat because of the incompetence/business practices of some mets or wannabes who you too may also want to strangle, but I think in the long run the cream will rise to the top and be rewarded...and, actually, the hype-sters have brought the weather to the forefront of the news like never before which doesn't hurt when you're putting out great forecasts

Good points as well but what we run into is much of the public tends to think that meteorologists are all connected to one agency putting out information all the same. They tie tv mets to NWS to private companies to hypesters to kids putting out maps. Also the public tends to hear and read what they want versus reality. TV Met says scattered showers 30% chance high 88... Gets interpreted wrong and the complaints fly... "You said it was supposed to rain and it didn't". Well, scattered means scattered... Typical diurnally driven weak airmass convection...not widespread. It's all about interpretation.

I'm amazed at how many people buy their services that don't actually need it and/or don't forecast professionally. It's really something.

Snow accumulation maps, wxbell aside, have always been useless. Not too long ago, you were either ridiculed, made fun of and/or bashed if you posted them (outside of having a good laugh). I never thought I would see the day when they became acceptable with no repercussions.

While I take all of your points, I think I can answer that as a hobbyist. It's a small thing - but I do think they deserve a ton of credit in the thoughtful way they've created color scales that convey information in an aesthetically pleasing manner. I guess I think of it this way: We all love extreme weather, right? There's something ingrained in our souls that attracts many of us to the extremes. Well...setting aside the snowmaps - Wxbell does a great job at depicting extreme weather in a way that conveys those extremes graphically. 

While I take all of your points, I think I can answer that as a hobbyist. It's a small thing - but I do think they deserve a ton of credit in the thoughtful way they've created color scales that convey information in an aesthetically pleasing manner. I guess I think of it this way: We all love extreme weather, right? There's something ingrained in our souls that attracts many of us to the extremes. Well...setting aside the snowmaps - Wxbell does a great job at depicting extreme weather in a way that conveys those extremes graphically. 

yes the maps are nice, no debating that -- but maue knows what he's doing and he knows he could put forth a little effort to fix the snow problem -- but misleading maps are the greatest driver of traffic/subscriptions so there is no incentive to be scientifically honest, so he hides behind the "raw" data being poor

they're providing a super hi-res version of the euro with excellent graphics..I think their product is excellent...I do doubt the QPF sometimes to some extent, but not sure they can really massage that too much....the snow maps are silly...i get snowmaps too and they are rarely as crazy as weatherbells..for the 6z GFS this morning they had nothing for the entire area except maybe a dusting,..same with euro....I am guessing weatherbell will have crazy maps for today's euro

I'm guessing weatherbell euro snowmaps are going to show something as well

not much.  there is a definite problem with their gfs algorithm around here that winchester bullseye shows up a lot. 

post-1615-0-08511000-1396031588_thumb.pn

I understand your point, and it's really one of those points that can never be incorrect--it's timeless. While it may or may not help some out, I'm not really sure it is helping me out. No cream rising to the top that is practical and scientific; no help from bad, yet, to expose the better information to the masses; no "seeable" effect on me other than the frustrations of day-to-day interactions of ignorant people.

Your response implies that I should have faith that things will turn out okay in the end. And I say to that, "maybe; I sure hope you're right!" But for the time being, I still think I can occasionally complain! ;)

All of these things are tangential, though, and I'm not necessarily saying anything about those aspects. I, too, think they are beautiful maps and they deserve great praise for them. I, too, love extreme weather and love the way their graphics show the potential. I guess you're saying that if you have this passion, you would be willing to pay for that passion. And to that point, I understand and agree.

My statements earlier were definitely a little unfair because you are not just paying for a snow map...

Good points as well but what we run into is much of the public tends to think that meteorologists are all connected to one agency putting out information all the same. They tie tv mets to NWS to private companies to hypesters to kids putting out maps. Also the public tends to hear and read what they want versus reality. TV Met says scattered showers 30% chance high 88... Gets interpreted wrong and the complaints fly... "You said it was supposed to rain and it didn't". Well, scattered means scattered... Typical diurnally driven weak airmass convection...not widespread. It's all about interpretation.

It's hard enough to properly get a complex forecast through to people, especially if you're trying to tie in your confidence or probabilities to its outcome.  But when they drive home, hear a generic TWC forecast on the radio, get home, hear something a bit different from the TV met, check Facebook and see two different FB "mets" wild forecasts, and then the NWS has a slightly different forecast, what can you do?  More info in this case isn't better.  But it's the world we live in now.

And yes, I'd guess a majority of folks couldn't explain the difference between a probability and a possibility. 

Archived