joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
6z GFS

Ji

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LWX is a mistake obviously, obs from the other day.....weatherbell is a purposeful attempt to make money knowing their algorithms are deceptive

no, I know re LWX

I almost "soiled" myself when I saw it and wasn't expecting it

as for wxbell, I'm sure they'll just hide behind some discrete warning on their site that p-type is not always accurately depicted on the models

LWX is a mistake obviously, obs from the other day.....weatherbell is a purposeful attempt to make money knowing their algorithms are deceptive

I'm not sure the deception is intentional. It could be. IMO- it's simpleton math. I would expect them to fix it for next year. Even if they don't take all variables into consideration they should at least get the precip type correct through the 6 hour panel. It's pretty stupid when it's -.2 at hr 1 and +300 at hr 6 and it's all snow.

I'm amazed at how many people buy their services that don't actually need it and/or don't forecast professionally. It's really something.

Snow accumulation maps, wxbell aside, have always been useless. Not too long ago, you were either ridiculed, made fun of and/or bashed if you posted them (outside of having a good laugh). I never thought I would see the day when they became acceptable with no repercussions.

I'm not sure the deception is intentional. It could be. IMO- it's simpleton math. I would expect them to fix it for next year. Even if they don't take all variables into consideration they should at least get the precip type correct through the 6 hour panel. It's pretty stupid when it's -.2 at hr 1 and +300 at hr 6 and it's all snow.

I wouldn't

I'm amazed at how many people buy their services that don't actually need it and/or don't forecast professionally. It's really something.

Snow accumulation maps, wxbell aside, have always been useless. Not too long ago, you were either ridiculed, made fun of and/or bashed if you posted them (outside of having a good laugh). I never thought I would see the day when they became acceptable with no repercussions.

most of us know they are useless, but they get posted anyway

I don't mind them for 1 specific reason. They show exact precip totals to the 100th spread throughout the area. That's what I use them for. QPF maps are more broad brushed with contours and numerical stamps.

I also don't mind them for entertainment. It's prolific moronic social media posting that bugs the crap out of me. They have no place in the general public's eyes. It's become an total embarrassment. It's been really bad this year when posters KNOW they completely flawed but pimp them like a street hooker for attention.

most of us know they are useless, but they get posted anyway

A lot of you guys do it as a joke, which I suppose is okay from time-to-time. But that still ends up as free advertising, and the less-knowledgeable I guess could be the casualties here?

I don't mind them for 1 specific reason. They show exact precip totals to the 100th spread throughout the area. That's what I use them for. QPF maps are more broad brushed with contours and numerical stamps.

I also don't mind them for entertainment. It's prolific moronic social media posting that bugs the crap out of me. They have no place in the general public's eyes. It's become an total embarrassment. It's been really bad this year when posters KNOW they completely flawed but pimp them like a street hooker for attention.

Good post, sounds about right overall. A lot of you guys are also forecasters that need detailed information, too.

Good post, sounds about right overall. A lot of you guys are also forecasters that need detailed information, too.

One of my favorite exercises with Matt and co is discussing inter panel details when it's not clear how much of what type falls or sticks during a period. Basically it's fun debunking snow maps with a slightly complex mental exercise.

One of my favorite exercises with Matt and co is discussing inter panel details when it's not clear how much of what type falls or sticks during a period. Basically it's fun debunking snow maps with a slightly complex mental exercise.

March 3rd comes to mind. Trying to figure out the changeover etc.

Maybe we should start a new thread for how weatherbell engages in deceptive practices to make money

Colors attract the masses. Yellow, orange, red, pink, purple. They have done their research. People like color and they jump on it then it goes viral whether wrong or right. It's deceptive. Best to hold those colors for extreme events.

Problem with snow maps now is they are much more detailed and pretty. In the past they looked like atari graphics in general or were too tiny to say much other than there's a blob over such and such zone.  

They are used all the time in major articles as well as the proliferation on social media.  Partly because if you have the option of showing what a model is printing out in liquid v snow and you expect snow... you're going to run to snow, because the other will require explanation etc.  

Most come with disclaimers in that fashion but I think a growing number of forecasters are relying on them even with caveats more than they used to.  

Colors attract the masses. Yellow, orange, red, pink, purple. They have done their research. People like color and they jump on it then it goes viral whether wrong or right. It's deceptive. Best to hold those colors for extreme events.

meh, they are doing nothing wrong. We can't fault every contributor of filth when consumers feed off hype, colors and warnings. This is a small example of a much larger issue --stupid people.

Problem with snow maps now is they are much more detailed and pretty. In the past they looked like atari graphics in general or were too tiny to say much other than there's a blob over such and such zone.  

They are used all the time in major articles as well as the proliferation on social media.  Partly because if you have the option of showing what a model is printing out in liquid v snow and you expect snow... you're going to run to snow, because the other will require explanation etc.  

Most come with disclaimers in that fashion but I think a growing number of forecasters are relying on them even with caveats more than they used to.  

I say keep 'em pretty but change the algorithm to make them more accurate...Though I doubt that will happen..these guys are mets...they know exactly what they are doing

meh, they are doing nothing wrong. We can't fault every contributor of filth when consumers feed off hype, colors and warnings. This is a small example of a much larger issue --stupid people.

Good point. What tends to happen is the public gets a hold of these products a week out and expect 20" of snow then the event comes and they get 3". They didn't look into the facts or follow the forecast then they turn around and complain that we can't forecast out way out of a paper bag or that we get paid alot of money to be wrong all the time. I hate to even tell people what I do for a living unless they are involved with the emergency management community, a fellow fed or a media person or aviation customer. Part of it is laziness. I have friends and family sprawled throughout the NYC metro area that I have told for 15 years where to go for information yet when something could happen they all start texting and contacting on social media that these maps are flying around and they want my opinion.

Archived