Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
6z GFS

Ji

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes the maps are nice, no debating that -- but maue knows what he's doing and he knows he could put forth a little effort to fix the snow problem -- but misleading maps are the greatest driver of traffic/subscriptions so there is no incentive to be scientifically honest, so he hides behind the "raw" data being poor

I saw a video recently where Maue acknowledged the Euro snowmaps were flawed in their snow output(ratios etc). He said he has no control over that...its entirely the data from ecmwf.

Interesting the front half is kinda drier and spottier locally now.. precip hole over DC area on GFS. But the second half jackpots us on almost every run.  Winter lag there. ;)

I saw a video recently where Maue acknowledged the Euro snowmaps were flawed in their snow output(ratios etc). He said he has no control over that...its entirely the data from ecmwf.

That's an embarrassment if he said that. Snow maps are generated by the vendor and not the source. I guess the gfs, nam, ggem, and all the short range stuff has the same "erroneous data from the source". I have zero formal met training and it's starkly obvious to me where the error is. Sad. Very sad.

Archived