joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really loosing snow cover in open areas at a fast clip now.  80% coverage but decreasing by at least 10% a day.  Other than bare ground can't find any signs of spring but i bet the sap is running good.

To me the first sign of real green up is the forsythia bush.  I track that as the wave of green moving up the east coast.  My Dad lives in the Baltimore suburbs.  The earliest his forsythia turned yellow was one year on March 17th.  He just took this picture so it is opening today.  So the green wave is now entering the Baltimore/DC area.

post-268-0-13916500-1396808996_thumb.jpg

My 5th annual year of adding nothing to the lawn.

Brian, I was just looking at your webcam, you are loosing your snowcover rapidly.  Your netcam picture is quite dark.  You can play with the settings and open increase the brightness.  Also your a bit out of focus.  The lens is a pain to play with, you got to keep looking at your picture in your computer but you could probably improve your pic quite a bit if you wanted to. Your temp and mine is almost the same right now.  46.8F.

Brian, I was just looking at your webcam, you are loosing your snowcover rapidly. Your netcam picture is quite dark. You can play with the settings and open increase the brightness. Also your a bit out of focus. The lens is a pain to play with, you got to keep looking at your picture in your computer but you could probably improve your pic quite a bit if you wanted to. Your temp and mine is almost the same right now. 46.8F.

There's not much I can do until I move the cam. I have it facing west and as the sun angle increases I get exposure issues. I played with the exposure grid this morning because the snow was being severely overexposed. It looks better now, but unfortunately the rest of the images look darker.

The pack has been taking a beating,but the lack of snow in the foreground is faux. The back of the house gets scorched there on the west side and the garage blocks most of the wind on the north side. The ambient temp easily runs about 10-20F hotter in that nook on sunny days during the warm season. When the snow starts to "pull" away from the house it goes fast in that area. Regardless, it's going quickly now. I'd be surprised if I have much left, outside of the piles, after Tuesday.

The pack has been taking a beating,but the lack of snow in the foreground is faux. The back of the house gets scorched there on the west side and the garage blocks most of the wind on the north side. The ambient temp easily runs about 10-20F hotter in that nook on sunny days during the warm season. When the snow starts to "pull" away from the house it goes fast in that area. Regardless, it's going quickly now. I'd be surprised if I have much left, outside of the piles, after Tuesday.

Well what a great run of snowcover we have had.  Mid November to around April 10th.  By mid week I think most of the lowlands in NNE will be more than 50% bare with the snowcover retreating up to areas over 1250 feet.  Hard to believe that last year we had our Memorial Day snowfall which is still 7 weeks away, so **** can still happen as we know.  Anything from here out is fleeting, you need the glaciated snow to hold on, new snow just melts off in a days April sun.  Time to move forward!

Well what a great run of snowcover we have had.  Mid November to around April 10th.  By mid week I think most of the lowlands in NNE will be more than 50% bare with the snowcover retreating up to areas over 1250 feet.  Hard to believe that last year we had our Memorial Day snowfall which is still 7 weeks away, so **** can still happen as we know.  Anything from here out is fleeting, you need the glaciated snow to hold on, new snow just melts off in a days April sun.  Time to move forward!

I'll be heading to Orono tomorrow/Tuesday--curious to see how that looks.

Therein lies the problem. With those nasty , acidic trees there and probably very little sun..you'll never be able to fully get rid of it. take those things down

Funny you should mention that. 

Husqvarna 455 Rancher with a 20" bar acquired this weekend. 

coatsywins.jpg

So can anyone give me some guidance on mulch? Place up the road has hemlock and cedar (both $34/yd) or a hardwood mulch ($20/yd). Other than appearance, advantages and disadvantages of each? Prices sound reasonable?

It's been a few years since I either mulched myself or mulched at all...but I'm pretty sure we've gone with their cheaper hardwood mulch in the past and been happy with the quality. Just wondering if there's any real reason to pay for the pricier stuff other than appearance. 

most likely the pricey material is pure bark mulch and the cheaper material is ground up wood chips with some bark mixed in.

So can anyone give me some guidance on mulch? Place up the road has hemlock and cedar (both $34/yd) or a hardwood mulch ($20/yd). Other than appearance, advantages and disadvantages of each? Prices sound reasonable?

It's been a few years since I either mulched myself or mulched at all...but I'm pretty sure we've gone with their cheaper hardwood mulch in the past and been happy with the quality. Just wondering if there's any real reason to pay for the pricier stuff other than appearance.

$34 delivered is the going rate around here. depends on what your goals are. if you use the mulch to keeps the weeds down, your better off with the pine family - the consistency forms a more effective barrier and helps retain mositure, especially if you lay it down thick enough (3"). other advantage is it will break down and provide nutrients to the beds. one concern with wood chips is that it can contain termites, so it best not to use it next to your house.

http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/mulch-materials-research-report

http://www.goodearthcompostandmulch.com/2013/guides/pine-bark-mulch/

Archived