• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Official Spring Discussion

mackerel_sky

Yeah, dynamics and jet energy needed for severe weather is not as impressive as compared to 48 hours ago...however substantial rainfall could become the issue now as we get a deep south flow while the upper flow becomes stuck for about 48+ hours...I've noticed the GFS in particular sends a front across the Tennessee Valley on Tuesday, stalls it on the Apps as additional areas of low pressure form along it. Quite a stripe of QPF that runs from the Deep South up through the spine of the Apps.

Yeah, looking again at the latest model runs, eastern TN and western NC look to receive some substantial rain. It looks like then, the front plows east, giving eastern areas rain, but nothing too put of the ordinary. The trough remains to the west with a flow out of the SW/Gulf, but it looks dry. I'm not sure why there's no more precipitation...

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a chance to catch up on some data and would like to throw some ideas out there...

First off, this is looking more and more like we will have the upper dynamics in play for a significant severe weather event from the Mississippi River to the East Coast. With my focus being the Carolina Region, I'm a little concerned that we could get some activity as early as Monday afternoon along a boundary that will extend from the Carolinas up into the midwest dermarking the moist southerly flow from a more stable flow to the north...it would not suprise me in future model runs that the awareness of potential from the Central Carolinas extending to the Midwest is heightened.

Then looking at the upper heights for Tuesday evening, this looks like things will be in play for a strong severe weather event...here's a 500mb look for 0z Wednesday ( 8 pm Tuesday)

GFS_3_2014042700_F72_WSPD_500_MB.png

The big question on who will be affected with possible tornadoes will be based on which areas can build some surface instability on each of the afternoons...I have a gut feeling this is going to turn into a big deal for a fairly large region. I would expect some night-time tornadoes.

The other issue at hand is the slow moving nature of our upper features as they are being blocked from moving swiftly eastward. First this will influence when and how much a specific region will be affected because I expect a lot of areas will get hit by multiple storm cells or possible meso-scale complexes. This will also precip totals to being to pile up over the region...as of now I would highlight Northern Alabama through the So Apps Region and into the Carolinas for potential excessive rainfall as those areas could get slammed on more than one occasion.

GFS_3_2014042700_F96_PCPIN_96_HR.png

A lot of people need to keep an eye on this for multiple facets...

Will be interesting to hear what Jason Boyer says tomorrow, Jay downplayed the rain a bit this morning saying 2 inches max.... I mean looks like 7 in my back yard! Haha I remember coming back home from school in May and it just rained all summer.

Just a bit of advise...don't listen to WLOS. That's a waste of time.

Will be interesting to hear what Jason Boyer says tomorrow, Jay downplayed the rain a bit this morning saying 2 inches max.... I mean looks like 7 in my back yard! Haha I remember coming back home from school in May and it just rained all summer.

That map I posted was from last year, but models are putting out 5"+ in the same areas.  Warm season ULL's = washout.

HPC forecast:

fhNIlQh.gif

GFS total 5 day precip

wJbcwjd.gif

*Seems to be the best place for this link*

NASA mission brings large radars to western NC

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/25359314/nasa-partnership-brings-large-satellite-to-western-nc%C2'> (SFW)

"The radars provide state-of-the-art measurements of rain intensity but are also capable of delineating between, rain, sleet, snow and hail. The two radars are referred to as the larger, NASA Polarimetric radar (NPOL) and is a S-band (10 cm) dual-polarized radar (similar to current NWS radars). They also have a smaller dual-frequency, dual-polarization, Doppler Radar (D3R)."

"The project runs from May 1 until June 15, though Wolff said they will be documenting the rain and weather leading up to Thursday. He said the main project is sponsored by NASA, Duke University (Dr. Ana Barros) and NOAA."

Read the GSP forecast discussion , no mention of rain until day seven or later! They also said that the next event could be a copy of the last system, with a wide open gulf feed!? Well we will see if it pans out better for us this time , or is the upstate precip hole going to haunt me all summer?!

Sure it'll be open...until it's blocked by non-modeled convective complexes, dry air pockets, rain shadows, meso highs, gentrification, flocks of geese or other "unforeseen" items. But maybe the models will at least give us 7 days of fantasy rain again.

So this next dud of a rain event on Sat/Sun ,how's it looking? It's been a good run, but I really don't want to break out the sprinklers already!

Edit: looks like a cooler ( normal) temp regime and a much more unsettled pattern over the weekend and early next week! Need the rain, plants starting to wilt!

I'll break the post drought....   Looks like a trough gets establsihed this weekend. This means a lot cooler temps and hopefully lots of rain for those that are currently dry.

60 hour precip totals at hour 120:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=120ℑ=data%2Fgfs%2F06%2Fgfs_namer_120_precip_p60.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&param=precip_p60&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20140512+06+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=model

I'll break the post drought....   Looks like a trough gets establsihed this weekend. This means a lot cooler temps and hopefully lots of rain for those that are currently dry.

60 hour precip totals at hour 120:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=120ℑ=data%2Fgfs%2F06%2Fgfs_namer_120_precip_p60.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&param=precip_p60&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20140512+06+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=model

It's the best chance for rain mby has had for the past few weeks  :D  

CAE......

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...

RIDGE AXIS SHIFTS FARTHER EASTWARD AND OFF THE COAST BY WEDNESDAY

NIGHT AS A DEEP TROUGH BEGINS TO AFFECT THE REGION THROUGH

THURSDAY. CHANCE OF SHOWERS/ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS BEGINS TO

INCREASE BY EARLY THURSDAY AS MOISTURE FLUX INCREASES OFF THE

ATLANTIC AHEAD OF APPROACHING HIGHLY AMPLIFIED UPPER TROUGH. AT

THE SURFACE...A COLD FRONT WILL APPROACH THE REGION ON THURSDAY

AND EXPECT THIS TO BE THE BEST CHANCE FOR PRECIPITATION DURING THE

LONG TERM PERIOD. BOTH ECMWF/GFS SHOW SOME TROPICAL CONNECTION.

PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES INCREASE TO NEARLY 2.0 INCHES BY

THURSDAY WITH THE INSTABILITY INCREASING. SO POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY

RAIN. EXPECT THE AIR MASS TO BE MODERATELY UNSTABLE BY AFTERNOON.

GUIDANCE POPS HAVE BEEN CONSISTENT OVER THE PAST FEW RUNS

INDICATING AT LEAST LIKELY/CATEGORICAL POPS THURSDAY. SOME TIMING

DIFFERENCES STILL EXIST BETWEEN THE ECMWF/GFS...BUT EXPECT

DIMINISHING POPS THURSDAY NIGHT.

FRIDAY THROUGH MONDAY... RIDGE AXIS SHIFTS OFF THE COAST BY THE

END OF THE WEEK WITH DEEP TROUGH MOVING THROUGH THE AREA. QUESTION

WILL BE HOW QUICKLY THE COLD FRONT MOVES THROUGH THE AREA AND WHEN

PRECIPITATION CHANCES DECREASE ON FRIDAY. SOME TIMING DIFFERENCES

STILL EXIST BETWEEN THE ECMWF/GFS...BUT EXPECT DIMINISHING POPS

INTO EARLY FRIDAY AS BOUNDARY WILL BE OFF THE SC COAST BY FRIDAY

MORNING. FOR THE WEEKEND...MAINLY DRY AS RIDGE BUILDS IN ALTHOUGH

MODELS SUGGEST A SECONDARY FRONT MAY COME THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT

OR EARLY SUNDAY MORNING WITH LIMITED MOISTURE. TEMPERATURES BELOW

NORMAL OVER THE WEEKEND.

It's the best chance for rain mby has had for the past few weeks   :D

6z GFS still showing a nice event for most in the SE. Almost everybody close or over 1" totals:

60 hour totals at hour 84:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=084ℑ=data%2Fgfs%2F06%2Fgfs_namer_084_precip_p60.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&param=precip_p60&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20140513+06+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=model

Local guys calling for widespread 1-2 inch totals from wed night - Thur night! I don't know whether to be happy or sad!? :(. I am definitely looking forward to the spring-like weather for the end of the week and weekend! :)

Yea we heard this one before. Believe it when I see it.

Archived