joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Official Spring Discussion

mackerel_sky

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course we will get 30s next week, I just bought and planted my ' mater plants yesterday! :(

I start my own from seed. I'm holding off planting them 'til next weekend. Hope we don't get a freeze like we did in 2007 where it turned all the azaleas into mush.

Ah yes, the usual caveat...

I thought that only happened in winter storms, lol! GSP mentioned the exact same thing in about their last three days worth of AFD's! I'll take the inch every seven days. It's amazing how fast things dry out from 3+ inches of rain last Monday ! I guess all it takes is a few days in the 80s and humidity in the 20% range.

Of course we will get 30s next week, I just bought and planted my ' mater plants yesterday! :(

You know not to pre-mature yer 'mater sow.  

They'll be ok.  Planting mine last of the month. 

My wife hates tomatoes (and sex, alcohol, fun - in general).  I love tomatoes!

I always have a rolling inventory of a dozen tomatoes a week... but, eat only one, or two.

Just for fun.

You know not to pre-mature yer 'mater sow.

They'll be ok. Planting mine last of the month.

My wife hates tomatoes (and sex, alcohol, fun - in general). I love tomatoes!

I always have a rolling inventory of a dozen tomatoes a week... but, eat only one, or two.

Just for fun.

If you don't grow from seed, Home Depot had all there veggies in small pots 5 for 10$. , as of Saturday

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC
337 PM EDT MON APR 14 2014

...NEAR OR BELOW FREEZING TEMPERATURES POSSIBLE...

.AFTER A COLD FRONT PASSES THROUGH ON TUESDAY... AN UNUSUALLY
CHILLY AIR MASS WILL BUILD INTO CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA TUESDAY
NIGHT. TEMPERATURES MAY DROP TO READINGS AT OR BELOW FREEZING FOR
SEVERAL HOURS LATE TUESDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING.

NCZ007>010-021>026-038>041-073>077-083-084-150830-
/O.NEW.KRAH.FZ.A.0001.140416T0700Z-140416T1300Z/
PERSON-GRANVILLE-VANCE-WARREN-FORSYTH-GUILFORD-ALAMANCE-ORANGE-
DURHAM-FRANKLIN-DAVIDSON-RANDOLPH-CHATHAM-WAKE-STANLY-MONTGOMERY-
MOORE-LEE-HARNETT-ANSON-RICHMOND-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROXBORO...OXFORD...BUTNER...CREEDMOOR...
HENDERSON...NORLINA...WARRENTON...WINSTON-SALEM...GREENSBORO...
HIGH POINT...BURLINGTON...GRAHAM...CHAPEL HILL...CARRBORO...
DURHAM...LOUISBURG...FRANKLINTON...LEXINGTON...THOMASVILLE...
ASHEBORO...ARCHDALE...TRINITY...SILER CITY...PITTSBORO...
RALEIGH...CARY...ALBEMARLE...TROY...BISCOE...MOUNT GILEAD...
SOUTHERN PINES...PINEHURST...ABERDEEN...SEVEN LAKES...SANFORD...
DUNN...ERWIN...ANGIER...LILLINGTON...WADESBORO...POLKTON...
ROCKINGHAM...HAMLET...EAST ROCKINGHAM
337 PM EDT MON APR 14 2014

...FREEZE WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
WEDNESDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A FREEZE
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...LOW TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO BE 28 TO 34
  DEGREES. READINGS MAY BE AT OR BELOW THE FREEZING MARK FOR
  AROUND 3 TO 5 HOURS BETWEEN 3 AM AND 9 AM.

* IMPACTS...VEGETATION SENSITIVE TO THESE COLD TEMPERATURES MAY BE
  DAMAGED OR KILLED IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FREEZE WATCH MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE POSSIBLE.
THESE CONDITIONS COULD KILL CROPS AND OTHER SENSITIVE VEGETATION.

&&

$$

post-987-0-53305000-1397505335_thumb.jpg

NWS RAH is now going with a low of 29 here on Wednesday morning and 32 on Thursday morning.  Yikes.  I can't remember the last time it was that cold here in mid-April.  I know there was a brutal cold snap in April 2007, but that was towards the beginning of the month.  If that 29 verifies, some plants will be vulnerable.

Thanks for stopping by.  :angry:  :P

:( :)

NWS RAH is now going with a low of 29 here on Wednesday morning and 32 on Thursday morning.  Yikes.  I can't remember the last time it was that cold here in mid-April.  I know there was a brutal cold snap in April 2007, but that was towards the beginning of the month.  If that 29 verifies, some plants will be vulnerable.

:(  :)

It was April 6-10, 2007. I remember all the azalea blossoms turned to mush or just turned brown, the hydrangeas lost their first set of blossoms, and the sweetgums lost their first leaves.

Here's the summary... http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20070410/

Yes, thanks, Solak.  This doesn't look nearly as impressive as that, though it is a good bit later in the month.

------------

How does the Hi-Res NAM usually do with temperatures?  I was looking at the 18z run and it shows basically everyone in NC west of I-95 getting down below freezing at some point on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning with sub-30 temperatures in the western half of NC and northern and northwestern SC with teens in the mountains.  It gets GSO down to 27, CLT down to 28, RDU down to 30, etc....

It would be fitting for this winter to give us one last middle finger by killing everything tonight.  It looks like I will be below freezing for 6-8 hours bottoming out in the mid to upper 20s.  I could see the following night being more frosty but not quite as cold.  I'm glad I haven't started hardening off my tomatoes yet but this could be a 2007 repeat very easily.

WPC has a slight risk for excessive rainfall over our entire Forecast Area for Thursday - Friday. If the Euro/CMC is right, there is probably going to be some flooding. We are already at 215% for rainfall this month.

There is a complete 100% chance of dumbness in Waycross !! :) looks like a great weekend here!!

There is a complete 100% chance of dumbness in Waycross !! :) looks like a great weekend here!!

If I lived in Waycross - I could do the things that come naturally.

I could walk the morn, mostly naked, with a beer in one hand, cig in the other... dead cat over my shoulder in the pouring rain...

...singing a nice song.

That would be normal.  

I like Waycross, Georgia!

If I lived in Waycross - I could do the things that come naturally.

I could walk the morn, mostly naked, with a beer in one hand, cig in the other... dead cat over my shoulder in the pouring rain...

...singing a nice song.

That would be normal.  

I like Waycross, Georgia!

Sounds like parts of downtown Atlanta .....

18z GFS  via MeteoStar tries to bring the moisture up this way on Saturday and give us a little better than 1.75". the 500 LP closes off on Fri night over SW Georgia, and slowly drifts out to the coast and kinda stalls before moving away late Sunday. Almost looks like a stacked system with the surface low by mid-day Sat., unless I'm reading the model wrong. Someone's going to get wet, regardless.

I really wish the rain would stay away this weekend. Kids are supposed to have an Easter egg hunt Saturday morning and my son has t-ball practice Saturday afternoon. I also need to cut the grass. I hate rain, but I really hate it on the weekend when there is actually time to do stuff outside. WRAL saying most of the rain should stay east of 95 so maybe we will get lucky.

I really wish the rain would stay away this weekend. Kids are supposed to have an Easter egg hunt Saturday morning and my son has t-ball practice Saturday afternoon. I also need to cut the grass. I hate rain, but I really hate it on the weekend when there is actually time to do stuff outside. WRAL saying most of the rain should stay east of 95 so maybe we will get lucky.

Fishel just said about saturday...  "growingly it looks like a wet and nasty day"

I hope you get an inch of rain.

Archived