joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 25-26 Potential Bomb Part II

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should get better sampling of the important piece of energy on the 12Z runs today.

THE REX HIGH IS SLIGHTLY STRONGER OVER

ALASKA THAN INITIALIZED AND THE IMPLICATION WOULD BE THAT THE LAST

PIECE OF THE PUZZLE, THE SHORT WAVE ENTERING NORTHWEST TERRITORY AND

NUNAVUT BORDER IS COMING IN SLIGHTLY HOTTER THAN INITIALIZED. THE

NEXT SOUNDING RUN SHOULD FINALLY HAVE A BETTER CAPTURE AND LAND

BASED RAOB SAMPLING OF THIS FEATURE

http://climate.cod.edu/flanis/satellite/hemi/index.php?type=hemi-wv-48

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/P_24hr500bw.gif

Should get better sampling of the important piece of energy on the 12Z runs today.

THE REX HIGH IS SLIGHTLY STRONGER OVER

ALASKA THAN INITIALIZED AND THE IMPLICATION WOULD BE THAT THE LAST

PIECE OF THE PUZZLE, THE SHORT WAVE ENTERING NORTHWEST TERRITORY AND

NUNAVUT BORDER IS COMING IN SLIGHTLY HOTTER THAN INITIALIZED. THE

NEXT SOUNDING RUN SHOULD FINALLY HAVE A BETTER CAPTURE AND LAND

BASED RAOB SAMPLING OF THIS FEATURE

That's why it nuts for people to argue 4 and 5 days out when the data is incomplete .

There should be a bend today ,  will know by 230 if its east or west .

50 - 75 mile wobble is in the cards . Not sure if it`s east or west

It will be west.  I almost guarantee it.  

If you look at the Weatherbell low center locations you can see that there are clearly 6 outliers in the ensemble mean that are skewing things off the coast just a bit.  There is only one outlier to the west that you might be able to throw out.  This in itself will skew things to the east a bit too far.  

In addition, there is a second camp in about 10% of the Euro ensemble members that actually develops the low over or very close to Cape Hatters.  This second camp has actually become more noticable on the last model run overnight and this could be a real possibility.  It is the members that develop the low near Hatteras (as a result of giving more credit to the northern stream wave rather than the low way the hell out in the ocean) that are the major hits on the ensembles, even for inland locations.  

Also, those dismissing the Euro as an outlier are making a tremendous mistake, most likely.  The Euro verification scores are MUCH higher at 3 days than any other model and if you look back to the previous 0z run from yesterday, the Euro ensemble mean looks very similar.  It is just the run yesterday afternoon that had a bit of an offshore blip.  

In essence, my research this morning is indicating that this storm should trend a bit closer to the coast than what the Euro shows, possibly 25 miles or so, BUT there is also still a chance that this storm could develop close to Hatteras as a result of giving more credit to the northern stream disturbance and less to the southern stream.  That would change things dramatically.  What I am seeing is quite promising, possibly even for inland areas.

Some quick thoughts...

1. The room for large shifts in the track is diminishing, as some modest improvements in sampling and initialization still lie ahead.

2. Timing when the storm begins to bomb out could make a difference as to whether some more significant amounts can be pulled somewhat south and west of what the 6z GFS is depicting.

3. In terms of past storms, a number of scenarios are still plausible. CIPS analogs notwithstanding, perhaps a leading case is the 12/26-27/2004 event that brought 1"-3" near NYC and its nearby suburbs,  4"-6" across parts of Suffolk County with a few higher amounts, 4"-8" across easternmost Connecticut into Rhode Island, and widespread 10"-14" amounts focused on Cape Cod and just north and west with a few amounts approaching 20". The heaviest snows then shifted into Atlantic Canada.

4. A compromise between the 0z ECMWF and 6z GFS (small lean toward the ECMWF given the timeframe involved) might provide an early reasonable idea.

It will be west.  I almost guarantee it.  If you look at the Weatherbell low center locations you can see that there are clearly 6 outliers in the ensemble mean that are skewing things off the coast just a bit.  There is only one outlier to the west that you might be able to throw out.  This in itself will skew things to the east a bit too far.  In addition, there is a second camp in about 10% of the Euro ensemble members that actually develops the low over or very close to Cape Hatters.  This second camp has actually become more noticable on the last model run overnight and this could be a real possibility.  It is those members that develop the low near Hatteras as a result of giving more credit to the northern stream wave rather than the low way the hell out in the ocean that are the major hits on the ensembles even for inland locations.  Also, those dismissing the Euro as an outlier are making a tremendous mistake most likely.  The Euro verification scores are MUCH higher at 3 days than any other model and if you look back to the previous 0z run from yesterday, the Euro ensemble mean looks very similar.  It is just the run yesterday afternoon that had a bit of an offshore blip.  In essence, my research this morning is indicating that this storm should trend a bit closer to the coast than what the Euro shows, possibly 25 miles or so, BUT there is also still a chance that this storm could develop close to Hatteras as a result of giving more credit to the northern stream disturbance and less to the southern stream.  That would change things dramatically.  What I am seeing is quite promising, possibly even for inland areas.

Big guy, there is a rationale behind your rhetoric, wish I could be as optimistic as you @ this juncture. If your dictum proves to be reality ( lets say KNYC tops out at close to a foot)  & you love chocolate  U have my word you are getting a big bar of your favorite delivered to your home! :D

Sustained 45 plus for 12 hours , these are you`re gusts . The drifts should be insane .

Nice! My wife isn't happy about them

Missing school but you don't get to see weather like this often. House has a gennie so power is t an issue. Getting out by Thursday might be though!

Some quick thoughts...

1. The room for large shifts in the track is diminishing, as some modest improvements in sampling and initialization still lie ahead.

2. Timing when the storm begins to bomb out could make a difference as to whether some more significant amounts can be pulled somewhat south and west of what the 6z GFS is depicting.

3. In terms of past storms, a number of scenarios are still plausible. CIPS analogs notwithstanding, perhaps a leading case is the 12/26-27/2004 event that brought 1"-3" near NYC and its nearby suburbs,  4"-6" across parts of Suffolk County with a few higher amounts, 4"-8" across easternmost Connecticut into Rhode Island, and widespread 10"-14" amounts focused on Cape Cod and just north and west with a few amounts approaching 20". The heaviest snows then shifted into Atlantic Canada.

4. A compromise between the 0z ECMWF and 6z GFS (small lean toward the ECMWF given the timeframe involved) might provide an early reasonable idea.

That`s always an option . 50 miles here a world of difference .3 on the Euro at KNYC over 12 hours doesn't really accumulate .

But .8 will and that's only 30 miles east on the Euro right now .

So every tick matters.

The SREF is a move...but it seems the move "west" of qpf occurs south of the city and isn't much help to the city or NW burbs.  Seems to help NJ south of 78 and PHL possibly.  Verbatim the .5" line is through the city on both runs.  But the 1" line is definitely closer albeit still offshore.

SREF 03Z

post-2848-0-38422100-1395578399_thumb.gi

vs

SREF 21Z

post-2848-0-79649700-1395578412_thumb.gi

The SREF is a move...but it seems the move "west" of qpf occurs south of the city and isn't much help to the city or NW burbs.  Seems to help NJ south of 78 and PHL possibly.  Verbatim the .5" line is through the city on both runs.  But the 1" line is definitely closer albeit still offshore.

SREF 03Z

attachicon.gifsref_namer_081_precip_p24.gif

vs

SREF 21Z

attachicon.gifsref_namer_087_precip_p24.gif

The 1" line is closer on the recent sref.

AGREE  with the revised . -  When this explodes , you will def get a push . Just not sure the direction .

Hope the models come into some agreement today though .

The 6 and 12 hr pressure falls on euro and cmc were pretty exceptional. Quite the combo

of +5C SST anomalies with Gulf Stream coupled with amazing dynamics.

I wonder if the models are going towards 2 lows. One that goes out to sea and another one close to the coast. Euro showed this and the GFS also.

I doubt it.  I do however think that the low could actually develop more near or even over Hatteras, as opposed to what the models have been showing with it developing way the hell out in the ocean.  See my detailed post on the previous page.

50/50 low refers to mainly it's location (coordinates). And is a system with a closed circulation. Usually it means conditions can be favorable for a snowstorm in our areas, however not always. Julian's point was that just because there is a 50/50 low, it doesn't mean it cannot move east. Having a 50/50 low has nothing to do with which direction the storm can or will be moving

Sent from my iPhone

Would you be so kind as to explain to the viewers like myself who would like to know ?

The term "50-50 Low"   refers to the development or appearance of a strong or intense Low-pressure area both at the surface and in upper levels of the atmosphere -- usually at 500 MB -- over or near the positions of 50 degrees North Latitude and 50 degrees West Longitude. Hence the name "50-50 Low".

There are many many cases where having a -NAO or 50-50 Low does NOT  result in anything close to a significant East Coast snowstorm. WHY? Because there is  coastal Low

However IF there is a coastal Low AND both of these features on present on the Upper air maps BEFORE the coastal Low Low forms then experienced forecasters know that the pattern is setting up to become favorable for a SECS / MECS Event.

Would you be so kind as to explain to the viewers like myself who would like to know ?

1 - The 50/50 low is a 500 mb feature, not a surface feature.  He's showing a surface map.

2 - The 50/50 low is named that because it's centered at roughly 50 latitude/50 longitude.  The surface low he is referencing is centered at 60/40.

Archived