• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
3/17-3/18 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

I haven't seen any forecast with temps in the mid 40's and rain. All forecast I've seen have low 30's and a chance of snow. ...... Also nobody here said we were going to get 12" of snow.....

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see a lot of talk here with 12"+ snow but im seeing the mainstream reports telling something else altogether. Temps int he mid 40's with rain

Monday A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31. Chance of precipitation is 30%  Thats Muttontown . 

As much of an improvement as the southern stream is at 12z today, it still would be better if it consolidates quicker and is less sheared out. There's still time for improvements there along with the PV. If it's just a little more relaxed, we could have a nice storm.

Yeah, faster consolidation and less positilt /sheared would be better with an anomalous late season PV over SE Canada. 

I'll never understand the "I don't want to be in the bullseye" sentiment. I always want to be in the bullseye, unless one is talking about a specific model with a specific well known bias. The analogy I'll use is hurricane path projections and the "cone of uncertainty." Sure, 5 days out, the center of the cone still might not get hit, but it's much more likely than the edges of the cone being hit at 5 days out. Same here, I would think. Why would anyone want to have the model consensus with a track 300 miles south of here 5 days out? Of course, you can always have a 3/1 situation, where the trend was all in one direction, but I would think that's the exception.

I know there's a significant difference in the comparison, in that hurricane forecasts have initial conditions with an actual storm on the map and the models then predict the path of that actual storm, vs. winter storms, where the ultimate storm (especially if it's a coastal storm, i.e., there is no "storm off the Carolinas" 5 days out) often doesn't even take shape until 24-36 hours before the event, but even with winter storms, presumably one can at least track a kind of "cone of uncertainty" for the tracks of the pieces of energy that will eventually become the storm. Not sure why nobody does that or maybe the uncertainty is simply so high that the cone of uncertainty would be immense.

I'll never understand the "I don't want to be in the bullseye" sentiment. I always want to be in the bullseye, unless one is talking about a specific model with a specific well known bias. The analogy I'll use is hurricane path projections and the "cone of uncertainty." Sure, 5 days out, the center of the cone still might not get hit, but it's much more likely than the edges of the cone being hit at 5 days out. Same here, I would think. Why would anyone want to have the model consensus with a track 300 miles south of here 5 days out? Of course, you can always have a 3/1 situation, where the trend was all in one direction, but I would think that's the exception.

I know there's a significant difference in the comparison, in that hurricane forecasts have initial conditions with an actual storm on the map and the models then predict the path of that actual storm, vs. winter storms, where the ultimate storm (especially if it's a coastal storm, i.e., there is no "storm off the Carolinas" 5 days out) often doesn't even take shape until 24-36 hours before the event, but even with winter storms, presumably one can at least track a kind of "cone of uncertainty" for the tracks of the pieces of energy that will eventually become the storm. Not sure why nobody does that or maybe the uncertainty is simply so high that the cone of uncertainty would be immense.

I couldn't agree more with that and I was just about to post it. It's such a weenie thing to say when things aren't modeled as one would want.

Correct call. Euro would need to have An epic bust . Only one model shows much of any snow for nyc and this model took huge steps south recently

What? Have you been under a rock the whole day? All globals took a step towards the more powerful GGEM solution. Clear signals for atleast a moderate event for the area on most models. Your statement is SEVERELY flawed

Two completely different systems in respect to cone of uncertainty. As you alluded to, the storm is yet to develop and this creates huge differences with respect to tracking and predicting where the storm will head. With hurricanes, you need to deal with core changes, eye wall replacement cycles, shear and more and this all affect the track as well. Furthermore, snow storms have a much different impact area than just a tight hurricane circulation, and therefore a cone of uncertainty, as you said, would be far too immense. There are a myriad of other differences, but that would be a very hard feat.

Something tells me Mt. Holly and particularly Upton are still recovering from the forecasts busts earlier this month.

SREF continues to look good as some already noted. I'm not nearly as interested in the qpf as I am with H500 earlier in the run. Good to see significant spread on the north side of the mslp as well.

Archived