Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
ST Patricks Day Storm discussion

Ji

In response to the comment about NAVGEM an hour ago:

NAVGEM had today's storm as a huge DC snowstorm until 48 hours ago. It's usually not THAT bad, but it was just horrendous for that last storm.

At this lead models rarely converge. Especially in a progressive pattern. Siding with the highest skilled models and ensembles will always afford the best chance at having the right idea. If the navgem showed a big hit but the euro showed a whiff it would be a much bigger flag.

We have the best scoring model and ensemble suite supporting a snowy solution. Gfs and ggem are next. One good and one bad. So 2 out of three look good. I'm not sure models like the navgem and dgex are of much use right now but that's only my opinion

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this lead models rarely converge. Especially in a progressive pattern. Siding with the highest skilled models and ensembles will always afford the best chance at having the right idea. If the navgem showed a big hit but the euro showed a whiff it would be a much bigger flag.

We have the best scoring model and ensemble suite supporting a snowy solution. Gfs and ggem are next. One good and one bad. So 2 out of three look good. I'm not sure models like the navgem and dgex are of much use right now but that's only my opinion

Agreed. But it's fun to peak. Honestly - I look at models like DGEX and NAVGEM because I go through Euro withdrawal and have nothing else to look at for 11 hours.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Agreed. But it's fun to peak. Honestly - I look at models like DGEX and NAVGEM because I go through Euro withdrawal and have nothing else to look at for 11 hours.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Ha, I used to do the same a couple years ago. I've successfully weened (took a lot of self discipline) but I still like looking at maps and disco when posted in the threads. I chuckle when Ian says models are like drugs. It's hard to get enough and there's too much out there already.

Ha, I used to do the same a couple years ago. I've successfully weened (took a lot of self discipline) but I still like looking at maps and disco when posted in the threads. I chuckle when Ian says models are like drugs. It's hard to get enough and there's too much out there already.

Ha. I make this joke all the time, but here goes again: one day, we won't have to wait. One day, the Euro (or some other high resolution model) will run every 2 minutes and will be fed by improved satellite data, app-fed surface data, and soundings every hour. And then, not even chaos theory will stop us!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Actually in the past month the GGEM is number two by a wide margin and the Goofus is basically tied with the UKIE:

post-564-0-94802800-1394626608.png

I know its NAM in lala land... but taking a peek at 72 makes me think that there would be some good things for those who like wintry precip down the road

Yep, it looks like the GGEM to a tee. Comparing the 60hr NAM to the 12z GGEM at 72 it is hard to find anything different. 

I'd like to see it a little further south

It's actually pretty good where it is.  Confluence looks plenty strong..high sliding down...that storm ain't cutting brotha.

The sfc/850 maps are pretty impressive..1039 behemoth moving down in tandem with the low...it's a sweet set up on the 84 hour NAM.  Caveats etc etc

It's actually pretty good where it is.  Confluence looks plenty strong..high sliding down...that storm ain't cutting brotha.

The sfc/850 maps are pretty impressive..1039 behemoth moving down in tandem with the low...it's a sweet set up on the 84 hour NAM.  Caveats etc etc

pretty wound up would be the only thing I can see to give pause....but it's the N....

I understand the skepticism of a NAM solution at 84 hours when it comes in with some crazier solution that no other guidance shows, but this seems like a case where it is consistent with a lot of other pieces of the puzzle that we've seen earlier today.

Good point. The nam isn't outside the envelope at all late in its range. Looked fine through 48 as well. No flags with the beginning of the 0z suite

Randy, look at the shortwave down south on the GFS/NAM....look at how it handles that at around 48-60 hours...See how the GFS kicks it east? The NAM/GGEM/EURO don't do this.. I think they'll meet in the middle somewhere, but we'll see. 

I see it...Since the gfs is on it's lonesome, I'm gonna brush it under the rug..not saying it can't be right...the scenario is plausible...but you would think that at this point some MAJOR global would have caught on.

Archived