• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter Thread

CAD_Wedge_NC

That looks like the area that may get hit the worst.

You CAD guys should know it's probably going to be colder than expected.

Until about an hour ago, nothing but rain outside the NW piedmont and mtns. Now some model showing 3-6 for ATL! Huge , huge changes! I hope it snows all night, these local mets refused to say anything but rain at noon! They have to mention possibilities by 10 pm!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until about an hour ago, nothing but rain outside the NW piedmont and mtns. Now some model showing 3-6 for ATL! Huge , huge changes! I hope it snows all night, these local mets refused to say anything but rain at noon! They have to mention possibilities by 10 pm!

I know around here, they will dance around it but they Will try to cover their butts!!!

Man we need this to keep trending colder like these weird models are doing this afternoon ! We need an unheard of storm for GaWx march database!

Lol! I'm actually going to be traveling to ATL from SAV this evening on, believe it or not, a preplanned trip (planned two weeks back). Incredible timing! (Had I not had it planned, I would have tried to get there regardless.) So, I'll be out of pocket til tonight, but will hopefully see something in ATL tomorrow

I didn't want to put this in the main thread and clutter it up, but I think this will be one of those situations where we will be underwhelmed with the winter part of the storm. Do I think some areas will see some snow or some front end sleet/ice? Yeah, sure. Heck, there may even be a few spots, outside the mountains that get warning criteria winter weather. But I think the majority of the precipitation will be rain for most areas...even GSO. Why? Just from watching these marginal events underperform through the years.

We tend to get all excited about these situations and look for ways the models might be missing something or underdoing the cold or overestimating the warm nose or moving the high out too quickly or tracking the low too far inland or underestimating the precip or underestimating the ULL or underestimating the dynamic cooling or not handling kicker correctly or whatever. I mean, that's part of the fun of all of this...finding ways where things could trend better. The models aren't perfect and they do have biases, of course.

But most of the time, from my observations -- not from any scientific evidence -- but just from my anecdotal observations, marginal situations tend to end up producing marginal events. Every now and then, we get what we all hope for, a complete whiff by the models and the anomalous, surprising winter storm. But in my experience those situations are few and far between.

The fact that we have a high leaving, a modest ULL, a decent but not overly strong surface low (which takes a GREAT track, mind you), and marginal cold air to begin with, all in early March, doesn't scream "bust to the winter storm side" to me. Unless the models are really wrong here on the cold air or way off on the ULL strength, I think it'll be cold rain for most.

I might turn out to be completely wrong. I hope I am. But, there are way to many red flags here and it's getting very late in the game.

I do appreciate the research that you do, Larry, and the data that you routinely bring to the board. The fact that you found no similar situation to this one means that I have to at least acknowledge the fact that I might be completely out in left field. So, fact acknowledged. I hope I am.

I just saw this. Nice post and you're welcome!

I've got a good feeling about this storm.  It's hard to argue against a 1040 hp not producing something.  This has been one of the more interesting systems to track with the models never really getting a good handle on it imo.  I think we end up seeing a true mixed bag from snow to sleet to freezing rain, and depending on where the ull tracks we might manage a thump of heavy snow somewhere.  It's interesting to see rain across the grids from the NWS, but the hazardous weather outlook saying a mixed bag.  I don't think anyone really knows whats going to happen.  Climatology certainly aruges against significant fzrn this late in the year, but it looks like a real possibility.  GFS has us hanging around 31-33 and in the past a good CAD has been known to have temps 2-3 below what is modeled.  Here's to the grand finale of winter 2013-2014. :beer::weenie:

I'm cautiously optimistic.

I know I pulled the plug on the system last night. But I just don't under stand how the models have suck about the speed and placement of the HP in the NE. This HP has slowed down alot per models.

Kind of interesting aspect the HP has been mainly in a fast W>E flow zooming off the coast. But recent trends have really changed the direction of it too. More so a NW > SE flow. The good thing about it the HP is going to squash into the storm so its not going NE.

Is RAH saying there is a greater chance for wintry weather in central NC than the models show?

You must read their afternoon discussion. It's one of the best I have read. Basically all of the models have trended colder all day. If the trend continues overnight (like they seem to be doing) they will issue watches and advisories in the morning.

You must read their afternoon discussion. It's one of the best I have read. Basically all of the models have trended colder all day. If the trend continues overnight (like they seem to be doing) they will issue watches and advisories in the morning.

Yeah I saw that. Not sure exactly what it means for RDU though. They had a graphic that showed little or no impact for RDU, but others like WxSouth seem to think it will be a bigger deal than even the models are showing.

WxSouth keeps saying big time storm for central NC, but isn't very specific if that is just for the Triad or the Triangle area, too.

Have you stocked up on bread and milk yet? You know it's just gonna be insane tomorrow when everyone rushes the store. We're probably looking at at least 8 inches around here.

Archived