northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March Madness 03/03/2014 -------> The EURO abides

winterymix

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know I haven't disagreed with a single thing you've said... If it's really 22 F midday Monday, it's going to be sleet, not ZR.

That wasn't why I entered the discussion at all...

yes...the whole conversation started when Yeoman assumed it was 30-31 degrees and didn't realize how cold the models were...that was the only source of disagreement....Our only purpose in correcting him was to alert him that the models were actually much colder than he realized...not suggesting that we were getting an ice storm or that the models were right or that ice accretion in the city is easy...I think everyone has agreed on every point which is why these debates are sometimes pointless....Instead of just saying he didnt realize how cold the model depiction was, he moved the goalposts...

You know I haven't disagreed with a single thing you've said... If it's really 22 F midday Monday, it's going to be sleet, not ZR.

That wasn't why I entered the discussion at all...

I'm not disagreeing with you either. I'd probably be better off not committing to no big ice storm as I'll look like a boob if it happens which is still a possibility. If the models are right with the crashing cold air I'd just bet any zr is somewhat limited. On the flip side if they are too heavy with the crash we might end up pretty marginal. I want to see how tomorrow does even if it's not connected. If we end up like 32 or something tomorrow it might be a good sign we shouldn't totally but the big cold filtering in Monday. Tho maybe that's faulty reasoning and I expect tomorrow to perform more or less anyway even if DCA ekes out a 30 or something.

yes...the whole conversation started when Yeoman assumed it was 30-31 degrees and didn't realize how cold the models were...that was the only source of disagreement....Our only purpose in correcting him was to alert him that the models were actually much colder than he realized...not suggesting that we were getting an ice storm or that the models were right or that ice accretion in the city is easy...I think everyone has agreed on every point which is why these debates are sometimes pointless....Instead of just saying he didnt realize how cold the model depiction was, he moved the goalposts...

Believe it or not I can read a model after 15+ years of staring at them.. I don't believe it will be as cold as the models depict, and even if it's close it going to be tough in DC in March to get accretion.. Disagree if you'd like.. 

Believe it or not I can read a model after 15+ years of staring at them.. I don't believe it will be as cold as the models depict, and even if it's close it going to be tough in DC in March to get accretion.. Disagree if you'd like.. 

agreed...you just didnt stare at them this time...no worries...it wasn't transparent to everybody...

How did the ggem do on 2/13? I have zero recollection. If it verified better than the gfs then I'm huggin it like driftwood after a shipwreck

I can't remember either.  Euro/NAM led the way.  I remember RGEM jumping around a bit..even had a whacky solution bringing the low into Baltimore ~36 hours from the storm.  I thought GGEM caught on with the Euro early but wavered some after that but I may be wrong.

I think Bob was joking.  GFS had a bad storm on 2/13, so it wasn't hard to beat.

GGEM locked onto the storm about a week in advance, and did well throughout.  This looks about right to me:

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y475/dailey9108/1CF7CE7E-1B8A-428E-ABE0-043FA5771ACA_zpsxboamfix.png

Agreed.. 24 hrs maps blow.. temps appear to collapse at all levels pretty substantially throughout Monday. Could be another good run.. Matt is asleep I fear

overnight we flip from NW to SE, and then after around 7-8am we are all snow until around 1pm

it is probably an 8-10 hour snow for the far NW burbs and a 5-6 hour snow for DC....precip type before the flip is hard...euro is in 6 hour increments.. and nobody has good thermal profiles....but euro is the simplest evolution...thump comes in hard around 2-4am....before that is just cloudy or some light rain, drizzle for us here

overnight we flip from NW to SE, and then after around 7-8am we are all snow until around 1pm

it is probably an 8-10 hour snow for the far NW burbs and a 5-6 hour snow for DC....precip type before the flip is hard...euro is in 6 hour increments.. and nobody has good thermal profiles....but euro is the simplest evolution...thump comes in hard around 2-4am....before that is just cloudy or some light rain, drizzle for us here

Thanks, what do the snow totals look like?.

0.4" falls from 7a on...so about 4" of snow.  If I was a betting man without seeing more time increments/thermal profiles, I'd guess we start as drizzle here and switch over to sleet as heavier precip arrives before flipping to all snow in the morning.

Archived